Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maurizio Bignoli
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought this game, with hope that it might be more 'deep' and 'immediate' of Arabian Nights. But I would ask to anyone who has played, if can clarify a key point for greater interpretation of history (or I'm not have realized). From what I understand, during the game often I have to draw many Encounter cards. And from these, I'm called to take a decision on behavior. What I don't understand is how I can take a decision if on the card is not indicated clearly what it is. For example, in the Arabian Nights, I know immediately if I found a Character, a Place or a City, so I can try to act accordingly (i.e., using my best ability). But, in this game, if use "Book of Encounters" and I find a card with the title "Take a chance" (I think this is title, now I haven't the game with me) which it means? And many cards are so ... ambiguous ...
On what I have to take my decision? I think this is a very important aspect because the players can drop in history.
Or, I don't understand something ? cry

Thank you to anyone ....

Maurizio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm afraid your post is a little hard for me to follow (I don't think the word 'history' means what you think it means), but I think the question you're asking is: when you get vaguely titled encounter cards, and the strange reaction grid responses, how are you able to make a good decision when the options seem completely different to the skills or abilities your characters can get in the game. (Apologies if I've missed the point).

I think the answer may not be to your taste: it's all about guesswork, or failing that, what seems most fun. There are some options that seem definitely lead to some advanced skills ('persuade' is more likely to lead to social skills, 'on your guard' probably wont) - but I tend to play it more to generate a good/entertaining story rather than to strictly maximize my chances at success.

Honestly, I do not think this game is deeper or more tactical than Tales of the Arabian Nights - which features much the same in my experience - but it's far funnier and much more to my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Repeated play of the game will help you get better at "guessing" what setup phase and response combinations will utlize certain Skills nad Advanced Skills. However, it's still a guessing game. As Ted said, your reaction choices are more about what you feel like having your character do at that time, rather than always trying to roll the maximum number of dice, or always auto-passing with your Advanced Skills.

For example, I had an encounter last night where I chose the "Negotiate" response, thinking it would leverage my Persuasion skill. Instead, the encounter said I didn't have time to negotiate, and it turned into a Hand-to-Hand or Athletics test (I don't remember which). It was unexpected and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Bignoli
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhmm .... yes, 'history' isn't the right word. Perhaps, 'tale' or "story' are better. Sorry, my english is very bad (and this game could help me ... shake eheh).

But, Ted and Matt know what I mean....

Now, I've the box here and I can speel out

For example, I go to Los Angeles and I draw the card "Intimidation - G".
My first question is: but who I have to intimidate ? I think that the answer is important for choose my reaction..
And then, I read the Group Reaction Sheet, into the Group G, and I read:
1. Taunt (who ?)
2. Overreact (react to what ?)
3. Stay Calm (why ?)
4. ... etc ....

So, how can take a decision ? Why not throw a die ?
It seems to me very disheartening ....

Tad say: "your reaction choices are more about what you feel...", but my reaction would be on a think that I know, otherwise is like to draw a die ... or not ?

Matt in your example, you chosen to negotiate, but it's different to try a negotiate if I know that in front of me there is a little disarmed old man or negotiate with a big and expert marine. In the last case, perhaps I prefer choise to run. It could make a difference between live or die

Maurizio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I felt similarly in my first play. But I have changed my attitude.

The reactions give you a chance to role play your character as well as try to play to the agent's strengths. The situations the agents get into are dangerous and unpredictable and your choice indicates a general approach rather than detailed decision making.

If you choose "stay calm" it isn't because you know the situation calls for it. Instead you "stay calm" because your agent is the cool as a cucumber, ice-water in his veins type, and nothing shakes him.

If you choose "overreact" it's because your agent is a high-energy, nervous personality type. He's good at thinking on his feet, and it's better disrupt the enemy's plans and shake things up.

Sometimes things don't work out the way you want them too, but a decent percentage of the time, they do. And it's always fun to imagine how your agent would approach an uncertain situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Bignoli
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Nathan, I was thinking the same. In my first game I'll try to think as "situations", not "what I've in front of me" ... But I don't know how will react my frinds ....

Thank you so much

Maury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...also, pay attention not only to you character's individual strengths, but look at what special skill tokens you have for that character. Then choose a reaction that takes advantage of either your character's individual strengths or skill tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Bignoli
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thank you Kelly, I will ...

Maury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.