Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Variants

Subject: Houseruling to play with young child (5 years old) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've been playing the game for three months with my son, once a week every week. Very fun game with great components for quite cheap.

But in order to play with a kid that young it needs some house ruling, and I would like to share that with you, for people considering the game to play in a family set. I must say I only play with my son as I would get different kind of games to play with adults (cosmic encounter anyone ?)

My son really like the game because of the theme (yeah fire fighters), the immersion (every action like extinguish the fires and save people are very realistic and immersive) and he likes to see fire spreading almost as I like it (it is almost as memerizing as watching real fire).

We first played the family version but he asked for the advanced one because he wanted roles. And he's right: roles are great. He takes the role he prefers which are also the easiest: the deck gun commander and the one with 3 free aps to extinguish fire. He specializes in blocking fire which is good as I don't have to help him much with tactics.I choose the place that need to be "treated" in priority and after he can play his part alone. I take the roles specialized in saving people and the chief, as it needs more planning and choices. I try to not "alpha"him, I just try to get him focused on what we have to do. Tactics are very very difficult at that age.

The problem with the game is that he can't stand people dying. The game is very tense and emotional from a kid point of view. Too real also. So it's hard for him to have enough distance to accept pois death. The first house rule is that we move pois when the fire strike on them. It's an interesting mechanic as it change the placement of pois. But it also means that we can't loose by having people dying but that's ok as the main problem is the structure (the black cubes) which is enough difficulty for us.
Also when a fire fighter is hit by fire is only knocked down and we draw dice for fire without any action for him for this turn. He rise again at his next turn.

We also turn over poi's as soon as we are in the same piece, not when we are on them. Which makes the games way easier.

With no people dying, he can immerge totally in the universe. The main stress is now to be able to save 10 people before the building collapses. Which we do every time but usually with very close. The challenge is here enough for me, and the most important thing is that we have fun playing the game.

We also don't play with hazards material but we play all the other advanced rules with fairness.

Also in the building of the game we make the 3 or 4 first explosions with drawing dice without using the set-up. It's much funnier I thing as we have some really interesting explosions occurring. Sometimes it's too easy, sometimes too hard, but we are more roleplaying this than "puzzle-playing" this so it's okay with us.

As a last advice, I could say: if you have a kid (boy a girl) that digs firefighting (but who doesn't ?) you have no excuse to not take this fabulous game ! We really have fun with this, and I like the emotional part. Even if it means that in order to not making it too emotional, we prevent deaths from pois.

Have fun board gaming with kids !

PS:
we also use the dog but enable to find the expansion at a decent price, we use a playmobil dog. He does like the dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We also turn over poi's as soon as we are in the same piece, not when we are on them.

Should this be room and not piece?

Sounds like good rules.

I played for the first time with my daughter and we played on family level without the vehicles.

But then she said: "It is smarter for me to enter from that door when I want to rescue that one, than walk through the fires" and that was when we brought on the Ambulance to ride around the house.

A great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome writeup! Many thanks for those great ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Quote:
We also turn over poi's as soon as we are in the same piece, not when we are on them.

Should this be room and not piece?

I was thinking it might be a spell-correction of "place"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Piece should indeed be read "room". The french world for "room" slipped under my finger. My badmodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.