Subject: Custom Huge Ship: Star Destroyer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Mel_Miniatures
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive designed an Star Destroyer. You will need an A1 printer to get the big token and enjoy this huge ship. The scale is done acording to this formula:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15093212#15093212

The images are renders from Ansel Hsiao's incredible Star Destroyer's model that you can find in scifi3d.com

http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&...

Since many of the Corvette and Transport rules didnt work, I had to do some of my own.

You can find them here:

www.albertomelchorruizanton.net/mel_miniatures/ISD_rules.pdf

And they say:

MOVEMENT

The Star Destroyer doesn’t make any movement. Energy tokens are collected by the properties of some of the sections.

OVERLAPPING

There are two different style of parts on a Star Destroyers. The ones that work like any other Huge Ship, and the ones that have new rules.

For the sections “Engines”, “Bridge” and “Docking Bay” the rules are the same as the rest of the Huge Ships.

When a small or large ship executes a maneuver and the final position of its base overlaps a huge ship, the overlapping ship must follow the rules under “Plastic Bases Overlapping” described on page 17 of the core set rulebook.
Additionally, the player controlling the overlapping ship rolls one attack die and suffers any damage and critical damage rolled.

When a huge ship executes a maneuver and the final position of one of its sections overlaps the Star Destroyer, use the standard rules for overlapping ships as described on page 17 of the core set rulebook. However, the huge ship that moved does not skip its “Perform Action” step. Instead,both huge ships are dealt one faceup Damage card; each player draws this Damage card from the deck that corresponds to his ship’s affected section.

For the sections “Fore Section”, “Port Section” and “Starboard Section” the rules change.

There is no overlapping. Meaning, any ship can fly on top of them without it being damaged nor affected.

The sections themselves can’t shoot at a ship that is touching
it or over it. It would need another section to shoot at that
ship. If an enemy ship is touching a section or over it, it can’t
shoot it either.

For any other action, upgrade or explosion, being over a
section equals to being at Range 1.

OBSTRUCTION

The sections “Engines”, “Bridge” and “Docking Bay” follow the obstruction rules as the Huge Ships.

When a ship performs an attack, if its closest-point-to-closest-point line passes through any part of a section of a huge ship and that huge ship is not the target, the attack is obstructed; the defender rolls one additional defense die.

This includes itself. Its own sections obstruct the attacks from the rest of the sections.

If an enemy ships attack a section of the Star Destroyer and the line passes through the “Engines”, “Bridge” or “Docking Bay” the attack is possible but obstructed.

ENERGY

The sections “Engines” and “Bridge” are responsible for collecting energy tokens. Unlike the rest of the Huge Ships that the energy is gained by the different movements.

If this two sections are destroyed, the ship stops producing energy.

ATTACK

Unlike the rest of the Huge Ships, during the Combat Phase, each section of the ship might do one attack with the primary weapon and then one attack with each of its secondary weapons. Each attack must be fully resolved before it begins another.

The Fire Range of the Primary Weapon image above represents the amount of attacks a ship could suffer and the places where the Star Destroyer doesn’t reach.

As stated before, this attacks will be influenced but the obstruction of the other sections.

DAMAGES

“Engines”, “Bridge” and “Docking Bay” are affected by the CR90 aft damage card.

“Fore Section”, “Port Section” and “Starboard Section” are affected by the CR90 fore damage card.

Here are the cards:

www.albertomelchorruizanton.net/mel_miniatures/ISD_cards.pdf

Here is the token:

www.albertomelchorruizanton.net/mel_miniatures/ISD_base.pdf

If you find anything wrong, please let me know. Any feedback will be welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad koch
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Have you tested this? What feedback do you have? I might make this out of cardboard and test it on Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent yet, but Ill do soon enough. But I tried to make it be "three corvettes together" so it would be easy to measure.

The problem here is that it can have so many upgrades, and you can form so many different squadrons to reach the 270 (or more) points to fight it, that even if I tested it, it would be hard to assure that it works for every situation. What if the rebels bring a corvette to the fight? What if the Empire also brings fighters? What if you put some upgrade, crew or something that makes the ship suddenly an unbeatable beast?

