Popular Tags: GENCON [+] [View All]
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that ticketing is open, what is everyone doing while at Gencon this year. Here's my plan so far:

1- AEG big night of gaming. Woot for games and WOOT for swag too.
2- playing REX - sounds pretty sweet but difficult to get to the table with my friends so looking forward to tryin it out.
3- OrcStomp 5k - my first 5k, figure running at gencon is pretty chillso I won't be too embarrassed about it. Plus I get a tshirt.
4- live SUSD podcast. Hooray for my favorite Limey game bloggers.
5- seminars on the roman imperial crisis, biological and chemical weapons, and cognitive biases in gaming.

Depending on time and spousal attendance I may also try to get into a national security decision making game and maybe play a big game of two rooms and a boom. Plus hopefully some summoner wars and maybe some netrunner casual play.

So what are y'all planning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know about the SUSD appearance until I read your post. Got all excited and went to get a ticket, but sadly it's sold out already.

Sounds like you have some great stuff planned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Manhattan
Illinois
flag msg tools
Diablo Fan
badge
Diablo Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be my first time going, and luckily I got in on the AEG Game Night which has been spoken highly of. Unfortunately that's at the same time as the Dice Tower Live session, which I'll have to skip. Then, even though I'm not much of a role player, I figured I'd try True Dungeon. For games, Werewolf and Two Rooms and a Boom seem ideal for the convention setting. I'm also playing Nothing Personal and Mammoth Catan. The dealer's hall, games library, and auction should fill the rest of the time easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:
I didn't know about the SUSD appearance until I read your post. Got all excited and went to get a ticket, but sadly it's sold out already.

Sounds like you have some great stuff planned!

Sorry you missed the SUSD bit. At least you'll be able to get the podcast for it later. Also, if I recognize your username correctly, didn't you cosplay as Sara Eldwyn last year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I'm so glad it was memorable, thanks, you made my day. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SU&SD tweeted that they couldn't believe the podcast sold out before they even announced it, and that they were trying to track down a bigger space

I got:
Netrunner Thursday Flight
SU&SD Podcast
Mammoth Pompeii
13th Age Newbie Session.

My group also got a big True Dungeon run for about 8 of us.

I'm pumped! My first GenCon and I can't wait. I got everything in my wishlist except for a couple 13th age sessions that overlapped w/ True Dungeon runs. Only really needed 1 anyway so all good here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing for me. All the events on my wish list were sold out by the time I got to the front of the Queue. Was trying to do AEG, Space Hulk and Descent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:
Nothing for me. All the events on my wish list were sold out by the time I got to the front of the Queue. Was trying to do AEG, Space Hulk and Descent

I think I saw you on Reddit As I mentioned there, I don't get nearly enough opportunities to play Space Hulk. If you shoot me a message as we get closer we can try to carve out some time. Big fan of your site btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are also going to be giving Rex a go...Heard so much praise about Dune and Rex, figured I'd give the successor (i.e. the one that is available) a try.

We are also going to be doing the 5k, first one for us as well...good thing to know I won't be alone in taking it "chillso".

Also we are going to try out True Dungeon; don't play any RPGs, but it sounds very interesting.

Finally on our list of new experiences is a beginner's painting class...get so jealous of what people can do pimping out their board games that we need to learn how to up our game's wow factors.

That's what GenCon is all about, right? Trying new things with like minded gamers. Color me excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
SU&SD tweeted that they couldn't believe the podcast sold out before they even announced it, and that they were trying to track down a bigger space

I got:
SU&SD Podcast
Mammoth Pompeii
13th Age Newbie Session.

I'm pumped! My first GenCon and I can't wait. I got everything in my wishlist except for a couple 13th age sessions that overlapped w/ True Dungeon runs. Only really needed 1 anyway so all good here.

Mammoth Pompeii sounds pretty sweet. Might have to look into that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameQuest wrote:

That sucks! Sorry man. Although I am sure you will find something to do with yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:

Mammoth Pompeii sounds pretty sweet. Might have to look into that one!

I have already volunteered to be bodily thrown into the giant volcano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jennette (Metal Meeple)
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Dice Tower Contributor - Keep on rockin' and rollin' dice!
badge
Check out my band at www.morningaugment.com and podcast www.meeplecore.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We are doing the AEG big night of gaming too, very excited about this. Unfortunately the Dice Tower Live event starts at the same time.

Don't want to miss out on the Dice Tower but I heard about AEG's event last year and really wanted to go this year.

