Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a very looong waiting - copy (reprint) finally showed up on the market. Just after Essen 2013, just after the news - I knew this is the one - so as Morpheus in Matrix - started to look for it. None of my gaming group got it initially (before end of 2013) - however number of copies have been limited anyhow. Then - there was last chance in Q1 2014 - when I spotted some on Amazon - but again - didn't get it (decided to wait for 2nd edition).
Once I hunt it down - it's time ... to wait for it's turn That's what happens to the games - that comes (reprint) long after Essen.

I read the rules upfront - however rules gives you just an overview and runthroughs just made me convinced - it is something I definitely want to try. So i did.

Hype was there - I am here as well.

Slowly set it up - to enjoy every piece of it. There has been a lot of discussions regarding 2nd edition components. I do not mind the 2nd edition components at all - only thing is that I would have preferred is the box size of 1st edition - but hey - square box with such an inlay - i approve
Rulebook was quite clear - even though it's not perfect as some information are different in 1st, 2nd edition (FAQ, help cards ect). Nothing that cannot be clarified during the first game - but it does not change the fact it could have been better. Compared to some other rulebook that were really nightmare - I consider L&C a proper one.

Setup is quick and easy. So I play. First rounds - simply getting through the mechanics - how it works - shall I go with indian's actions - but wait - there are almost no indians to use initially - you have to get them - but wait - you already used your possible actions to get them You get my point. I was usually one step behind my plan or should I say I was planning not too much ahead

After I set a first camp - i felt a relief First step done. And since then I started to feel the pressure... like someone is behind you and you do not want to look back Since then till the end - I felt the pressure that we are in a race. We do optimize, we do plan, we do look at each other, we do use diversified options... it's not only a race, it's a real tactical race but hell, competition is there. I was behind after first two camps - however just before the first mountain area - I went ahead and did not leave this chair till the end. My opponent was very close behind me. He was lost just few turns before the end (he stayed behind in the first mountain section - as for some reason, was very slow in the mountains (had only very quick cards for the river) BUT I was not able to finish in style. I had a bit overgrown deck - which I did not thin early enough. That gave him a chance to catch up - and he did. I was far after finish line - but I still did not camp I had to cycle through my deck. And then and only then I felt I am loosing even though I am winning. I was quickly decreasing my deck (ok, slowly) and he will camp next turn. What cards he has? Will he crash me in the last move... and you know what - he missed 1 step... and that was it. Next turn I camped and we were done.

To be honest - I did not feel this kind of pressure in a boardgame since a long time. Not even in ameritrash adventure or dungeon crawler (where normally something chases you), not even in other eurostyle games - where normally it's a matter of optimization and calculation that gives you the victory.

I did not feel such a happiness after camping this single token Lewis and Clarke is really one of a kind. Not sure if I need more of these in my collection So if you know - let me know. That would mean I need more of these
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
dorywalski wrote:

To be honest - I did not feel this kind of pressure in a boardgame since a long time. Not even in ameritrash adventure or dungeon crawler (where normally something chases you), not even in other eurostyle games - where normally it's a matter of optimization and calculation that gives you the victory.

I did not feel such a happiness after camping this single token Lewis and Clarke is really one of a kind. Not sure if I need more of these in my collection So if you know - let me know. That would mean I need more of these

Have you tried Expedition: Northwest Passage? It's another game that has race elements, but you feel pressured by both the game and the other players resulting in a terrifically tense game throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have have it (as you can see in my collection list). During the game however - I did not experience same "rush" like here. Maybe I need to play with the same people that I did with L&C.

Expedition is a very neat game - but it is much simpler in my perception. I still like it, but it's not the same experience for me - at least until now. I had an impression that Expedition is much easier to control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mb
hanibalicious wrote:
dorywalski wrote:

Have you tried Expedition: Northwest Passage? It's another game that has race elements, but you feel pressured by both the game and the other players resulting in a terrifically tense game throughout.

I love Lewis and Clark and really dislike Northwest Passage. Why call it the Northwest Passage when you tend to lose if you get to the Passage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it could be due to fact, that it's not the same like chasing the rabbit and catching the rabbit

I cannot agree with the statement - that you tend to loose when you get to the passage. I played it few times it's not a general rule that if you focus on getting to the passage you loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
dorywalski wrote:

Yes, expedition northwest passage is great. Looking forward to lewis & Clark (it has been ordered).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another shoot on L&C - and here the winner used the strategy that I do not like (grabbing one additional card).
I did not adapt quickly and my deck was too large so to burn it it took too long. I need to find an efficient strategy for it - as then - with such an opponent - it's a pure race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.