I dont have experience at all with huge ships to assure this will work well. So for now is a (very exciting) beta test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Winter
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linked this thread for the German X-Wing Community and some will test it and give feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that you will need some of the Tantive IV cards (like the damage cards, turbolasers, teams or cargo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will use proxies. Thanks to THE INTERNET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive changed the amount of energy it gains. Instead of 2 (or 4 without actions), it does 5 (or 7 without actions) every single turn. With a max of 15 energy tokens in total (thats the same as before).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurion Kemish
Germany
Neuss
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Will definitively have to try this!

Out of curiosity. Any chance you could share the image you used to create the base? I've been looking for a decent quality image of a star destroyer but all the links I found were dead. You'd have my sincere gratitude

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! I forgot to give credit. The images are renders from Ansel Hsiao's impossibly detailed Star Destroyer's model that you can find in scifi3d.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sans_fi wrote:
Ive changed the amount of energy it gains. Instead of 2 (or 4 without actions), it does 5 (or 7 without actions) every single turn. With a max of 15 energy tokens in total (thats the same as before).

Which files have changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards, the Engine and Bridge cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurion Kemish
Germany
Neuss
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sans_fi wrote:
Sorry! I forgot to give credit. The images are renders from Ansel Hsiao's impossibly detailed Star Destroyer's model that you can find in scifi3d.com

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Martin
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
I have uploaded to CafePress and I will post once it arrives to report on how this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Magi
msg tools
Very good job ! Sorry, what card maker did you used ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base was the same as always:
http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/122-hi-res-photoshop-temp...

But I had to do my own templates for the Huge Ship style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im about to test this thing. I thought you might like this picture:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMPIRE

Front (60)
Fire Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Single Turbolasers (8)
Slicer Tools (7)
Gunnery Team (4)
Sensor Team (4)

Port (40)
Single Turbolasers (8)
Quad Laser Cannons (6)
Gunnery Team (4)
Sensor Team (4)

Starboard (40)
Single Turbolasers (8)
Quad Laser Cannons (6)
Gunnery Team (4)
Sensor Team (4)

Docking Bay (45)
WED-15-Repair-Droid (2)
Comms Booster (4)
Shield Projector (4)
Ionization Reactor (4)

Bridge (40)
Rebel Captive (3)
Targeting Coordinator (4)
Sensor Jammer (4)

Engines (45)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Frequency Jammer (4)

376 points

REBELS

B-WINGs
Ten Numb (31)
Fragmentation Torpedoes (2)

Ibitisam (28)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)

Y-WINGs
"Dutch" Vander (23)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Horton Slam (25)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

YT-1300
Han Solo (46)
Cluster Missiles (4)

X-WINGs
Jek Porkins (26)

Wes Janson (29)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Proton Torpedoes (4)

Wedge Antillies (29)

A-WINGs
Green Squadron Pilot (19)

Arvel Crynyd(23)

Tycho Celchu (26)

377 points

It wasn't very thought through, we just wanted to do enough Rebel fighters with enough firepower to try to destroy this thing, and many of the Upgrades of the Star Destroyer only work if it had backup fighters and it doesnt have them.

First of all, this was REALLY fun. It gives the game a huge scale, and its not really messy because one player moves all his fighters at a point and then the other does everything else with the Star Destroyer (except the actions that go before the attack). But there are several issues on the design of the Star Destroyer.

The game ended with the Star Destroyer getting destroyed, and with just 3 (almost 4) rebel ships down (Porkins, Tycho Celchu and Han Solo). So it clearly needs fixing. First of all, this ship would work MUCH better if it had fighers around it. Maybe reaching a 450 points per team. Because you will use all the abilities of the Star Destroyer and as you will see the Star Destroyer weakens the rebels a lot, but at close distance doesnt really hurt them, thats the point where a few fighters would bring them hell.

So maybe the ideal scenario would be 450 points, with a Tantive IV with the rebels and a few fighters on the Empire's side.

Issues the Ship Had:

There is an unecesary amount of TEAM slots. You wont use the Engeneering Team because it doesnt move and the other teams work for every section just by having them in one section... so it mostly just works as a repeated card just so when the section is broken you still have those guys.

