Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had pledged at the $65.00 level on the Kickstarter campaign, but I sadly just pulled my pledge. I initially had my doubts about the product. The art looked great, but some of the major rules in the original example of play video did not match the rulebook. The cards online had seemingly variable templating, including a lot of words used to mean very similar sounding things without defining them. Still other cards included concepts that couldn't be derived from the wording on the cards, the online rules, or the original play video.

I had major doubts about the stability of the rulebook and the card templating, but the game looked novel and the designer was quite friendly so I backed it. While a subsequent example of play video was much improved, the game is still felt like it was not thoroughly blind tested. Tonight, the designer announced a major change to the rules and to the contents of the game. These rules changes may actually be for the better, but I'm not sure.

In the end, I pulled my pledge. I really want to like this game and support it, but it feels like the game hasn't been blind tested by outside groups enough. I'm more afraid at this point of getting a game needing 100 page FAQ than I am of missing out on a very cool game. The latter result is entirely possible, because the mechanics here look potentially quite novel.

While I hope that this Kickstarter goes well for Shingo games and the fans of the game, I am not financially supporting the Kickstarter. I am not writing to undermine the Kickstarter, but to encourage the folks at Shingo Games to really figure out the rules of their game before the campaign ends. Chances are that if significant rules changes get made without a lot of outside blind testing, the game will have so many problems that it will die after launch. If significant effort is made to focus on the rules and to release highly polished cards in "print and play" format before the end of the Kickstarter, there's a chance that the game could be a huge success.

The Kickstarter is currently stalled, hovering just barely above the minimum funding. Hopefully, by focusing on a comprehensive rulebook and some polished print and play cards, Shingo Games can attract many more fans to its Kickstarter before the clock runs down. I wish them the very best.

Best regards,
Lee Valentine

P.S. The latest rules change may be in the right direction. I hope that blind testing proves that it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Lam
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hi Lee,

Thank you for your concerns! The updated gameplay rulings have indeed altered the game, making it much quicker and offers more dice based strategy and options that allow us to forego the Strategy Blinds. Since our decision to do so, we've played and logged just over 100 games in-house. Today, we have begun blind testing and are scheduled to have 50 games logged by Thursday and another 50 by Saturday. Our goal is to have at least 200 games logged between in-house and blind testing before Monday so we can ensure that this game is solid and at the right speed and precision we intended for.

We are very fortunate to have passionate people and backers who have also molded what we began with to something even more intuitive, based on the playing style of who this game is made for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have posted a print and play set weeks ago. Why? Because the art on the set that you just posted is very attractive. Some of the ideas are pretty interesting too.

I still think the game looks quite innovative. Still, there's the rulebook that troubles me. I have addressed some of these questions in a separate thread on the print and play cards.

If you improved the rulebook and the card templating, I would be back on board as a supporter instantly. I still think that the game looks novel, and the art is great. This is definitely a labor of love. Since a lot of the gamespeak on the cards isn't in the rulebook, I'm still worried about that 100 page FAQ.

I wish you luck on the Kickstarter. I'll keep watching to see how the rulebook shapes up. The print and play is pretty impressive.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, while I still have my concerns, you have been so thorough at answering questions that I'll back the project in spite of my concerns.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.