Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Prewitt
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first 5-player game yesterday and had a great time. I loved seeing the different play styles interact on the board. One of the questions that came up was how to deal with cards that give AoE or multiple attacks when there is a lair (or I suppose any creature whose size is larger than one square). We were trying to decide whether you attack each square once, thus potentially dealing multiple damage to the lair, or whether there is only one attack on the lair. Ultimately, we decided to play it as only giving one attack on the lair, as we thought it would make it too easy, but I was curious if others knew the answer.

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwprewitt wrote:
Played our first 5-player game yesterday and had a great time. I loved seeing the different play styles interact on the board. One of the questions that came up was how to deal with cards that give AoE or multiple attacks when there is a lair (or I suppose any creature whose size is larger than one square). We were trying to decide whether you attack each square once, thus potentially dealing multiple damage to the lair, or whether there is only one attack on the lair. Ultimately, we decided to play it as only giving one attack on the lair, as we thought it would make it too easy, but I was curious if others knew the answer.
I don't believe it's actually specified anywhere -- I could be wrong -- but I believe that you were correct in your decision that the lair only gets attacked once. The AoE only delineates the area where targets in that area can be attacked, not the number of attacks that are made.

EDIT: GeckoTH cites the FAQ entry below. Thanks Gecko.

This argument is given weight, IMO, by the idea that the result of one die roll gets assigned to each target type (not each target) during an area attack. Because the lair is one target type, it is receiving one attack, and therefore will only take one iteration of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca
United States
California
flag msg tools
I remember seeing that, when attacking a captain, if you hit more than one of the squares the captain is on you still only hit the captain once. We've been applying the same logic to lairs, and would agree that the lair is hit only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the FAQ:

Are targets that exist in multiple squares (lairs, captains, etc) hit for each affected
square they inhabit that is included in an AOE or just once regardless of how
many affected squares they’re standing on?

AoE attacks do not damage a single large-base target more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Prewitt
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both! We looked at the FAQ yesterday when the question came up, but obviously flew right past it. Glad we played it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And Orion's Tears (Archer) and Chaotic Overload (Apprentice) have still not been clarified by MCG, but they seem to be pseudo-AOE attacks. The reference material and card wordings state that you can split or combine attacks as you choose, so they would have to be exempt from that FAQ ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.