Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is AEG's first big tournament for a non-collectable card game, I'm curious what they might be doing for promos, and specifically the Gencon tournament.

You see, I'm still unsure whether to play in Doomtown: Reloaded or the 40K: Conquest tournaments (really both of them seem to be must-plays but I can't be in two places at once) so maybe the swag could convince me either way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Since this is AEG's first big tournament for a non-collectable card game, I'm curious what they might be doing for promos, and specifically the Gencon tournament.

You see, I'm still unsure whether to play in Doomtown: Reloaded or the 40K: Conquest tournaments (really both of them seem to be must-plays but I can't be in two places at once) so maybe the swag could convince me either way

While I have no interst in the 40K tournament, I *am* interested in what promos will be available, and what prizes will be for the tournament. Its a $12 entry fee, on top of the cost of your 1 (or more) box set. But, unlike TCG's, you can't award packs.

I suppose some of the prizes could be delux box sets, but if I buy one of those (I will if they aren't sold out before I get to the front of the line) then I don't really need another one...

I'll play in the tournament regardless, but what the prizes could be is very intriguing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting that these might include alternate-art versions of cards, foil versions of cards, full-bleed versions of cards, or accessories like tokens which could also feature unique artwork.

But, this is all conjecture. I know for L5R they give out unique promo cards which are legal for play and but that's a CCG so they likely wouldn't want to introduce cards that non-attendees can't get since that's kind of the WHOLE POINT of a non-collectable game.

As for 40K: Conquest... I'm no fan of the theme, the associated miniatures game, or of GW, but my position is that until I play a new card game I cannot know how good it is.

Also, I figure I've got as good a chance as anyone else at winning Conquest but I expect the Doomtown event will be dominated by players with years of experience in the original version.

The winner might get a deluxe boxed set, but I would dearly love some news on those. I would really hate to buy "enough" copies of the game at Gencon and then when I get my deluxe version end up with fairly useless duplicate product.

Please tell us something soon about how many copies of cards are in the box and what the deal is with the deluxe sets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to play 40K as all Doomtown events sold out within a half hour of event listing going live. My wishlist processed in 35 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sell yourself (and Doomtown) short. The economy of deeds/production vs. Dudes/upkeep is quite different from classic. Shoehorning 'classic moves' into Reloaded is a difficult road to success. Early on, I actually think that n00bs who have only read Reloaded rules and thought ONLY in Reloaded terms may have uncluttered insights for their initial reloaded decks.

Obviously this is a relaunch and inaugural tourney - it's more about celebrating the new version of a great game then 'kewl - let's kick butt and chew gum'. By all means, come join the Doomtown party if you can. Hope to see you in the Town Square, pardner, and not cowering at Home
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:
You want to play 40K as all Doomtown events sold out within a half hour of event listing going live. My wishlist processed in 35 minutes.

Both events sold out fairly rapidly at 64 seats each. However, I would not be surprised at all to see both companies add more seats to make room. As these are new games they have to guess at how popular they will be and it's safer to underestimate and grow. Same thing happened w/ Netrunner which was expanded twice after the initial listing.

davido wrote:
Don't sell yourself (and Doomtown) short. The economy of deeds/production vs. Dudes/upkeep is quite different from classic. Shoehorning 'classic moves' into Reloaded is a difficult road to success. Early on, I actually think that n00bs who have only read Reloaded rules and thought ONLY in Reloaded terms may have uncluttered insights for their initial reloaded decks.

Obviously this is a relaunch and inaugural tourney - it's more about celebrating the new version of a great game then 'kewl - let's kick butt and chew gum'. By all means, come join the Doomtown party if you can. Hope to see you in the Town Square, pardner, and not cowering at Home

Thanks for the support, that does make me feel better - the event is about fun of course, but it's less fun if you just get crushed round after round. I'm hoping for some epic shoot outs and a fair shot at winning a couple of games. Guess I need to get busy printing proxy cards soon...

That makes complete sense about experience with old cost structures leading veterans astray as what used to be sound judgements don't necessarily hold true in the new game anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

Both events sold out fairly rapidly at 64 seats each. However, I would not be surprised at all to see both companies add more seats to make room.

They did address this on their Facebook page:

Quote:
We are working to figure out ways to increase attendance, but we are also limited by physical space. We will keep you posted.

It doesn't sound like a sure thing. Plus, you we don't know how many or when they'll be added. If you're afraid 40K will sell out, you might want to get a ticket now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually already have tickets to both, once I choose which one to do I'll return the other. Wish it wasn't necessary but there was simply not enough information to make an informed judgement. Also I had to put both in my wish list out of fear that one of the other would sell out too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bithlord Fake
msg tools
Donald wrote:

It doesn't sound like a sure thing. Plus, you we don't know how many or when they'll be added. If you're afraid 40K will sell out, you might want to get a ticket now.

If space ends up being the limiting factor (as it might), then the most likley solution is additional tournaments running at different times/on different days. The saturday one would still likely be the "main event" with the biggest prizes, but it certainly wouldn't be the only one.

I'm still holding out hope for pod style tournaments, where people show up with generic tickets, and as soon as there arre 8 in line, you run a three round single elim tournament. Magic does those and they have quite a bit of success at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

I signed up for the Doomtown tournament, but not the Conquest event. I don't care about swag so much (though it's nice) - I just look forward to being able to play lots of Doomtown with other interested/excited gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I'm expecting that these might include alternate-art versions of cards, foil versions of cards, full-bleed versions of cards, or accessories like tokens which could also feature unique artwork.

But, this is all conjecture. I know for L5R they give out unique promo cards which are legal for play and but that's a CCG so they likely wouldn't want to introduce cards that non-attendees can't get since that's kind of the WHOLE POINT of a non-collectable game.

Exactly. My expectation at this event is that it will include these types of alternate art or perhaps foiled promos for the participants and winners.

(Of course, if AEG wanted to blow some minds, they'd give all entrants to the tournament a copy of the first Saddlebag. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I would really hate to buy "enough" copies of the game at Gencon and then when I get my deluxe version end up with fairly useless duplicate product.

This is what math trades are for.

I sincerely doubt that the prizes will be more core sets because the people playing in the event will likely already have playsets of each card. We're the hardcore folks, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
(Of course, if AEG wanted to blow some minds, they'd give all entrants to the tournament a copy of the first Saddlebag. )

That would be amazing! I hadn't even thought of something that crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
We did actually, but the production timetable wouldnt allow for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.