AEG is from 8-12 and dice tower live is 8-10. Think it would be worth going to the AEG event and get the swag, then head to Dice tower to catch the rest of it and after 10 head back to the AEG event?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vigovelito wrote:
My wife and I are also going to be giving Rex a go...Heard so much praise about Dune and Rex, figured I'd give the successor (i.e. the one that is available) a try.

We are also going to be doing the 5k, first one for us as well...good thing to know I won't be alone in taking it "chillso".

Also we are going to try out True Dungeon; don't play any RPGs, but it sounds very interesting.

Finally on our list of new experiences is a beginner's painting class...get so jealous of what people can do pimping out their board games that we need to learn how to up our game's wow factors.

That's what GenCon is all about, right? Trying new things with like minded gamers. Color me excited.

Just curious - when are you scheduled for Rex? There's a chance we might be in the same game devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got most of what I wanted! I am so thankful because I was #2417 after submission.

1. FFG Descent Ravens campaign!!!
2. Both True Dungeon events
3. Miniature painting
4. Hirst Molds
5. Marvel Dice

Wish I would have gotten Supper Robo Rally and All Quiet intro though! If anyone has a spare ticket. Took Descent over AEG but that was a tough call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:

I got:
SU&SD Podcast
Mammoth Pompeii
13th Age Newbie Session.

Thanks for mentioning the SUSD thing! I have subscribed to their Twitter so hopefully I'll hear about it if they do find a different venue.

That sounds like a great schedule for your first GenCon. I bet you are going to have a blast!

I'm not doing many of the scheduled events -- most of my gaming will probably take place in the game library. But I am attending Dice Tower Live (what can I say, I have celebrity fever) and the Women and Gaming seminar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in on a game of The Witcher and one of Relic. Plus all the Game Library events. The AEG thing looked to pricey to me. This is my first GenCon and I'm just looking to wander around and play some pick-up games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:
captainraffi wrote:

I got:
SU&SD Podcast
Mammoth Pompeii
13th Age Newbie Session.

Thanks for mentioning the SUSD thing! I have subscribed to their Twitter so hopefully I'll hear about it if they do find a different venue.

That sounds like a great schedule for your first GenCon. I bet you are going to have a blast!

I'm not doing many of the scheduled events -- most of my gaming will probably take place in the game library. But I am attending Dice Tower Live (what can I say, I have celebrity fever) and the Women and Gaming seminar.

NP!

Not counting Netrunner, I only scheduled about 8 hours. I know I'm going to want to explore and meet people and just play random games. I'm so excited; it feels like I'm going to gamer summer camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:
vigovelito wrote:

Just curious - when are you scheduled for Rex? There's a chance we might be in the same game devil

We are signed up for Friday at 7PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into most of what I wanted, but all the Doomtown: Reloaded learn-to-play events were full and so were the Trail of Cthulhu RPG sessions.

The main issue I have left is to decide whether to play in the Doomtown: Reloaded tournament or 40K: Conquest tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
I was 4000+ in the queue, so I had to scramble a bit. my first Gencon, so I didn't quite understand the whole process, but I think I came out pretty decently. The only thing I really missed out on was AEG Game night.

5 friends in True Dungeon
Heroscape championship (where I will get drilled as I am not very good at it, but I do love it so)
Super Robo Rally (the 30 minute one, couldn't get into the others)
Mammoth Star Trek Catan
TMG Catalog Demos

Will probably circle back and try to pick up an intro to mini painting at some point as well, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vigovelito wrote:

If you want to play Dune, I'll just bring my copy and we can set up a place/time to meet. You might as well try the classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For board games, Saganami Island Tactical Simulator on Friday, and the mega-North America Railroad Tycoon on Saturday. Other than board games, the Firefly LARP on Thursday.

I'll also bring my copy of Battlestar Galactica and set up a free event on Wednesday night like I did last year. I'll get the event submitted to the Event system in the next few days to ensure we have a table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Graning
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple mini's painting things a friend wanted to do.
I got into AEG he did not...yuk
True Dungeon
Smash Up World Championship
And something else. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got lucky. I was number 4423 in queue. Though much of what I got was the last remaining ticket, I did manage to get my wife into a couple.

Legends of Andor
Relic
Battle Lore 2
Cosmic Encounter
And Dungeon Fighter, all from FFG.

We got into a card game Thursday morning, and a few other things as well. We keep Friday and Saturday nights open to meet the family in the Games Library. I have two sons that also meet us there. Plus, I have free time all afternoon on 2 days for Vendor Hall demos.

And her sisters families drive over to meet us from Lafayette on Family Day on Sunday.

I am excited beyond words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.