Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Hammer of the Scots» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you have to "attack" an enemy occupied area if you move into it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Can't find this specifically addressed in the rules.

I understand that if you move into an area occupied by enemy units you must stop your movement there. But...must you also ATTACK those units?

If not...this could give you the "defender advantage" in battle if your opponent chooses to attack the units you moved into that area when it is their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacking isn't voluntary - you must fight a battle as the attacker if you move into an solely-enemy-occupied territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your enemy is not going to sit and let you hang out there, by moving into enemy controlled land that is considered attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
A rather important game mechanism to clarify.
A bit confusingly handled as the rules do not come out and state "If moving into an area occupied by an enemy unit you must stop AND ENTER INTO COMBAT with that/those units".
Your opponent could avoid combat all together by retreating on their movement turn. Or not attack you, and choose to build up forces in the area challenging you to attack.

sixthecat wrote:
Your enemy is not going to sit and let you hang out there, ...

They may.
Similar mechanic in some "Zone of Control" hex war games where units must stop when entering an enemies zone of control....but they don't then have to attack that enemy unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Can't find this specifically addressed in the rules.

I understand that if you move into an area occupied by enemy units you must stop your movement there. But...must you also ATTACK those units?

If not...this could give you the "defender advantage" in battle if your opponent chooses to attack the units you moved into that area when it is their turn.

My version of the rules (2.3) say in 4.0, second paragraph

Quote:
Blocks may pass freely through friendly blocks, but must stop and fight a battle when they enter any area containing enemy block(s).

(Bold in original.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Not there in my version of the rules 3.0;

4.0 MOVEMENT;

"Players are never compelled to Move, They must play a card but can do nothing if desired. Moves cannot be saved.

Blocks may pass freely through friendly blocks but must stop when they enter any area containing enemy block(s).

Blocks only move once per Game Turn, except to Retreat or Regroup."

Having deleted the part about having to attack, perhaps they changed this rule between version 2.3 and 3.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
And...just to confuse things, in the rules about Norse movement;

Rule 4.7 Norse Movement;

"The Norse move by sea from a coastal area to any other coastal area and MAY attack." (my emphasis on "may")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, interesting that they changed the wording, so I wonder if they have removed the requirement to attack.

As for the Norse, 2.3 says:

Quote:
The block can move from a coastal area to any other Scottish coastal area and/or attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
mcdeans wrote:
Yes, interesting that they changed the wording, so I wonder if they have removed the requirement to attack.

As for the Norse, 2.3 says:

Quote:
The block can move from a coastal area to any other Scottish coastal area and/or attack.

Looks like they changed the wording a bit on the Norse movement then also between 2.3 and 3.0.
3.0 would seem to state a Norse unit can move to a coastal area occupied by an enemy unit and does not have to attack it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BUT SEE the turn sequence description in the Introduction:

[3] Battle Phase (5.0)
Battles occur when enemy blocks are located in the same area. They are fought one by one in a sequence determined by Player 1.
After all battles are fought, repeat steps [1] to [3] until the Year ends.

Also remember the pinning rule where defender may only move blocks that exceed the number of attacking blocks entering the territory.

4.6 Pinning
In Contested areas, attacking blocks (including Reserves) prevent an equal number of defending blocks from moving.
The Defender (Player 2) chooses which blocks are pinned. The "unpinned" blocks may move normally and attack, except they cannot cross any border used by the enemy to enter the battle (including reserves).

I see what you guys are saying about the language changes but I don't think they were meant to suggest the English and Scots have the option of not fighting when in a contested area - see definition of contested area:

4.5 AREA Control
Areas can either be Friendly, Neutral, or Enemy controlled. Changes to area control are effective immediately.
Friendly: solely occupied by your blocks.
Enemy: occupied by opponent's blocks.
Contested: unresolved battles.
Neutral: vacant areas.

Once an area is contested everyone fights with the exception of those unpinned defender's blocks that opt to go elsewhere - not that Wallace's boys would ever slink off, the English are another matter of course. Same for the Norse - if the Vikings roll into town and the English have the misfortune to be there things will promptly get bloody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
rjpomeroy wrote:
BUT SEE the turn sequence description in the Introduction:

Yes, statements other areas in the rules are more logical if you must attack if moving into an area containing an enemy unit.

Would have been nice if they left the movement rule as stated in version 2.3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt this ruleset could be expanded by at least one page to avoid needless confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.