Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received the Star Wars card game in a trade and have everything for it (including 2 copies of the base set). So I'm able to make just about any deck. I had read the rules, seen plenty of videos, and was ready to play.

So, my one friend and I got together the other night to try it out. I made a Jedi deck: 2x Hero's Journey, 2x In You Must Go, 2x Forgotten Heroes, 2x Jedi Training, 2x Secret of Yavin 4. He wanted to play Scum and Villainy so I made a descent deck (I can't recall what all was in it, no Boba Fett since I've heard bad things about that). The results were that the LS rolled over the DS with the Death Star dial getting to 6.

The next day I played again with another friend but I flip-flopped the decks, thinking that I won because I knew the game slightly better. This time the Jedi won handedly again, but I did get the Death Star to 8.

I had heard that the Sith were very strong, so I made a Sith deck to try out: 2x Fall of the Jedi, 2x Counsel of the Sith, 2x Emperor's Web, 2x Ghosts of the Dark Side, 2x (Mara Jade). For the LS, I made a Rebel/Jedi Hoth speeder swarm deck (I don't have the list in front of me). Again, the LS seemed to roll so quickly. The first game we played, the LS took out 3 objectives by turn 3 with a Rogue 3(?)/Wedge combo. The next game was similar, but this time the Sith took the Death Star to 10. The Cold Weather Gear just wrecked it and laughed off the Force Chokes.

I'm not sure what to take away from this. I imagine if I had played Sleuths/Blockade Runners it would have been even worse. Was it the match-ups that were the problem? I keep reading posts that say the DS always wins, but I can't see it yet. Can someone offer me some solid DS deck lists that might sway the balance? Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with deck building isn't that great, I have the same problem, figuring out what to put in a deck, moreover, HOW to play it! You my have the same deck as a regional champion, but if you don't know how to use it, it doesn't help.

Also, I've been told that the Scum decks are harder to play, and I haven't been able to perform well with it consistently. I've had good results with Sith and Navy decks thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For sith right now, I like:

2x emperors web
2x fall of the Jedi
2x council of the sith
2x executor arrives
1x cruel interrogations
1x the Jerek pod

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchups could have been part of it. I would advise against Scum and Villainy until you and your friend have more play experience. In my opinion, they are trickier to play well. Rebel Speeders can win very fast and I'm not surprised the Sith couldn't hold them off. But supposedly they aren't very consistent. It may be that the LS just got lucky that game.

Which brings up an important point: how many games did you play? If you only played one game with each deck, you may not have a real idea of how that deck can work. Try playing several games with the same decks and see how it goes.

Another thing to realize is that a lot of the "Dark Side always wins" complaints came from last season when decks were mostly composed of core set cards. With more and more expansions, the LS is starting to catch up to the DS, especially with the Smugglers and Spies faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Higley
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Don't make entirely "pure" affiliation decks. Each faction has a strength, but also a weakness, so borrow from a second faction to compensate. I typically borrow 2-4 objective sets from the supporting faction, and use it as my affiliation card so that I do not get starved for resources of that type.

For instance, here is my "Sith" deck:
Affiliation: Imperial Navy
2x Fall of the Jedi
1x Counsel of the Sith
2x The Emperor's Web
2x Serve the Emperor
1x The Ghosts of the Dark Side
2x The Dark Trooper Project

It is very good at defending and controlling the dark side of the Force. The Sith cards are the big units and events: Emperor, Vader, Force Lightning, Force Storm. The Imperial Navy cards do nothing but support the Sith: Dark Troopers are always committed to the Force, and their objective makes any character committed to the Force Elite. Just commit to the Force, sit back, defend, and wait out the clock.

Here is my "Jedi" deck:
Affiliation: Smugglers and Spies
2x A Hero's Journey
2x In You Must Go
1x A Message from Beyond
2x Wookie Life Debt
1x To Arms!
2x Heroes and Legends

The Jedi are infamously unit-light and that can make it difficult to do what the faction wants: buff one huge character with tons of enhancements. So, to prevent Yoda or Luke from meeting an early end, the Wookies, who gain Protect Character from their objective, can be used to tank any damage for your main heroes. Likewise, Kyle Katarn can use his objective to refresh himself of all tokens (and enhancements). He will be your main defender, killing most units with his three unit damage. The neutral objective To Arms! makes deploying lightsabers free, and if you deploy a non-weapon enhancement first with In You Must Go, that's three resources you did not have to pay.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
Matchups could have been part of it. I would advise against Scum and Villainy until you and your friend have more play experience. In my opinion, they are trickier to play well. Rebel Speeders can win very fast and I'm not surprised the Sith couldn't hold them off. But supposedly they aren't very consistent. It may be that the LS just got lucky that game.

Which brings up an important point: how many games did you play? If you only played one game with each deck, you may not have a real idea of how that deck can work. Try playing several games with the same decks and see how it goes.

Another thing to realize is that a lot of the "Dark Side always wins" complaints came from last season when decks were mostly composed of core set cards. With more and more expansions, the LS is starting to catch up to the DS, especially with the Smugglers and Spies faction.

I've actually run that exact Jedi deck. It's ludicrously consistent. There's a lot of card overlap that isn't completely apparent until you actually look at it card by card.

I don't know what his Scum and Villainy deck looked like, but that is a beast to overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
I don't know what his Scum and Villainy deck looked like, but that is a beast to overcome.

I'd love to know what a solid Scum and Villainy deck looks like. If I recall, the deck at the time was: 2x Jabba's Orders, 2x Jabba's Reach, 2x Hive of Scum and Villainy, 2x Tatootine Crash, 2x Lucrative Contract

But since I've tried changing it to: 2x Jabba's Orders, 2x Jabba's Reach, 2x Findman's Intuition, 2x Hunt for Han Solo, 2x Carbonite Transport.

The reason I switched it up was because I like the Zuckuss/Hunt for Han Solo combo. Plus I like how the Ugnaughts and Java Trade (something) works with the vehicles in the deck, like Slave 1. I haven't tried it out enough, but I definitely feel like I want to come up with a playable S&V deck for players who are interested in that kind of theme. I know I could/should mix S&V in with other factions, but that means I'd have to resleeve the Sith and Imperial cards I'm using in other decks between games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.