Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just you.

I'm more surprised by people who don't refine their tastes, and seem to just like playing anything.

At the same time, there's something to be said for recognizing quality games in types that you don't like, and poor games in the kind that you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sauer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is perfectly normal, as you invest more time in a hobby, to narrow your interests to those things that you personally enjoy most. I'm not sure I'd call it "refining tastes" exactly, since that to me implies that your preferences are somehow superior for being narrowed, and it can become kind of obnoxious if, in the process of realizing that you enjoy some aspects of the hobby more than others, you develop an attitude that the aspects you prefer are somehow the "better" ones objectively, and those who prefer something different, or have a wider range of interests, somehow have inferior taste.

But I don't see anything wrong with having a specific focus, and enjoying one type of game to all others (so long as that focus doesn't result in you having a much harder time finding opportunities to play. If that happens, that can, I imagine, be rather frustrating).

I don't think I've experienced this myself, yet, but I haven't really had the time to get super serious about diving into the hobby. There are types of games I simply cannot see myself being able to even try, due to lack of time, opportunity and/or funds. I love playing games, but right now I'm restricted to stuff that doesn't take too long, and mostly ones that I can play with the kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dolton

Pennsylvania
msg tools
It's just natural. It's like going back to a film, or book you loved as kid/ teen and realizing it's not that good, or you're simply a different person than your were however many years ago, and what lit your wick then, no longer does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"The Putnam Principle".

Ask about in on Fortress Ameritrash for more details.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
While I often hear of people saying how their preferences has shifted into more complicated, longer, strategic, in-depth games, I've found that mine has shifted the other way and that I am more into shorter games with more chance - the more information I have to keep track of, the more chits needed, the more options available, the less interested I am in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure how old y'all are, but my group and I, we've gone back and forth on this about six times now.

Pete (is in a "heavy-game" cycle right now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, it's to be expected that some people will simply have more varied tastes than others.

For example, if the topic is music, I'm very much a music lover, but the sort of music I really, really like is pretty constrained (heavy progressive rock, no thrash, no speed metal, no screamo, no senselessly long songs or excessive instrumental noodling/wankery, etc.).

However, there are certainly those who love music every bit as much as me, but who truly appreciate a far wider variety of music. (I consider them fortunate in that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My tastes have definitely refined over the past 7-8 years or so, since I started playing regularly again. In fact, I've traded away almost everything I owned at the time I started up my current weekly group.

Jexik wrote:

I'm more surprised by people who don't refine their tastes, and seem to just like playing anything.

I'm not that surprised that there are people like this: What they get out of gaming is probably the social experience, and the chance to try something new & different. (While I've narrowed down my tastes a lot, I will still play almost anything!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:

I think everyone begins to refine their tastes, but many of us aren't going to turn down a game just because it isn't our cup of tea.

We play almost any game, because we value our time spent with the people around the table. I much rather play Apples to Apples (which is saying something, since I rate it terribly) with people I value than to play Mage Knight by myself or with people I don't like. For me, gaming is about friendship and bonding, I can do that with any game, If I can convince a game to the table I like a little more, all the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I've found that my tastes broadened, for the most part.
I tolerate lighter games a great deal more than I once did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's natural. We were talking about this in our game group just last week. Many of us have been very active in the community for 3-4 years now. We have owned and played many, many games between us.

I think it's safe to say we know what we like, and what we don't like. And unfortunately, some of our taste in games don't always match up with people we otherwise enjoy spending time with.

In many cases you have to suck it up and play a game you otherwise wouldn't want to play to appease your friends... Or my personal preference... put the game away when you can't agree on what to play. Talk. Grab a coffee, go out to dinner and build your relationships. I moved to Texas 4 years ago and all of my local friends have come out of my board game group.

I do a fair amount of gaming at home now (whereas two years ago I never gamed at home). I invite one person over and we schedule a game out a week in advance (usually a war game, but not always). I like to have the game table all setup when they walk in the door. I think it's a nice environment in which to play.

I still attend game night, but it's more of a social endeavor. I want to maintain the relationships so that I have a pool of bodies from which to pull for private gaming at home. When my tastes shift back to lighter party games and I need fresh impressionable faces, I need the game group to be alive and well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
calandale wrote:
I've found that my tastes broadened, for the most part.
I tolerate lighter games a great deal more than I once did.

