Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Bequette
United States
East Carondelet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played the game once, I have a tournament on the 31st and would like to work on a solid list. My pool is fairly limited currently, here's what I have to work with, I can probably pick a few things up, but nothing major.

Millenium Falcon
A Wing
B Wing
Starter Set

Can anyone help me put something together, or even just suggestions to help me play better.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you have the makings of a Han Shot First. Though I like it best with two YWings, the original has two rookie XWings, Han and some variation of Luke, Chewie, Falcon Title and determination

http://www.themetalbikini.com/2013/06/han-shoots-first-why-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bequette
United States
East Carondelet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link to the article, it looks like a fairly easy list to pilot. I understand there's a lot of variation available for the list, but how would 2 B-Wings work, like this list:

Han Solo YT-2100 [46] (46)
-Luke Skywalker [7] (53)
-Millenium Falcon [1] (54)
-Veteran Instincts/Determination [1] (55)
-Nien Nunb [1] (56)

Blue Squadron Pilot B-Wing [22] (78)

Blue Squadron Pilot B-Wing [22] (100)

The B-Wings are bulkier and less reliant on the die rolls for defense (X-Wings get 1 more dice than them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More shields but less agility. It should work.

I flew the list with two Y Wings, and it worked. Your biggest issue will be lack of agility. You will go down against concentrated fire. And Wedge will be a beast (you'll roll NO defence dice - it really hurts - I know!)

I might drop Nien Numb to go with 99 points and hope for initiative against Wedge.

God luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that luke is overpriced for what you get. Gunner works just fine. Also, with Han, not sure if veteran instincts is needed. I like the idea of the b-wings. If you dropped Luke down to gunner and dropped veteran instincts, could add in swarm tactics to bring up a blue squad to a PS9 to help kill before they fire back. This would also give you 99 for initiative. Could allow you to move first with b-wing and try for some action denial.

Thought I saw only 1 b-wing expansion, so would have to pick up another one. Otherwise could go with 1 x and 1 b.

Good luck in the tournament

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Honestly, the most effective upgrade combo for Han is probably:

Han Solo YT-1300 [46](46)
-Marksmanship [3](49)
-Gunner [5](54)

Don't worry about Nien Nunb or Millenium Falcon - you don't need to perform many red manuevers at all due to the 360 degree arc on the YT-1300, and you don't want to waste an action on Evade - if something is in range to shoot you, you want to use Marksmanship and shoot *it*.

So: Take a Marksmanship action. Then when attacking:

1) Roll attack dice
2) Do Marksmanship dice modifications help?
3) Re-roll all attack dice using Han's ability if necessary
4) Apply Marksmanship dice modifications

If the attack doesn't result in a 'hit' (see pg 12 of the main rulebook - 'Compare Results' and 'Canceling Dice'):

5) Gunner allows you to make a second primary weapon attack
6) Do Marksmanship dice modifications help?
7) Re-roll all attack dice using Han's ability if necessary
8) Apply Marksmanship dice modifications

Remember that:

Gunner is a second attack, *not* a re-roll - it doesn't affect Han's ability to re-roll dice, and Marksmanship works on both attacks if you took it as an action. The Gunner attack may also be made against a different target if you prefer.

Marksmanship applies *when you attack* this round - *not* just to your first attack, which makes it far more valuable than a focus token.

Target locks aren't useless, but Marksmanship will usually net you better results when combined with Gunner and Han's re-rolls.

Typical 'Han Shoots First' lists:

-Marksmanship [3](49)
-Gunner [5](54)
-Chewbacca [4](58)

Rookie Pilot X-Wing [21](79)

Rookie Pilot X-Wing [21](79)

Don't discount those Rookie pilots! They might have a low PS, but that causes a lot of people to overlook them in favour of attacking Han. Rookies still roll 3/4 dice to attack, and that's enough to kill a TIE.

-Marksmanship [3](49)
-Gunner [5](54)

Gold Squadron Pilot [18](72)
-Ion Cannon Turret [5](77)

Gold Squadron Pilot [18](95)
-Ion Cannon Turret [5](100)

Han loses Chewie to make way for Ion Cannons on the Y-Wings - and those things are an epic PITA. Use them to walk fighters into asteroids, disrupt formations, and even to walk Large ships off the board with consecutive attacks. Less direct aggression than the X-Wing variant, but probably more flexible, and tougher to take down due to the extra Hull/Shields on the Y-Wings.

However, as you don't appear to have any Y-Wings, I would consider running something like the following list:

-Marksmanship [3](49)
-Gunner [5](54)

Rookie Pilot X-Wing [21](75)

Blue Squadron Pilot B-Wing [22](97)
-Ion Cannon [3](100)

It's not quite as flexible as the Y-Wing/Turret list, but it still has the ability to ruin carefully laid plans with Ion tokens (and don't forget that the Ion Cannon is a secondary weapon - you can always ignore it for the Primary 3/4 dice attack if that makes more sense)

If you can get hold of one, I would recommend swapping the Ion Cannon for Advanced Sensors. It costs the same number of points, and the ability to take an action before moving (combined with a 2 speed K-Turn) can make the B-Wing a real PITA. This card is currently only available in the Lambda Shuttle expansion.

Whatever you decide to use, have a great time and remember - Fly Casual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an excellent "mini article." Just one thing:
SeraphTC wrote:

If you don't get any hits:

That should read "If the attack doesn't 'hit'". In other words, regardless of how many hits you rolled, if the target ship evaded the attack (evade results equalled or outnumbered hit/crit results), then Gunner (or Luke Skywalker) triggers and Han gets another attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
iNano78 wrote:
SeraphTC wrote:

That should read "If the attack doesn't 'hit'", regardless of how many hits you rolled. In other words, if the target ship evaded the attack (evade results equalled or outnumbered hit/crit results), then Gunner (or Luke Skywalker) triggers and Han gets another attack.

Absolutely correct - poor wording on my part! Thanks for picking that up. I'll amend the post now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though marksmanship is awesonme (especially with Gunner), it requires an action. The Falcon needs to evade to stay alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TnT! wrote:
Though marksmanship is awesonme (especially with Gunner), it requires an action. The Falcon needs to evade to stay alive.

Where Han is concerned, I strongly disagree. In this configuration the YT-1300 is best employed dealing damage, and dealing it quickly. Using Evade with Han prevents only 1 hit per turn, compared with the Marksmanship + Gunner combo, which often results in a dead TIE almost every turn. Removing Marksmanship from the equation results in a greatly reduced damage output.

If you want a YT-1300 to act more like a tank, use Chewbacca with Draw Their Fire. Something like this should work for the OP:

Chewbacca YT-1300 [42](42)
-Draw Their Fire [1](43)
-Millennium Falcon [1](44)

Biggs Darklighter X-Wing [25](69)
-R2-D2 [4](73)
-Shield Upgrade [4](77)

Blue Squadron Pilot B-Wing [22](99)

If the cards were available, I'd consider swapping R2-D2 for R2-F2, the Shield Upgrade for a Stealth Device, and putting Advanced Sensors or an Ion Cannon on the B-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbequette wrote:
So I've played the game once, I have a tournament on the 31st and would like to work on a solid list. My pool is fairly limited currently, here's what I have to work with, I can probably pick a few things up, but nothing major.

Millenium Falcon
A Wing
B Wing
Starter Set

Can anyone help me put something together, or even just suggestions to help me play better.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Charles,

I played something like this list at last years nationals:

YT- Lando Calrissian (points total 50)
Gunner, Falcon title

X-Wing - Biggs Darklighter (points total 29)
R2-D2

X-Wing - Rookie (points total 21)

My plan for most games was to place biggs on the far left of the board with Lando just at range 1 to his right. (Or vise-versa) My mission was to fly around the edge of the board with the big YT stopping anyone getting to range one of biggs. With the rookie playing the flanker/blocker its very hard to breakdown if you fly well.

My two losses of the six were modified and they where due to good flying/blocking from my opponent and the usual 'handful of blanks' dice related story. Its a very forgiving build for your first tournament and makes your opponent play.

Just remember to use your actions, its very easy to get wrapped up in the tactics and end up missing assigning vital actions.

Also remember to play cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bequette
United States
East Carondelet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does the gunner card come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbequette wrote:
Where does the gunner card come from?

Yea that's the Slave 1 set.

You could always try to borrow one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or try this:

YT- Lando Calrissian (points total 45)
Falcon title

X-Wing - Biggs Darklighter (points total 33)
R2-D2 Shield Upgrade

B-Wing - Blue (22)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeraphTC wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
SeraphTC wrote:

That should read "If the attack doesn't 'hit'", regardless of how many hits you rolled. In other words, if the target ship evaded the attack (evade results equalled or outnumbered hit/crit results), then Gunner (or Luke Skywalker) triggers and Han gets another attack.

Absolutely correct - poor wording on my part! Thanks for picking that up. I'll amend the post now

also as a nitpick Huge ships suffer no affect from ionization. Only small and large ones do. I know what you meant, but it matters now that there ARE 3 different sizes of ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Vidfreaky wrote:

also as a nitpick Huge ships suffer no affect from ionization. Only small and large ones do. I know what you meant, but it matters now that there ARE 3 different sizes of ships.

Not a nitpick - valid point. Edited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeraphTC wrote:
Vidfreaky wrote:

Not a nitpick - valid point. Edited

So why are you not telling him that huge ships do suffer from ionization effects, they draw one less energy in the gain energy phase for each ion token, either that or I'm reading my rules wrong again since its not possible to misinterpret them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Verhelst
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowpers wrote:

So why are you not telling him that huge ships do suffer from ionization effects, they draw one less energy in the gain energy phase for each ion token

Yep, you're right. I hadn't actually seen that part. I was lumping ionization in with focus evade and stress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vidfreaky wrote:
Cowpers wrote:

So why are you not telling him that huge ships do suffer from ionization effects, they draw one less energy in the gain energy phase for each ion token

Yep, you're right. I hadn't actually seen that part. I was lumping ionization in with focus evade and stress.

Yeah I do apologise as the acidity in my remark was not intended for you. It seems that you, like me, miss some things in the rules. There are others that feel its ok to pour scorn on those that get something wrong even when it's clear they don't have the perfect grasp of the rules they think they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cowpers wrote:
Vidfreaky wrote:
Cowpers wrote:

Because it isn't relevant to the post referred to in this thread, which deals with regular 100pt lists, and does not involve Huge ships in any way.

The OP does not own any Huge ships, has only played the game once, and was looking for advice for a tournament list.

Clarity was needed on my post (which is why I edited it), and there was no need to cloud the issue discussing rules for additional ship types.

Quote:
Vidfreaky wrote:

Cowpers wrote:

Yeah I do apologise as the acidity in my remark was not intended for you. It seems that you, like me, miss some things in the rules. There are others that feel its ok to pour scorn on those that get something wrong even when it's clear they don't have the perfect grasp of the rules they think they do.

If you're aiming that at me, all I've tried to do on the other thread you're referring to (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1174918/twice-the-treadwell-...) is help you out in a case where you didn't understand a basic concept. I haven't poured anything but advice, and I've been polite in the process.

Rather than sniping at people, keep personal issues to the relevant thread or send a polite PM and address the problem maturely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeraphTC wrote:

Rather than sniping at people, keep personal issues to the relevant thread or send a polite PM and address the problem maturely.

Well no it wasn't entirely at you, more a combination of your really helpful "This, this and this" post which was not helpful in any way at all was it? Followed by the esteemed gentleman who seems to think his command of English is so extra-ordinarily good he can take the p*** out of others.

Still, in the interest of keeping the forums clear of 'annoyed' posts I'm happy to drop you a pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seraph TC
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cowpers wrote:

Well no it wasn't entirely at you, more a combination of your really helpful "This, this and this" post which was not helpful in any way at all was it? Followed by the esteemed gentleman who seems to think his command of English is so extra-ordinarily good he can take the p*** out of others.

The post of mine you referred to here was in itself referring to three rule clarifications (hence the use of the word 'this' three times).

The other guys views are nothing to do with me.

Thanks for sending me a PM - I'll respond shortly and we'll leave it out of this thread.

OP: Sorry for the temporary derail, and good luck in your tournament!

(A new thread with details of your list and experiences would be great if you feel like posting )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise apologies for derailing your thread, thanks for the pm Seraph, appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.