Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From several posts I've seen on this game here and elsewhere, I gather that there was a revised version of the rules from sometime in the 1980's. My set of rules are copyright 1979, so I am wondering if someone might have access to, or can point me toward these revised rules, or perhaps an errata though I haven't seen one for this game anywhere.

I ask because there is some interest in playing this again, and I seem to recall having to do a lot of house ruling for this one; a brief look over the rules reinforces that memory unfortunately. So any help at all would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree! I bought this game from nostalgia, but the reality is that there are glaring holes in the ruleset making it borderline unplayable without significant modification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was finally able to get the 1980 rules for this. It took a lot of searching, every copy I was finding either on the net or on eBay had the 1979 version of the rules, the one with the Elf Princess on the cover. Finally at long last I found a copy being sold here on BGG that had the 1980 rules which have a B&W reproduction of the game box picture on the cover.

And there was indeed quite a bit of revision done between the two versions. Where the 1979 version required a lot of head scratching, the 1980 version clears many things up. The only real thing missing in the 1980 rules is how the players should distribute the Victory Condition cards, but that can be easily house ruled especially since the logical thing would be to just deal them out randomly.

So it's worth it to find the 1980 rules, just remember, Elf Princess cover = Bad, B&W Horrible Fantasy Art cover = Good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good info thanks Chris! Any chance you could upload the good rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the WTF do you do with the victory cards was always a question. They're printed on a non-perforated sheet. Are you supposed to cut them out? How do you deal them out? Do you deal out multiple sheets and let players select?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lewis
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the 1980 rules but the BGG rules state that I can't upload images of them. Would this be resolved by completing a "Let's Play" sort of video and uploading that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb

Is there any difference between the actual boxes for the game, or is the only difference between versions on the actual rules themselves? There's a lot of shrinkwrapped copies of the game for sale and it would be nice to be able to tell by the box if it's got the revised rules or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the boxes are the same. At the time, if you bought the original edition, you could send the rules cover page to Yaquinto and they'd send you the revised rules for free.

Does anyone have a scan of the revised rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, unfortunately, the boxes do look the same and I believe they also have the same numbers and such on the back/sides, though I will have to double check this to be sure since I do have both versions boxes.

As for a copy of the rules, a kind gentleman made one available to me, so I'll see what I can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
don cogswell
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Just received a replacement copy - 1979 rules, naturally. If you could PDF the corrected copy, much magic comes your way!

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lewis
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shoot me a PM and I'll see that you get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Peter Bak
Denmark
Hoejbjerg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ichirou wrote:
So it's worth it to find the 1980 rules, just remember, Elf Princess cover = Bad, B&W Horrible Fantasy Art cover = Good!

I bought the game last week, and I preyed I would get a revised edition of the rules. When I opened the game I saw: the black and white "Horrible Fantasy Art cover". Yay!

This game has some serious flaws but I think it's a great game - with some tweaks. I may post my tweaks here when I get to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bike
msg tools
Anyone know where I can find the revised rules? I'm dying to try my copy but not with the old rule book. The game is gathering dust on my shelf right now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lamb
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
I too am searching for the 2nd ed of the rules. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boscolamb wrote:
I too am searching for the 2nd ed of the rules. Any help would be appreciated.

You sir have mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lamb
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you, Sir!

Don't even try playing the 1st ed rules. 2nd ed is nearly twice the number of pages, but is so much clearer. Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.