I guess it's the same for me. At least if you look at genres. On the other hand, with more different games under my belt I have gotten better at seeing what I like and what I don't like within the genres. Some themes/mechanisms/designers I stay well clear of now. So I guess it's a bit mixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no. I can stand (what I consider) bad games less than I did before, but as for the genres, the spectrum of what I like has broadened a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To speak on the other side of this issue.. those of us weirdos who DO love playing everything from a 4 hour weighty-brain burner to silly party games-- WE are the people who make it so others don't have to make those decisions. Who wants to play Die Macher and then.. Taboo? Me ! Me !

I am actually incredibly blessed I have a relative horde ( more than a half dozen ) people in my gaming crews here in Austin who are the same -- so thankfully we never have to have this problem-- we all pretty much before a session get the " map" down that even if we don't have the exact games situated yet -- we have the " plan" of medium/heavy/silly party/dexterity/light card etc. etc. situated so that we cover all kinds of genres. I certainly think it's valid when people decide after awhile they only want to play X genre , but I am quite happy I am not of that mindset at all and neither are my most oft-played-with folk. Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would under no circumstances play Risk or Zombies!!! Ever again, even though they both started me down the path to this site eventually. Normal, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gravitated from 30-60 minute abstracts and 'gateway' games to longer and more complex thematic games (BSG, GoT, CE, maybe even Android, among others). But a lot of that has to do with the group I play with. I want to find and play games that are enjoyable for everyone in the group (and not invite people that make this matching harder), so that we can learn and evolve strategies through repeated plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My tastes have changed over the years, but I don't criticize or hate on the things I once loved. Sure, I can see why they no longer work for me, but because I once enjoyed them, I know that someone else out there will love them and I'm not about to diss their fun.

Just because my tastes changed doesn't mean that a game isn't good. It only means that it's no longer for me. It's the same with books I once enjoyed, movies or music. My tastes may change but that doesn't diminish the work in any way for the rest of the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I've found that the games I play lately are easily divided into 2 categories: unsolved games, and just-for-fun games. By unsolved, I mean I think there's room for further optimization (if co-op) or development of the meta (if LCG/CCG). And for-fun games is stuff I will play in order to spend time with friends and not be a wet blanket. I don't really enjoy Munchkin, for instance, but I enjoy the company, so as long as we don't play 5 games of it, I'm okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:

Has this happened to anyone else?

Youngin'...

When I started playing those meaty games(AH Civ/Titan etc) WERE the games that were out there.

My tastes circled from meaty long highly interactive/thematic games to dry calculatable euros, and then back to meaty thematic games.

I'm really back where I started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sense, realizing that the thins you used to like aren't that great as you mature and broaden your experiences is absolutely normal and to be expected.

But ours is a sub-niche of "geek culture", which maintains that everything you were into between ages 12 and 15 were the absolute pinnacle of human achievement, unsurpassed to this day, and they must be revered and kept sacred for all time. So yeah, in another sense, you're a weirdo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone's taste is going to evolve somehow.

I am on the opposite side compare to the OP.

I am almost 2 years in and I find myself unable to find better games than I own. A lot of my games that I rate 8 or higher are still up there and the newer games I've tried can't compete with them. I get a lot of 7s now and it is really hard to find another 8 rated game for me.

Maybe it is because of my owner's bias or maybe the BGG top 100 rank IS the cream of the crop.

I am looking forward to new games that will knock my socks off, but I doubt that will happen soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've become pretty discriminating about the games I buy, but completely open about the games I'll play. The list of games I want to add to my collection is quite small and the list of games I'm removing from my collection is quite large - both lists governed by some pretty specific criteria.

The games I'll play - totally different. I'll try anything and the list of games I won't play again is very short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All things being equal, on any given night, I'd rather play a new game than a game I've played before.

Pete (loves discovery)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:

heavy progressive rock

Quote:
no senselessly long songs or excessive instrumental noodling/wankery, etc.

Since excessive instrumental wankery is a hallmark of prog rock, just wondering what your fave bands are in this genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that my tastes vary a lot with my general life situation: how much free time do I have? How stressed and tired am I at the end of the day?

As time has become more limited, I've become more concerned about maximizing enjoyment from my hobbies. I wish I could go back to those long summers when the goal was just to stave off boredom, and I could happily play Monopoly every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.