Nikola Luburić
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking mostly for variety and to increase replayability. I don't plan to go all out on deckbuilding as I usually play this game with my SO about five games per month, though mostly because we are extremely busy.

However, when we do get the time I doubt that number will go above twice a week.

That being said, I'd still like to have some variety, so I'm guessing the big expansion (Creation and Control) would be best, but I'd still like to hear what you guys think. Any data packs that might prove more interesting perhaps?

Since I'm from Serbia and I like supporting my local game store I have the following expansion available:

- Creation and control
- Second thoughts
- Trace amount
- Humanity's shadow
- Future proof
- Cyber exodus
- A study in stasis

Could you suggest one or two of them from the list, keeping in mind that I'm looking for as many different strategies as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Creation and Control will give you less variety than you think, since it focuses exclusively on two factions (Runner=Shapers, Corp=Hass-Bioroid). There is always the possibility of using them as influence in other factions, and there are a few neutral cards, but those options are much more narrow outside of Shaper and HB.

If you only want to buy a handful of exapansions, I would recommend first spending some time with just the core set and try to narrow in on just a few factions that you are both interested in. Then take a look across the expansions and find the ones that focus more on those preferred factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can preview all the cards here:

http://onosendaicorp.com/cards

Creation and Control is very nice, but only for Shapers and Haas-Bioroid. If you like to play those, it offers a lot of fun cards for sure.

Trace Amount is not that great, I would skip it.

Cyber Exodus has a number of very useful cards. Definitely a good choice.

A Study in Static is not that great, I would skip it.

Humanity's Shadow has some very important cards, which can be used in different decks. Another good choice.

Future Proof also has some nice cards. A solid expansion.

Second Thoughts is ok, but most cards are pretty specialized. Not as good as the others.

So, from those, I would probably go with Cyber Exodus and Humanity's Shadow.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Costa
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When i stated a few months back i went with What Lies Ahead and Creation and Control from the list i take Cyber Exodus.A few people said WLH is a nice starter for all the factions.I have since picked them all up and between Netrunner and X-wing im pretty broke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If overall variety is the goal, then data packs offer that better. I would see about them getting some others in as I know What Lies Ahead is known as a rather good first data pack to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out this thread:

A Beginner's Guide To Expanding Netrunner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do realize that you must deck build in order to use these. You can't just keep mashing it all together.

If you haven't done any deck building to this point, I'd start constructing the decks using just the core set. You could easily get 100 games out of just that. If I weren't playing competitively and were just playing with a buddy or SO, I'd be living off the core. There is tons in there. In fact, I'd probably get a second core before any data pack (which is what I'd recommend even if you were looking to start playing competitively).

Honestly, if you don't want to do any deck building at all, I think you're out of luck. Without deck building, all you can really do is mash together the neutrals and core cards from the core set. You can't mash in anything from the expansions.

Deckbuilding isn't hard. If you don't want to create your own original decks, just go online and try out any number of example decks on NetrunnerDB or CardgameDB. Unfortunately, you can't sort/search deck lists to only include certain data packs. However, if you're just looking to deck build with the core, sort by date posted and go to the oldest ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I did was buy 1 core set and randomly bought 3 data packs by rolling the dice. Best fun I had ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a very casual gamer, I would strongly advise you to not get any datapacks. I would stick with the core set and really play the hell out of them until you get a feel for them. I currently own the core set, the first 6 datapacks and creation and control. I still only play with the core set.

The core set has 7 distinct factions for you to play and understand. Jinteki likes to create traps with cards like Snare where if a runner accesses it, he will take damage and lose cards. NBN on the other hand has cards that tag the opponent and do lots of nasty things from that such as draining all the money from the runner.

There is a lot of depth from just the core set, so master that before you chew on additional content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.