Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoggoth
Argentina
Rosario
Santa Fe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightning Gun
Any Phase: Lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina and discard Lightning Gun to defeat all monsters in the Sky.

simple as that... when is "any phase" the right time to use this item.

* can I use this item right after I bought it??? (phase 3)

* can I use this item while I'm in Others Worlds? (phase 4)

* can I use this item, after or before resolve a Mythos card? (phase 5)

* what about phase 1? or phase 2, after a combat or while trading items with other investigator?

thanks for the help people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be silly to be able to use it while you're in another world, but apart from that, sure, use it any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Anytime is the right time to use a lightning gun

The words of a man who's not been swimming in Quake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a card says "any phase" it means "any phase that the circumstances arise in which you can use it". For combat-related items this means "any time you are are in combat". It's a generalised timing for items that don't have specific timing requirements (e.g. Healing Stone has Upkeep, Find Gate has Movement, but Shotgun has "Any Phase"). Usually the text of the card helps identify the "circumstances in which you can use it" by having text such as "+X Combat Check", Lightning Gun isn't so helpful with its card text, but the keyword "Defeat" usually means "pass a combat check against", so applicability seems to be limited to combat situations (e.g. Phase II, III or IV and just possibly V), but for practical purposes is likely to be Phase II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Lightning Gun isn't so helpful with its card text, but the keyword "Defeat" usually means "pass a combat check against", so applicability seems to be limited to combat situations (e.g. Phase II, III or IV and just possibly V), but for practical purposes is likely to be Phase II.

But you never run across monsters “in the Sky” during your movement phase.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Lightning Gun isn't so helpful with its card text, but the keyword "Defeat" usually means "pass a combat check against", so applicability seems to be limited to combat situations (e.g. Phase II, III or IV and just possibly V), but for practical purposes is likely to be Phase II.

But you never run across monsters “in the Sky” during your movement phase.
whistle
Phase II 'cos that's the Phase that you tend to be in "dealing with Monsters" mode. Phase II is the phase when Monster in the Sky have any impact that they are going to have. But as there's no constraint imposed by the card, using it in Upkeep could be really useful because of Investigator turn sequence. Using it in Phase IV would be "odd" as has been mentioned. By your reckoning, you (almost? never say never in AH!) never run into monsters "in the Sky" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually use it during an investigator's movement phase. If you gain it during an Encounter, I would say you could use it right away, to avoid flying monsters moving during the Mythos phase.

I don't think the intent is that you can only use it during combat. That would be pretty limited in scope, and you might not want to attack a monster in Arkham just so you could blast the Flying Polyp and Wrait in the sky or hope that you get attacked during an Encounter.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.