Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a little trouble picking up how to use Datasucker. I understand that on a successful run, it gains a hosted counter that lowers the strength of the approached ice. Do you actually spend the hosted counters each time it gets used? Also, it works alongside with any of your breakers when taking out ice, right? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes...you spend the counter if you wish to use Datasucker to lower the ice strength. And it is used in conjunction with other breakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you've got the right of it. It's often used to lower the strength of ice so that breakers whose strength cannot be boosted can break subroutines on them (mimic and yog.0 are good examples). Short of that, they can be used instead of boosting icebreakers to make runs cheaper (as well as a few other tricks).

It may seem lackluster on first blush, but I remember being very surprised how quickly those counters build up and make a big difference when I first tried them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It synergizes really well with Parasites too. You can place a parasite on turn 1 on a piece of ICE that let's say is a str 3.

Turn 2 you can take a run on that server. You can use 3 data sucker tokens to destroy the piece of ICE that the parasite is on by bringing this to str zero.

You would then not have to deal with the ICE's subroutines as you have destroyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snake_Eyes wrote:
It synergizes really well with Parasites too. You can place a parasite on turn 1 on a piece of ICE that let's say is a str 3.

Turn 2 you can take a run on that server. You can use 3 data sucker tokens to destroy the piece of ICE that the parasite is on by bringing this to str zero.

You would then not have to deal with the ICE's subroutines as you have destroyed it.

You actually only need 2x Sucker tokens in this scenario, as Parasite gained a token at the start of turn 2, reducing the ICE to strength 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
errr.. You are correct. I meant to say "click" instead of "turn". Oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bellamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bm_eagle wrote:
I understand that on a successful run, it gains a hosted counter that lowers the strength of the approached ice.

Datasucker only gains a token on a successful run on a central server (HQ, R+D, Archives).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bellamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I've ever tried it, but Datasucker will synergise well with Atman too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
charvelsocal wrote:
Not that I've ever tried it, but Datasucker will synergise well with Atman too.

As all Katman players will attest to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Leonard
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering, if I have accumulated, let's say 3 Virus tokens on my Datasucker card, and then later on I encounter a piece of Ice, can I spend those 3 tokens in a single shot (to lower the Ice's strength by 3) ?

Or do I have to restrict it to 1 token for that piece of Ice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McGown
United States
Pittsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes you can use as many Datasucker tokens as you have, so in this case you could use 3 to reduce the ice by 3 strength if you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Leonard
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn, that's a strong card!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 11 of the rulebook in the big blue "Paid Ability" box:
Quote:
Example: The Runner card Datasucker has the text “Hosted virus counter: Rezzed piece of ice currently being encountered has –1 strength until the end of
the encounter.” The Runner must spend 1 of the virus counters on Datasucker (returning it to the token bank) in order to trigger this ability, after which the strength of the chosen ice is lowered by 1.

Page 21 of the rulebook under "Paid Abilities":
Quote:
Paid abilities- In order to trigger a paid ability, a trigger cost must be paid. The most common trigger costs are spending clicks, credits, or hosted counters, and trashing cards. A
card’s trigger cost is always listed in its text box before the
effect, following the format “cost: effect.” A paid ability can be triggered an unlimited number of times as long as the cost is paid and any restrictions specified by the effect are observed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, the damper on this enthusiasm is the corp just taking a turn to clear out ALL your virus counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.