Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Maybe spoilerish if you haven't raided a large UFO yet...)

So I just started playing XCOM this week, played the first couple months a few times to get a feel for the start, and just now made my first attempt raiding an Abductor UFO (the one that I think always shows up in the 3rd month). Something went really, really weird and I can't figure out if it's a game bug or my own misunderstanding. Help? Here's a long description, because I'm not sure what information is relevant...

I entered through the main door right by the drop point, poked my head in the door, and killed the two Outsiders and a few Floaters that popped up. This is all in the big room with the two ramps against the far wall (the one at the North end of the pic here). It's a weird room with the two doors on the sides but with the nav screen thing in the middle you can kind of see over. I chuck a Battle Scanner over the nav screen and light up the space beyond it, and it's clear. I shuffle a couple dudes up (though not actually past the door or even close to it). On the next turn, three Mutons suddenly appear in the space with the Scanner. They didn't open any doors and aren't even near the door. I didn't see them move, they just materialized out of nowhere. Two are clearly visible in the room, but the third seems to be on the other side of the wall. They don't activate. I launch a fire rocket through the gap above the nav screen, which seemed to clearly include all three in the blast, but it only damages one of them. I end the turn in Overwatch, and the next turn all three Mutons apparently drop through the floor onto the ground outside. I could still see their life bars, but don't actually have sight to any of them. Things took a turn for the worse after that, but only because I couldn't tell where the heck the game thought the Mutons actually were or what exactly I had sight to within the area.

So... what happened there? I don't know exactly how spawns work in XCOM. Could the game have spawned the Mutons in a scanner lit room, or are the spawns fixed when the map is generated? The fact that only two were graphically rendered in the room with the blip visible for the third suggests some kind of LOS or collision bug to me. As for the dropping down to the ground, I guess the fire rocket might have opened a breach. But it looked more like they just all went straight down, though it's hard to tell given the camera.

Anyway, this will be my first reloading of a save file so far. Thanks for any wisdom you can share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I can really explain what happened, but I've seen missions go "weird" in similar ways at least once. After backtracking a couple of turns to poke and prod at the strange goings-on, I ended up just backing all the way out to my pre-mission save at base.

I suspect that the root of the problem is the "teleporting enemies" bug. From my understanding, in the original release (Enemy Unknown and not Enemy Within), enemies only move "per the rules" if they're visible. If they're not visible, even if you've seen them in passing, they can warp around, presumably to keep things somewhat random until they are discovered. This is just my loose understanding from reading up on it.

The teleporting doesn't often interfere with a mission, but I can remember a mission where I cornered some enemies in a building and repositioned for a couple of turns before breaching, only to have those enemies miraculously appear behind me in a way that was totally not possible via normal movement. Only happened once. In another instance, I ran into something much more like what you're describing, but the enemy spawning erratically was a Sectopod and this was happening in the woods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks. This was indeed the original EU game, on PC. So perhaps the Mutons warped over there from somewhere else and something got screwed up due to the presence of the scanner and/or doors and/or multi-level LOS. This is the first time I've seen anything like this in a few dozen missions, so I'm not really annoyed or anything. But I think I'd be hesitant to invest time in an Ironman game given the experience.

Did they just drop the teleporting enemies "feature" entirely from EW? I can see the point of it, but it seems highly likely to generate buggy and/or cheesy situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Did they just drop the teleporting enemies "feature" entirely from EW? I can see the point of it, but it seems highly likely to generate buggy and/or cheesy situations.

I don't knopw if it was dropped entirely or not, but there's a lot more normal enemy movement in EW. That is, there are triggers for normal enemy spawning outside of perception range, and then they do their thing. This is only for select enemies though. Not sure whether the range-triggered enemies teleport about or not. As I'm playing on Ironman mode, I am less able to test alternate conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that the teleporting issue is gone altogether in Enemy Within, and I did pick up a copy, but I haven't fired it up yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I've read that the teleporting issue is gone altogether in Enemy Within, and I did pick up a copy, but I haven't fired it up yet.

I'm glad to hear it. I do like how in EW you need to keep a couple of soldiers in overwatch much of the time. Otherwise it is entirely possible for aliens you haven't seen to ambush you on their turn and take out key personnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what described happened to me not sure if recent updates fix it...not been that far in to game since
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Galvão
msg tools
mbmb
What you've experienced is usual when you use Battlescanners and with the way the game moves 'lurker' pods of aliens. There are two types of pods: dormant and lurker, dormant pods are generated on specific locations and remain there until your soldiers move into their range sight and activate them. Lurker pods are designed to move around the battlescape and hunt for XCOM units, but in order to speed up movement (and the chances of you encountering them, to prevent situations like in the original game where you could spend tons of turns hunting for the last alien) the game can 'teleport' them into locations out of sight of your soldiers and sometimes one alien can end up outside the room/location where the rest of the pod is.

