Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
The title is the suggestion meeple

Of course, filling this field should be voluntary.

Background: Usually - for various reasons - I am interested in how old a certain user is. I wrote that information on my profile page, but having a space for it is surely an invitation for other users to do so and could also be nice for automated geeky birthday greetings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
The title is the suggestion meeple

Background: Usually - for various reasons - I am interested in how old a certain user is. I wrote that information on my profile page, but having a space for it is surely an invitation for other users to do so and could also be nice for automated geeky birthday greetings.

No way! That is personal information that could be used in identity theft. There are spiders crawling all over the web putting personal info together. Why make it easy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
No way! That is personal information that could be used in identity theft. There are spiders crawling all over the web putting personal info together. Why make it easy?

One might say the same about people's names and cities/states/countries...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

As voluntary as giving away your name, country, state, city or whatever, as Russ already stated meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There's also a slew of microbadges ... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:

I know, I already bought mine. But not everyone has 8 meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
herace wrote:

One might say the same about people's names and cities/states/countries...

None of that is anywhere near as sensitive as date of birth. Including this feature exposes people to risk. It sounds far-fetched until you have the horrible experience of having your identity stolen, and then it becomes serious.

EDIT: Typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
LudesFactor wrote:

I know, I already bought mine. But not everyone has 8 meeple

Happy birthday, Ron!

If you'd want it as a voluntary field, I suppose that's fine, but no thanks for me. I just had my birthdate (and every other piece of personally identifiable information) stolen from eBay. Lesson learned. I'm steering clear of providing that data point in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

As voluntary as giving away your name, country, state, city or whatever, as Russ already stated meeple

Being a nervous nellie, I would worry that such information would make BGG itself more of target for hacking. Many folks are using their real name somewhere in the account. With name, address, and birthdate that is a lot of personal information. So even if I don't my birth date isn't in BGG, the fact that others are would increase my risk.

Name and address are in phone book if you have a landline. So that information alone doesn't make BGG much of a target.

BGG also doesn't keep and credit card numbers. Again no reason to target BGG.

Remember safes are only rated for how long it takes a safe cracker to get in. All safes can be cracked. Just a matter of time and effort to do so. So if a hacker is willing to spend time and money to crack a site, then it can be done. The only way to avoid that is to absolutely require physical access to a secured site too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

Being a nervous nellie, I would worry that such information would make BGG itself more of target for hacking. Many folks are using their real name somewhere in the account. With name, address, and birthdate that is a lot of personal information. So even if I don't my birth date isn't in BGG, the fact that others are would increase my risk.

Name and address are in phone book if you have a landline. So that information alone doesn't make BGG much of a target.

BGG also doesn't keep and credit card numbers. Again no reason to target BGG.

Remember safes are only rated for how long it takes a safe cracker to get in. All safes can be cracked. Just a matter of time and effort to do so. So if a hacker is willing to spend time and money to crack a site, then it can be done. The only way to avoid that is to absolutely require physical access to a secured site too.

So is this a bad time for me to suggest voluntary profile fields for users' Social Security Numbers and mother's maiden names?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptWilly wrote:

So is this a bad time for me to suggest voluntary profile fields for users' Social Security Numbers and mother's maiden names?

Only if you forget to add bank account numbers, passwords, comprehensive health history, and criminal records. That's the only way to put the information in context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is a sad world we live in these days.
Last year I finished writing up my dissertation. In the Biographical Sketch for the end of the document I wrote the city and country of my birth. The graduate school editorial office told me to take that out b/c of identity thieves.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I understand some of the points you guys made, I really see no harm in adding a simple date input field.

There's a Ron, born ín '65, living in Austria, having an impressive game collection. No address, no phone, no CC, no eMail ... you don't even know if Ron is my real first name! I voluntarily give away some more information on my profile page, but again, you don't know if any of it is true. Heck, you don't even know if my game collection really exists!

I usually - no always - try to maintain my anonymity on the net ... but I always had the impression that the display of my age is useless information for criminal minds ... especially when you can't correlate it with my real name or address.
Although, I maybe wrong here ... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
While I understand some of the points you guys made, I really see no harm in adding a simple date input field.

There's a Ron, born ín '65, living in Austria, having an impressive game collection. No address, no phone, no CC, no eMail ... you don't even know if Ron is my real first name! I voluntarily give away some more information on my profile page, but again, you don't know if any of it is true. Heck, you don't even know if my game collection really exists!

I usually - no always - try to maintain my anonymity on the net ... but I always had the impression that the display of my age is useless information for criminal minds ... especially when you can't correlate it with my real name or address.
Although, I maybe wrong here ... meeple

Your IP address is an identifier. Spiders look at bits and pieces here and there and put a dossier together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
herace wrote:
Your IP address is an identifier. Spiders look at bits and pieces here and there and put a dossier together.

Spiders don't need IP addresses. They use information which is much harder to camouflage: your browser's version string, your OS, a list of installed fonts on your computer, the screen resolution, ... All of which combined yields a sufficiently unique and persistent identifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
They use information which is much harder to camouflage: your browser's version string, your OS, a list of installed fonts on your computer, the screen resolution, ... All of which combined yields a sufficiently unique and persistent identifier.

For an interesting demonstration of this:
https://panopticlick.eff.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL - I just created a second account for a project and you have to enter "some" birthday to "prove" you're over 13. Don't think you can edit it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
LOL - I just created a second account for a project and you have to enter "some" birthday to "prove" you're over 13. Don't think you can edit it again.

I wonder if the entered date is permanently recorded or just used temporarily to legally give you the ability to create an account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
badge
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron.. Your collection exist.. In my apartment.. I stole it last night ninja Muhahah devil

I'm not that cantankerous. If people know I'm 24 or not, it doesn't really matter to me. I would fill it if I had the option, since somebody might find it interesting/useful to know how old I am. As long as it would be voluntary, I can't see the problem. Don't add it to your profile, if you don't want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.