Subject: Would counterattacking break the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James S.
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
As many others have noted, sometimes an engagement between two perfectly matched fleets will be decided purely by who shoots first, which can lead to fears of imbalance and hesitation to engage in combat.

I'm wondering if there is a simple fix a la games like M:tG, which handles combat "damage" simultaneously.

Essentially, both players (aggressor and defender, named depending on which player is active) would roll simultaneously, with all cannons within range that either player desires to use.

This would eliminate some of the risk of combat and would be a lot more realistic.

Another possibility would be to limit a ship to one counterattack per turn, thus rewarding the player who commits multiple ships to an attack.

Thoughts? I know this game is kinda dead, but my playgroup still enjoys it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd probably completely break it, but feel free to give it a shot anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been attempted a number of times over the years with limited success, but if you've got an idea that works definitely try it out.

The core game rules should still work with counterattacking rules added, but it would break quite a few of the abilities and point costs in the game. You'd have to do some serious rewriting and re-pricing, and/or just toss out anything that didn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Getgen
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group allows the defending ship to counter shoot (with all guns in range) at a increased die roll (+2 = a natural 6 is always a hit), this way the attacker still has the advantage yet the defending player has a resopnse. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy in this game (aside from finding broken combos) is all about maneuvering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.