The SYSTEM slot from the Bridge should go. Its a shame... but when you put in there a Sensor Jammer its TOO much. I can't solve it by saying the SYSTEM slot only applies to that section because many other System cards wont do anything at all. There is a reason the other Huge ships dont have Systems.

JAMMING ACTION. I have some problems with the range for this action. Does it affect you if you are over a section that you can flyby? Should Jamming have range 0 too? And... should a section that has been wrecked count for the Jamming action? I need to make decisions of all this stuff and write them down on the rule sheet.

Also, we thought of adding a Tractor Beam action for the DOCKING BAY section. Maybe it could be an action that spends energy and forces a ship to aproach a movement of 1 to the DOCKING BAY section (as long as it doesn't hit or interfere with anything)

Great things the Ship Had:
Is impresive how well it works against fighters. When you start from a distance the ship will make a lot of damage which will be scary. Then, when you reach the ship it will start Jamming you, giving you stress tokens and your movements will start to be reduced, but at this point the range of attack will be shorter so you have better chances of surviving. Its great that the fighters get "scared"="stressed" when they are near the Star Destroyer and that at close range its hard to fire torpedoes.

The ship has 4 JAMMING actions. That means the Star Destroyer will give you stress tokens constantly. Thats a good thing, because in short range is his only defense, and that mixed with Fighters it could be a great defense. This forces the attacking fighters to fire their torpedoes as soon as possible because later they will have a hard time doing any kind of actions.

Even if right now the ship is not fully balanced, you will use almost every action, and having to think about the amount of energy you need for each action brings a new style of strategy to the game.

Its amazing to see 12 well armed rebel ships on the battlefield. It really feels like X-Wing Alliance.

The Ionization Reactor is AMAZING here. It would even be cooler if you had Imperial Fighters in there too. Suddenly half the ships in the game will be suddenly ionized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurion Kemish
Germany
Neuss
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fr#kking awesome! Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive updated the rules and the cards (and the pdfs). Just a few tweaks in the rules that are related on what I learned in my test. The cards now include the Crippled backs, so when the section is broken you can still use it.

I had to do my own custom Template for Imperial Crippled card, which wasnt easy because its easier to combine the Rebellion red with fire than the Empire blue.

I also had to make the Star Destroyer images half destroyed for each of those cards, which turned out pretty cool:

I didnt change the big base of the Star Destroyer, so anyone that has already printed it wont need to change it.

I forgot to add in my review of the game, that the Star Destroyer really needs fighters around it, because if it doesn't have them the Rebels will just concentrate their fire on the sections that can attack you. So I would recomend to play this game with at least 2 or 3 imperial fighters. 450 points would be perfect I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Wilson
msg tools
For the truly insane, Bandai have announced a 1/1700 scale star destroyer, would be around 96cm long...

Would be great with these rules however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Great Stuff! Really love this idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Witthaus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Printed mine yesterday. Now I'll have to look for some spray mount and the DE release of the CR90 for the damage cards cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great, I can't wait to try it.

Question, on your rule you show the firing arcs and their overlap. If you can't cross a dark blue line and you have to measure from the center of the weapon wouldn't you have a huge blind spot that extends (forever) from the rear.

Your picture does show a blind spot but limited. I'm not following sorry.

Awesome job. I NEED to try this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Miniatures
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rest of the sections dont interrupt the fire arc. For example the fore section can fire to the rear. The only thing that happens is that the section between the objetive and the current section work as Obstacles. Basically, firing at a fighter with another section in between means he throws an extra die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
sans_fi wrote:

ATTACK

Unlike the rest of the Huge Ships, during the Combat Phase, each section of the ship might do one attack with the primary weapon and then one attack with each of its secondary weapons. Each attack must be fully resolved before it begins another.

The Fire Range of the Primary Weapon image above represents the amount of attacks a ship could suffer and the places where the Star Destroyer doesn’t reach.

As stated before, this attacks will be influenced but the obstruction of the other sections.

Just so I understand, by this you mean range? Because since the primaries fire 360 they can cover the center of the ship too. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |