Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Champion

Greencastle
Indiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering how people here feel that the game is a good simulation of the Cold War. Is it good overall? Is it a good simulation but not accurate? Is is accurate but not a good simulation? Is it neither?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Wauthoz
Belgium
Ath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's a good simulation of the mindset of those who participated in the Cold War (particularly from the American point of view) and it's really good at conveying this paranoid and particular feeling but, on the contrary, it's not very good at simulating what really happened.

For example, the Soviets will always (or nearly always) be much stronger on the board than historically. Likewise, the power of US economy is not a factor in the game. Some have already pointed that the fact than De Gaulle or Willy Brandt are events favoring the Communist player is questionable at best.

To be fair, the designers have mentioned that Twilight Struggle took some "fantasies" of the Cold War as true, like the domino theory which proved false. They did not attempt to make a real simulation of the Cold War as it really happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But as a good game on Cold War? For me probably the best there is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game, but it's not a great simulation. The word "simulation" is usually pejorative on this site precisely because a good simulation does not make for much of a game. Rather than attempting to simulate historical patterns of influence, TS uses abstracted historical events for its cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think of it as the CIA and the KGB having complete control over what happens in the game, then yes, it is a great simulation of what could have happened. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone attempted to artifically create a game log using twilight struggle to historically represent what happened? ie. what moves would be made by which side in which order with which results to be historically accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really ...
guywithgzus wrote:
Wondering how people here feel that the game is a good simulation of the Cold War. Is it good overall? Is it a good simulation but not accurate? Is is accurate but not a good simulation? Is it neither?

It fully simulate the "Cold War paranoia" - so I'd say that from this point of view is extremely well-done ( and this is likely to be one of main explanation for its success ).

But as a simulation in sense of "historical one" it is actually more the opposite : as long as competent player will try to prevent some key enemy-events at any cost ...

I'd use the term "alternate-history game-builder" instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The true test, though, is to ask "is it fun?"

The answer is a resounding "YES!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thingol wrote:
To be fair, the designers have mentioned that Twilight Struggle took some "fantasies" of the Cold War as true, like the domino theory which proved false.

Hmmm. I wonder how the folks in Laos and Cambodia felt about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guywithgzus wrote:

I think the game first and foremost puts you in the mind of some of the american leaders at the time. They were the ones who worried about the domino theory. They were the ones who thought all communists were directed from Moscow. The domino theory is an integral part of the game (you can only spread your influence to neighbours of countries in which you already have influence). Most communist leaders (like Fidel Castro) automatically gives the USSR influence, although most may have been independent. The game is not a simulation, but what is? I don't believe there is any simulation model or game that is good enough to answer 'what if' questions on something as complex as the cold war. When someone makes a game, they have already decided on what they think was important to represent in the game, so any game will just present the designers viewpoint (or the viewpoint they want to convey). Twilight Struggle's viewpoint is that of certain american leaders in the cold war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Wauthoz
Belgium
Ath
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
thingol wrote:
To be fair, the designers have mentioned that Twilight Struggle took some "fantasies" of the Cold War as true, like the domino theory which proved false.

Is it the installation of a communist regime in the neighbourhood or the instability caused by the Vietnam War which brought these countries to communisme ?

The domino theory implied some more important effects, like the fall of Thailand or Indonesia.

Well, maybe "proved false" is too strong a word but i don't think it's taken seriously by political analysts or historians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawaron .
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Quote:

Or for that matter, Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, and Romania in 1989.

(I think I got that order correct)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shawaron wrote:

Or for that matter, Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, and Romania in 1989.

(I think I got that order correct)

I'd say that's about the only time the domino theory turned out to be valid - except that I've only ever heard it referring to US strategic thinking, not USSR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.