Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Tannhauser. The very first board game that I taught to my girlfriend, Sarah. In retrospect - what was I thinking? Why not start with Settlers, or something else nice and simple? Well, I didn't - but things miraculously worked out, and Tannhuser is one of the many, many games that we enjoy playing together. So anyways, I figure that one of my favourite games needs some BGG love and attention, and I decided to post a session report of our most recent match.

Sarah (Union) beat me (Reich + Mercenaries) in a very tight capture the flag game, played on the Catacombs map.

I had Karl Zermann, Gorgei (first time using), Wolf, 2 x Shocktruppen. Sarah had McNeal, Barry Daniel Brown, Tala, Commando Alpha, Commando Delta.

I picked the Shocktruppen for their defensive abilities, and went for a "mercs" themed squad, plus I loaded out Zermann with his command pack to help with initiative. Sarah went for a heavy-hitting squad load-out, taking a good couple of combat packs, and stamina on Barry and the Delta.

Starting the game, Sarah managed to sprint and grab an early flag with McNeal, but my Shocktruppen virtually wiped him out (using extra ammo and good rolls), finishing him off the next turn by using overwatch before McNeal could escape. (McNeal dead)

Sarah managed to nuke Zermann with Tala (TNT and extra ammo) while he was pushing towards a flag himself, but my second Shocktruppen managed to get vengeance, rolling 5 hits and Tala getting zero shock results. Barry Brown then got his own revenge the next turn, wiping out my Shocktruppen with a heavy barrage of Flash Gun fire. A seriously bloody game so far! (Zermann dead, Tala dead, Shocktruppen dead)

In the centre, Wolf put down a wolftrap, and Commando Delta took the pain to steal a flag. Gorgei grabbed a flag from the centre himself, but a well placed grenade from Commando Alpha put some serious pain onto both Gorgei and Wolf. Gorgei got some payback, blowing up Commando Alpha in one shot with a grenade, but Commando Delta survived with the flag despite only having one hit left. (Commando Alpha dead)

Gorgei and the Commando managed to track back and plant flags. Gorgei needed back-up from the Shocktruppen who had killed McNeal, with the trooper healing Gorgei after the rampaging Barry dealt him a fresh wound.

As Gorgei (now healed) dashed and planted the flag, Barry managed to grab a second flag nearby (the dead McNeal having dropped his elsewhere). Wolf, who had earlier used a morphine shot to escape Barry's attentions and was now also carrying a second flag, changed his plan in order to cut off Barry, as Barry was closer to home.

At this point, Sarah was down to just 2 soldiers, while I had Gorgei push for a flag, with the Shocktruppen and Wolf trying to cut off Barry. Barry had taken a couple of hits by now, but managed to heal himself as he dragged the flag ever closer to home.

Wolf and the Shocktruppen went for a "pincer" to block Barry in a corrider. Wolf had taken the +1 stamina bonus at the beginning of the game, so I felt liek I had at least an outside chance of succeeding. Wolf unloaded some hot lead at Barry, but the burly man shook it off. In the meantime, Commando Delta moved into place to defend Barry's back, taking the Shocktruppen on face-to-face.

In a crucial turn, Barry charged at Wolf, bull rushing him in order to escape the corrider. I rolled three successes with Wolf, feeling confident... and Sarah then rolled four of her own, and Barry barrelled through the mercenary! In a final act of desperation, by Shocktruppen tried to bull rush the Commando Delta in order to get some shots off at Barry, but the Commando stood firm.

The spiteful Shocktruppen let rip with his machine gun, and having not moved, his "Mad Minute" ability gave him 6 dice, obliterating the wounded Commando. He set off after Barry, but by now had aleady used his attack for the turn. (Commando Delta dead)

So it was down to the final turn, with Barry being in sight of the entrance. Gorgei closed in on a flag himself, but it all came down to the initiative rool. Sarah just pipped me, 5 to 4 (I was rather sad at losing Zermann's +3 bonus from Oberlieutenant!). Barry was free to charge to the entrance, plant the flag, and gain victory for the Union despite being the only survivor!

End result: Union 2 flags, Reich 1 flag.

Casualties:
Union - John McNeal, Tala Aponi, Commando Alpha, Commando Delta

Reich - Karl Zermann, Shocktruppen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up, thanks. Keep the AAR's coming.
Tannhauser does indeed need, and deserves more love.
I came to the game very late. After much researching and reading between the lines I took the plunge, and definitely don't regret it.
It seems to me, the initial lack of equipment cards and revised rulebook release sealed its fate unfortunately.
But almost lost behind a wall of negativity lies a brilliant game. cheers again Reuben thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cronje
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
Great write up, thanks. Keep the AAR's coming.
Tannhauser does indeed need, and deserves more love.
I came to the game very late. After much researching and reading between the lines I took the plunge, and definitely don't regret it.
It seems to me, the initial lack of equipment cards and revised rulebook release sealed its fate unfortunately.
But almost lost behind a wall of negativity lies a brilliant game. cheers again Reuben thumbsup

Cheers Lee! As long as some people appreciate them, I'll keep the reports coming as/when I play

I do agree that poor first edition rules probably soured a lot of early adopters, which is a crucial period for any game to gain a large audience. I've never played the original rules, but the revised rules seem to be a huge improvement and I love the game.

I'm just glad FFG kept up the support for as long as they did. At the beginning of last year, I got paranoid that they would stop producing the game, so I went a bit crazy and bought EVERYTHING, haha! (I keep opening a new pack every couple of months to keep things fresh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep playing Tannhauser! Great game that deserves more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not alone. I too panicked and bought the lot! Frankenstahl being the last and hardest for me to get. Looks like a justified move now though, as support and product are finished. Can't fit it all in the base and Novgorod boxes, which is very upsetting!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I also bought everything but have still to find some time to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mekane wrote:
Keep playing Tannhauser! Great game that deserves more plays.

Agreed! More AARs, please!

(I would submit my own but currently my games and I are separated and it'll be several months before we are reunited again )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.