Hide
5 Posts

March of the Ants» Forums » General

Subject: Choose Your Ant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Huffman
msg tools
I'm not sure what the email meant by the 'main comment section' so I'll just start a thread here and hope not to many people rage over it

I'm suggesting the Termite. I realize its not technically of the ant genus but a very close relative that might add some interesting new possibilities to the game. I'm thinking it might gain benefits from wood-themed areas and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Swisher
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great initiative starting the thread here! We had though the comments on the KickStarter page, but it's great for us to get more posts here and gain some BGG Hotness on their front page. We will make sure we collect ideas from both sites before releasing the first round of candidates so post either place.

Here are some of the ants i would love to see:

Southern Wood Ant (Formica ruff)- Acid spraying ant who builds giant nests with multiple dreams.

Yellow Meadow Ant, dairying ants (Lasius flavus)- Underground aphid herders who milk honeydew.

Bullet Ants (Paraponera cravat)- Hunting ant with the insect kingdom's most powerful sting.

Sahara Desert Ant (Cataglyphis bicolor)- They forage for the corpses of lesser insects who succumbed to the heat of the Desert. They navigate by the angle of the Sun, a skill previously seen only in honey bees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if you can do anything to simulate army ants within the game.

Although their behaviour is so extreme it would probably need some specific rules.

Maybe also include fire ant raft forming behaviour, perhaps giving immunity to flooding or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meyer
Germany
Tarmstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see an ant like the Weaver Ant, as they are special about their nesting behaviour:

As they are building nests by using the silk of their larvae for connecting leaves, this might match with using larvae tokens for some (probably more defensive) ingame-action-things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Swisher
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah weaver ants are really cool and reveal how ants use self-sacrafice to benefit the whole nest. The weaver larvae produce a silk-like thread that instead of being used to make a cocoon for their transformation into adults, is used by the workers to stitch leaves together and make giant nests in the trees (zero dirt). The feat requires two huge cooperative pieces, the hundreds of ants that work together to grab leaves and pull them together, and the silk-spitting larvae who are wielded by adults almost as welding tools.

Weaver ants are so bad @$$ that a lot of ants mimic them in nature to be left alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.