Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for next game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zalesky
msg tools
Hello, BGG. I'm relatively new to this more in-depth world, but I'm learning lots and hope to continue playing board games for a long time.

So far, I own Catan, Catan Cities and Knights, Catan Traders and Barbarians, Carcassone with the river + Inns and Cathedrals, Munchkin (pretty much every card for the original game), Cards Against Humanity, Twilight Struggle, and Ticket to Ride: Europe.

I would say we most often play Cities and Knights, with Ticket to Ride and Munchkin slightly less.

I realize this is an extremely vague question, but what should I get next? My friends and I love everything so far that I have. I've been eyeing Power Grid, and Agricola (one of my friends is worried it'll be too similar to Catan) but am open to any suggestions. With my group, I would say they'd prefer something not as deep as Twilight Struggle. Should I get expansions for Ticket?

Thanks again, and happy gaming!

EDIT: changed Power Struggle to Power Grid, ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Falaran
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try a cooperative game like

PANDEMIC
GEARS OF WAR

or go for merchants and marauders or game of thrones for a different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
Pillars of the Earth + Expansion
Imperial 2030
Lancaster (Queen Games)
Terra Mystica
Mag Blast 3rd Ed.
7 Wonders
Ad Astra
Age of Empires III
Kyklades (or Cyclades)
The Princes of Florence
Hansa Teutonica
Infamy
Kemet
Brass
Endeavor
Venetia
Puerto Rico
Troyes
Alien Frontiers
Village
Steam
Game of Thrones 2nd Ed.
Britannia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to reflect on the things that you like about Catan and what you like less about Munchkin and TTR.

Is it the trading and negotiation aspect aspect? Maybe you need to experiment with some games like Genoa or Cosmic Encounter

Do you like the dice and the way that they produce semi predictable results? Maybe you should try Shogun, Cyclades or Eclipse

Do you just like the resource gathering aspect? Maybe you should try Agricola, Goa or Nations

Be warned, most of the games I've just recommended are a fair step up in terms of complexity. Definitely don't get more than one straight away.

Cosmic Encounter and Cyclades are probably the easiest to pick up and have really cool pieces and mechanics.

To answer your question about Agricola. It's in a different world to Catan. Agricola is markedly harder, and a lot more punishing. You have to balance gaining VPs with periodically feeding (or else taking a massive penalty), with having a big enough house. Lots to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than give you a laundry list, let me give a few tips for starting the hobby.

--Use the BGG wish list and maintain it. When you see a game that interests you put it on the list. Research the game with realistic criteria for yourself such as number of players, time length, etc. Let the games that match bubble to the top over time.

--Read critical reviews. Anyone can praise a game to the moon, but you are looking for deal-breakers.

--Get into Geekmodding. Not only does it get you GeekGold, but it turns you on to games you may not have known existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's useful to solicit opinions, but there's also no substitute for either playing a game or, next to that, watching it played. So I'd suggest that once you have a few suggestions that seem interesting you, see if they've been featured on TableTop, or Rahdo Runs Through, or Game Night, etc.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/143757/wil-wheatons-tablet...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/140177/rahdo-runs-through
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/150604/gamenight-episode-l...

These will let you watch all (or most) of a game played through, so you can get a sense of what might be worth spending your money on.

Good luck and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Alhambra. It's a great game that scratches a similar itch that Carc does. I'd suggest checking out the Tabletop episode to get a better idea of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think your next logical choice is Stone Age. It's a great beginner worker placement game and is just a fun experience.

And like many have echoed...YouTube and video reviews are your best friend when you are starting out. Rahdo, Tom Vassel, and Wil Wheaton's "Tabletop" are great places to start!

And when you need to learn a game: Watch It Played is phenomenal and offers many games to teach you how to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Lords of Waterdeep is the next obvious game. Good worker placement game that is a great intro to the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dpickels wrote:
I think Lords of Waterdeep is the next obvious game. Good worker placement game that is a great intro to the mechanic.

This. It's what I would recommend as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zalesky
msg tools
I've been watching a lot of Tabletop episodes (which are honestly fantastic, btw), and I think that both Alhambra and Lords of Waterdeep are the games I'll be checking out next. After that, I think we'll do a rotation of Catan -> Carcassonne -> Ticket to Ride -> Alhambra with a occasional playing of LoWD (and Twilight Struggle with my best bud).

I'm very grateful for all the suggestions, and I'm going to slowly amass a wishlist.

One last question/piece of advice: I've heard a LOT of awesome things about the Game of Thrones game - all of us are gigantic fans of both the books and TV series - I saw some of you suggest it, and was just wondering what more of you thought about it.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.