Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Bignami
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During a land assault the USA player plays card #48 Siege Train to get 1 more die; the CSA player plays card #59 Mud-Bound to cancel the assault: what is the fate of Siege Train card?
Technically, due to Mud-Bound card, no combat begins: so the card automatically returns to the USA player's hand or the USA player still has to roll to determine its fate (1-3: card is reshuffled into deck; 4-6 card is returned to player's hand)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I am just reading the rules and playbook and have no actual game experience with this game. After looking at the playbook section on the cards, I believe the Union player should get to keep card #48. Card #48 says it is to be played
Quote:
at the start of any Union Assault conducted across a Red Line.
Card #59 says it is to be played
Quote:
at the instant the Union Player announces an Assault across a Red Line.
I would say that the intent is for Card #59's action to be played before Card #48's even if the players don't coordinate their card play perfectly. (Coordination not being a pre-requisite for wargaming) In a perfect world, the Union player would announce his Assault and then pause for any "instant" responses before going first to add cards to his Assault as the moving player is to do. I'd interpret Card #59 as happening before any Union Cards appear, and for that reason, those cards are not actually played and should stay in the Union Player's hand or return automatically if they are inadvertently played.

That said, I'd like to see what the experts say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Bignami
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdnuke wrote:
Disclaimer: I am just reading the rules and playbook and have no actual game experience with this game. After looking at the playbook section on the cards, I believe the Union player should get to keep card #48. Card #48 says it is to be played
Quote:
at the start of any Union Assault conducted across a Red Line.
Card #59 says it is to be played
Quote:
at the instant the Union Player announces an Assault across a Red Line.
I would say that the intent is for Card #59's action to be played before Card #48's even if the players don't coordinate their card play perfectly. (Coordination not being a pre-requisite for wargaming) In a perfect world, the Union player would announce his Assault and then pause for any "instant" responses before going first to add cards to his Assault as the moving player is to do. I'd interpret Card #59 as happening before any Union Cards appear, and for that reason, those cards are not actually played and should stay in the Union Player's hand or return automatically if they are inadvertently played.

That said, I'd like to see what the experts say!

Thanks that sounds correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are welcome, Paolo! I'm still hoping that we get confirmation from someone who knows the game and has played it a few times....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Greetings,

Sorry for the delayed response (was on the road traveling).

George has it right, Card 59, "Mudbound", cancels the Assault before it is resolved. Therefore, any declared Federal cards are simply returned to the Union player's hand.

The first two sentences of Card 59, "Mudbound", are "Play at the instant the Union Player announces an Assault across a Red Line. That attack does not take place and the Union Cannon Pawn that was to be used in the Assault is forfeited." Since the attack wsa never made, no Union Cards are employed.

Keep in mind that those cards returned to the Union Player's hand through play of Card 59, "Mudbound", could be declared again during that same turn.

Enjoy REBEL RAIDERS ON THE HIGH SEAS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Bignami
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.