Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is an avid magic player. I picked up android net runner in a trade thinking this would be a game we could play together. I got about 800 cards in the trade. Recently was able to organize such that I have a weyland and shaper core decks. After that, I am completely overwhelmed. The rules suck and The jargon is opaque. Anybody out there willing to work through a learning game with me.

Thanks,

Barry

Broy@rltlawfirm.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at any of the online tutorial videos?

FFG Official

Another good one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
This video should be very useful if you don't hear from anybody.

http://youtu.be/g3w0B7txipk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise Ninja'd by Maverick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Moyano Loyola
Argentina
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably you are doing this, but I would separate the core set card and start learning the game from that point. Then choose one faction for each side and start putting more meat from the other 500+ cards that you have. If not, reading all the card + their interactions could be more than overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Alvarez
China
Tracy
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SMC and Test Run are good in Shaper. Djinn in Anarch for viruses ...

... wait a minute ...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Preston
United States
Glenwood Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you are interested, I live in BFE and the closest FLGS is over an hour away so I have started playing games with friends over skype. I would have no problem running through a few beginner games with you to give you an idea of how to play. If you're interested, shoot me a geekmail and I'll get back to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After checking out Mav's advice, message me if you need any help, from one shark to another

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heyvince wrote:
SMC and Test Run are good in Shaper. Djinn in Anarch for viruses ...

... wait a minute ...

:whistle:

For OP and any other newbies in this thread: "tutor" is imported Magic: The Gathering jargon for a card that lets you find another card. It dates back to an old card called "Demonic Tutor".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to sound nipticky, but there are no where near 800 cards, there aren't even 500. Unless you count each playset as 3 cards rather than 1, in which case there are almost 1500.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Not to sound nipticky, but there are no where near 800 cards, there aren't even 500. Unless you count each playset as 3 cards rather than 1, in which case there are almost 1500.

He probably is talking about physical cards received rather than individual unique cards printed. Especially coming from MtG which doesn't have a fixed distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BarryRoy wrote:
My son is an avid magic player. I picked up android net runner in a trade thinking this would be a game we could play together. I got about 800 cards in the trade. Recently was able to organize such that I have a weyland and shaper core decks. After that, I am completely overwhelmed. The rules suck and The jargon is opaque. Anybody out there willing to work through a learning game with me.

Welcome to the game. Spend some time with the rules. Use the rules forum here if anything is unclear. You'll usually get a reply within minutes of posting.

Before you know it, your son will forget about Magic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
BarryRoy wrote:

Welcome to the game. Spend some time with the rules. Use the rules forum here if anything is unclear. You'll usually get a reply within minutes of posting.

Before you know it, your son will forget about Magic

Please, do not ask (rules) questions in the forum before thoroughly searching first. I am pretty sure that any questions you may have have been asked and answered numerous times...in the last week.

I am all for people helping each other in regards to NR-rules but the same questions are asked over and over again, rendering the forums hard to navigate and increases the overall noise.

Even any odd situations you might encounter are more than likely to have been discussed since some people come up with the most fringe cases resulting in absurd rules as soon as a new card that allows that situation is spoiled (and this I mean in a good way, the community will find and destroy/leverage/expose the tiniest "flaw" in wording or other faster than an "oiled flash" - crowd sourcing ftw).

With that said, I do not think the rulebook is bad and there are on top of that exhaustive resources available for new players to learn, and as can be seen in this thread, a communtiy that will help new players to learn how to play this great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
BarryRoy wrote:

Thanks,

Barry

Broy@rltlawfirm.com

Hi Barry,

What game stores are near you? I always teach new players with a few hands-on examples. The learning curve to this game is 2 hours - after that it's just card knowledge and a little math that separates you from a pro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be off by a few hundred, but I have at least two starter sets and a few (maybe 4 expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geek list for teaching decks: The Netrunner Teaching Deck Project - Now With Core Decks too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.