This AI behavior was actually worse in EU where you could have pods of aliens teleporting in the middle of your soldiers. In EW it has been almost completely fixed so that inactive alien pods will only teleport to locations out of your soldier's sight. Otherwise, if the AI wants to move a pod and your soldiers have line of sight to their destination, the aliens will walk instead and do their activation dance.

Now, the thing with Battlescanners is that they'll show any pod of aliens on their radius but if the aliens are inactive (they haven't seen any XCOM units yet) the health bars will remain visible even after they teleport away from the Battlescanner (which they shouldn't so it's a bug) so that's why you kept seeing the bars.

The rocket should have activated them though if you damaged one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andre - very informative. Do you know if the teleports happen every turn, or if there's a delay? That is, if I see a pod teleport into a scanner radius, could I just wait it out for a turn if I wanted to avoid it?

The rocket blast made a lot of weird things happen, I think because it destroyed a bunch of walls, including the two columns next to an alien door. The door appeared to stay up, but could no longer be interacted with. I have no idea what that did to LOS. At one point, I was exchanging fire with aliens through what appeared to be a solid wall (should've taken a save). I wonder if somehow the rocket blast convinced the game that a section of floor no longer existed even though it continued to display visually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Galvão
msg tools
mbmb
The frequency of the teleports seems to be random. Sometimes I detect a pod of aliens using a Battlescanner and I start moving my soldiers to ambush it but quite often the aliens teleport before I manage to get my squad in position.

What platform are you running the game (PC, console, other?). Not being able to open the door, even after the structure around it is destroyed, has never happened to me but I ran the game on PC. Explosions can destroy wall but they usually don't remove the floor.

Firing through walls is weird but it is usual - sometimes units will get LOS even though it seems they shouldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbes77 wrote:
The frequency of the teleports seems to be random. Sometimes I detect a pod of aliens using a Battlescanner and I start moving my soldiers to ambush it but quite often the aliens teleport before I manage to get my squad in position.

Yes, I just saw that in a mission yesterday. Whether the timing is random or fixed, the teleports seem to happen pretty quickly. You don't generally seem to have time to do a full repositioning of your squad.

Quote:
What platform are you running the game (PC, console, other?).

PC

Quote:
Not being able to open the door, even after the structure around it is destroyed, has never happened to me but I ran the game on PC.

The door was definitely messed up for me. I had a guy standing directly in front of it, but couldn't get the "open" icon. However, the surrounding structure was so shattered by that point that I'm not whether the door actually blocked LOS or not. It may have just been a graphical glitch where the game kept rendering the door even though it was functionally nonexistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Galvão
msg tools
mbmb
tppytel wrote:
The door was definitely messed up for me. I had a guy standing directly in front of it, but couldn't get the "open" icon. However, the surrounding structure was so shattered by that point that I'm not whether the door actually blocked LOS or not. It may have just been a graphical glitch where the game kept rendering the door even though it was functionally nonexistent.

Several times the icon doesn't appear but I just left click anywhere on the door and it opens (this for EW - on EU only units on the side of the door can open it IIRC). I've never seen a door not functioning although in the new UFO maps added by Enemy Within the door usually doesn't block LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just had a mission in EW where I opened the door on an alien ship on one turn, and then on the next turn one of my soldiers shot a chryssalid in the same space that the doorway was in. From that point onwards, the doorway square became impassable to soldier and alien alike. Though line of sight was not blocked.

I'm really not sure if the doorway had anything to do with it, or whether it was an issue with the dead alien alone. It was an odd situation though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that I was playing Ultima V in 1988 or so, and the game screwed up my save file. Luckily I had several more saves. But I was astonished. This game had a BUG? I had never seen a game with a bug in it before...

Fast forward to today... do you know of any game that doesn't have any bugs?

Back to XCOM: Teleports happen pretty fast. If you discover a group of aliens, it is sometimes tactically wise to withdraw a bit (for instance if your squad is spread out to much). If you then lose sight of the enemy, they almost definitely will teleport on their turn.

I have seen weird things happen in XCOM: enemies teleporting into walls, enemies teleporting into my own soldiers (you can still let a soldier shoot an enemy which is standing in the exact same spot as he is), enemies shooting through walls (which I cannot do), and even in one instance an untriggered enemy running through a doorway that made 13 enemies visible standing right behind that doorway. That wasn't fun.

As for playing Ironman: you can still save the game in Ironman by copying the automatically generated savefile to a different location. I usually do that at the start of each mission, because of crap like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can now confirm that the teleport issue, while perhaps greatly reduced, is not entirely gone from EW. I had the perfect ambush lined up against my team's first Cyberdisc using the Memetic Skin on my sniper to get everyone in place before springing the trap. Then on the next turn, the Cyberdisc just teleports from where it was to put my entire team out of position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.