Popular Tags: [View All]
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I bought my god knows how many'th ship... I gleefully unpacked my (2nd) Borg sphere, and with it packed away 3 shiny new B-Wings as I've been tempted to get X-Wing back on the table, and also a Tholian prize ship - thanks to Rob who kindly gave me his as I will not be able to compete again at Game Kastle since the next event is on my Daughter's Birthday.

The ritual... we know it well. Box cutter to the insane plastic packaging that would keep thieves out of Fort Knox. Then the punching.

Perusing the ship cards. Ooh, these Tholians sound nifty... oh... no... wait, never mind. These B-Wings are not bad... but dang I'm going to have to buy three Lambda's to get use out of them?!

The making of piles. The sorting. Assembling the maneuver dial and cursing because the damn thing does not go in straight and has caused the cardboard to get all lumpy. Then the putting of the cards into the proper sleeves. The entombing of the ships into their proper plano slots. All so very satisfying.

And then, as I reach the zenith of satisfaction. The point at which all is ordered and good and put in it's proper place in this world... that's when I did it.

I looked at the pile of excess shield, and disable, and evade, and target lock tokens. I contemplated digging once again into the bin and pulling out the zip lock baggies full of carefully sorted identical tokens which are never used (as my micro-plano box has plenty of every token I could use -even that one time that we ran a twelve person game in Tahoe).

Forget that! I grabbed the cardboard waste sprues and those cursed tokens alike and flung them both into the trash. As I did so I burned with shame, for I knew... knew mind you! I knew that someday I *might* possibly consider reusing some of those excess tokens for some other purpose. Prototyping a new game, or perhaps tiling my bathroom, and yet here I was... carelessly wasting the efforts of some poor Chinese wage slave.

Yet, as I did it I also felt good. And I laughed! I was free! Free from the tyranny of those damned extra counters!

Now.. exhausted and light headed from my transgression I come to you... and ask... have you done it too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. If I ever need to sell off ships, someone's going to need those tokens!

...Even if they don't really need them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am neither as strong nor as bold as you...I remain bound. I will keep my ..precious!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently trying to minimize bits such as attempting to make hand made action dice that have all the actions each of the faces. So instead of needing tokens for what each ship is going to do you take the die and turn it to a scan, evade, etc.

I've yet to do it but I also want to try just marking sleeved maneuver cards VS turning all the maneuver dials (and of course having to haul them around) which would cut down on my mobile storage requirement ALOT as I am apparently the "provider of ships" these days.

My other idea is to use my Chessex blue and red dice to denote shields, so active would just be blue and then when a player cloaks they switch to red dice, that would reduce my shield token carrying to zero.

Don't worry about the Romulan one not actually being able to fire in 360 degree's since the image shows it shooting from the front... I couldn't find a source image of a Romulan weapon that would actually fire in any direction.

I've done up a few proxy cards to play around with and did up these "Faction Pure" versions of Dorsal Weapons Array (costed at 4 points) for fun and I use my spare duplicate unique cards in the sleeves with the prints so they feel the same.

As my collection grows I want to have a minimal amount of extra parts and any changes I can make only make things easier.

I'll post a picture of the custom "action dice" when I get them finished for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
hand made action dice that have all the actions each of the faces.

This is brilliant. ...Hell, if there's interest, we could get Chessex to mass produce such things for as little as 2.50 apiece. Someone Kickstart that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need to as I lose a steady stream of tokens during OPs. As well as dice, movement templates, damage deck cards and even a B'Rel movement dial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:

As my collection grows I want to have a minimal amount of extra parts and any changes I can make only make things easier.

I'll post a picture of the custom "action dice" when I get them finished for you guys.

Here's a bad image of what mine looks like. It does help keep down on clutter, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweiser wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:

Here's a bad image of what mine looks like. It does help keep down on clutter, for sure.

That looks awesome, are they images printed for each side or actual Chessex (or another company) custom dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, just missed this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/customgamelab/custom-ga...

Would have been a good way to try it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tile your bathroom - awesome

I have tossed out a few, mostly shield and disabled tokens. Recently been tempted to toss out more

@ Crisis of Face : Very nice work - I am guessing it is a blank die with stickers? I like how you changed the cloak token to be the defiant silhouette Hope to see you post the images for all 6 sides

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
MaximumDT wrote:

That looks awesome, are they images printed for each side or actual Chessex (or another company) custom dice?

Custom printed images for each side.

Another bad photo ahoy (I really miss my old lighting setup):

1) Standard ship, for size reference
2) Action Die version 1: Images were printed on sticker paper, then attached to wooden cubes. They measure .5 inches, same as the Chessex dice you are considering.
3) Action Die version 2 + Hull and Shield trackers: Images were printed on sticker paper, then attached to these guys:
http://indentedblankdice.com/

They measure .75 inches approximately.
4) Cookie, for size reference (also for eating).

I think version 1 is a little too small, but version 2 a little too big. If I could find a middleground size, that'd be swell.

