Subject: Stupid question - powering cards... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for this question in advance, as it might have been asked multiple times, might even be clearly explained in the rules (which I do not have on me). To be honest, I have been thoroughly confused by the SU&SD video review.

So, here is the question...

...do you NEED to play a second card to power the card you want to use (i.e. place it, front down, underneath)? Or can you also power your card by only PLACING NATIVE AMERICAN meeples on it?

I was so sure that you could do the latter, without the need to play another card, but now I am thoroughly confused. And I will play it tonight, but won't have the time to go through the rules again, beforehand.

Please, fellow travellers, rescue me from this island of confusion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use just a native without playing a second card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For powering you can use 0 to 1 cards in combination with 0 to 3 Indians with the restriction that the overall activation power is between 1 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I thought he had got it wrong too, and got the rules out to check. It's pretty clear, and as the other commenters have said, yes you can. Either power with a card alone, a card with meeples, or just with meeples, up to 3 power.

I doubt that will change Quinns opinion even slightly as I don't think this game matches his tastes at all. Me, I thought the game was excellent, albeit with low numbers of players (2-3 max).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your answers.

I think that Quinns and his pals didn't realize that there are several possible ways to play this game. It is very well possible to cover vast distances quickly, if you stock the correct ressources and play your (correct) cards right. Therefore, I think that a runaway leader can still be caught up with. It all depends on the cards, and how well you play...

But I also think that this game invites players to overanalyse, and fall into AP easily. Which is why it can drag a lot. So far, I only played with 4 players, but I can see this hitting the table with 4, too. 5, I am not so sure about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for runaway leader, one of the neat things about the game is that the strategy to move quickly up the river is not necessarily the same strategy to get thru the mountains and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.