JustinKase wrote:

@ Crisis of Face : Very nice work - I am guessing it is a blank die with stickers? I like how you changed the cloak token to be the defiant silhouette Hope to see you post the images for all 6 sides

Thanks for the kind words.
Here's what the dice face look like:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - nice work

Are you going to track disabled shields via another die - such as with Red numbers? While a cloaked ship could just set the die aside, if someone used a card like Scotty, you would potentially need to track active and disabled shields at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Given that this game gives us 42,285.3 DISABLED tokens, I've just been stacking them on top of the Shields die to indicate how many are down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not the cardboard tokens that get to me. Except the Critical Tokens. Seriously, anyone actually use those? And the Generic Captains are annoying too.

For me, it's the bases. Especially since I managed to score one set of each color, all those clear plastic bases make me angry. I'd put them in the Recycle Bin, but I don't think they are a recyclable kind of plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
It's not the cardboard tokens that get to me. Except the Critical Tokens. Seriously, anyone actually use those? And the Generic Captains are annoying too.

For me, it's the bases. Especially since I managed to score one set of each color, all those clear plastic bases make me angry. I'd put them in the Recycle Bin, but I don't think they are a recyclable kind of plastic.

Those are actually useful if you want to display all your ships in one of those clear plastic 'model/trophy display cases'. You need a stand for each ship, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Mordaenor wrote:

Those are actually useful if you want to display all your ships in one of those clear plastic 'model/trophy display cases'. You need a stand for each ship, then.

Also useful for this: DIY Alternate Color Bases
(shameless plug)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt - thank you for this! Yes I did this last week. You captured the feeling that goes along with this beautiful/insidious act perfectly! The feeling of long awaited satisfaction mixed with the ominous dread that you've done something that you will come to regret later. Wonderful and terrible all at the same time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Momtoast
United States
Secane
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, me being the finicky person I am, each of my ships has its own little baggie with the cardboard bits required for that ship. Including the Critical Hit tokens, which I almost never use. That way, I just have to pull out the ship and its little baggie and I'm good to go.

I have a plan for the clear bases too. I saw someone mod their bases with bb's and magnets so that the ship on top could pivot around. Looked pretty cool. But I can't abide the idea of cutting the colored bases. So I will have a set of magnetic bases, and a set of regular ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be ashamed of yourself!!

Not so much for tossing them but for tossing them in the GARBAGE!!

Recycle, man!!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
You should do another picture (another cookie too) with the original tokens for scale :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweiser wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:

What do you do if a ship is both Cloaked & Evades? Or Battlestations & Scans? What happens if all your ships do more than one basic Action? Just use multiple dice? How does that reduce the number of tokens very much?

If you don't want to carry all the tokens every time then just don't. Here's my solution:

The left is Shield tokens. Middle front is Target Locks (obviously) and Evade or Cloak tokens. Right front is Disabled and misc. (for random effects). I often put my Sulu token in here. Along the back is Battlestations (looks like I'm missing one) & Aux and Crit & Scan tokens. 8 each of the BS/Aux/Crit/Scan. This is enough tokens for 2 players of 3 ships each. (Except the Borg. Probably not enough Shield tokens for that many Borg ships. Probably enough for 4 Borg ships though.)

I'd actually like to get something even smaller, enough for just me and use that on game days.

Again, this is for 2 players. In my "take everything" case I try to carry enough that I can outfit two players with any ships in my collection and any scenario. In my OP case (I need an actual case for this, not just a plastic bin) I pull out just what my fleet needs and nothing else. I put the exact number of tokens, dice, move templates, cards in a bag (tokens) or small box (ships) and leave the rest behind. Or take the rest to my car & leave it there in case I forgot something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DS000FSD wrote:
You should be ashamed of yourself!!

Not so much for tossing them but for tossing them in the GARBAGE!!

Recycle, man!!! laugh

Well yes, I did actually. But I think of the compost, paper recycling, glass and plastic recycling, and landfill bins as all subsets of "the garbage".

As in, "Honey, did you take out the Garbage?" If I answered yes, but had only hauled out one of the four bins...shakeshakeshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Chow
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
davedujour wrote:

What do you do if a ship is both Cloaked & Evades? Or Battlestations & Scans? What happens if all your ships do more than one basic Action? Just use multiple dice? How does that reduce the number of tokens very much?

If there are multiple tokens, I put out multiple dice. I've never needed more than 8 total.

As for the reasoning for using dice instead of tokens, it's just more manageable to me. I like pieces that are a little more substantial on the table, where possible. Totally a personal preference thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweiser wrote:
davedujour wrote:

If there are multiple tokens, I put out multiple dice. I've never needed more than 8 total.

As for the reasoning for using dice instead of tokens, it's just more manageable to me. I like pieces that are a little more substantial on the table, where possible. Totally a personal preference thing.

Okay, I get the larger, most substantial thing. Easier to grab off the table and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweiser wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:

That's awesome, and for those opening turns where everything is out of range (and you are running a non-cloaking fleet) and have no useful actions to perform you can literally just roll a dice to see which irrelevent token to put next to your ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.