Subject: When does one go to far? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben
Belgium
Transylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wondering about this for some time now and I was hoping to get some insight from my fellow geeks.

I love this boardgame, 1st & 2nd edition, favorite game hands down.

What I love about this game is wreaking havoc amongst other alliances, pointing out that if they would betray them 'now' would be the time to do it because...(enter plausible reason)

What I also tend to do is give other players tactical advice to help them win their battle, but ultimately helping me win the throne :-)

This has always worked to my advantage but a few of my friends are catching on, 'yea whenever he starts giving out free advice or just talks a lot in general, he's going for the victory, BEWARE!'

And I love it! The funny thing is that all & all I'm not that good at it, I keep making mistakes myself, which card to play, which order to put...but I get victories :-)

But to get to my point. How much advice and meddling is allowed in other players' battles? I sometimes go as far as to suggest that although he's being attacked the attacker might not want to win this battle so that you would use your best card so that he can attack you with the order he placed there and make sure he beats you there, where as you play a that card you can retreat there and use your own march order to retake ...

Yea I'm that kinda jerk :-)

So....too much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule of thumb, I think when people feel you're playing the game for somebody else, you've gone too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as your friends still want to play with you I'd say you haven't gone too far yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick V
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Always comes down to who is playing as mentioned.

Our core players know that we're going to do whatever it takes to win. If we have new players, or if we coerced someone into playing just so we have six we're not nearly as ruthless... which granted I think sometimes has shifted game balance and had effects on who wins it makes for a much enjoyable game knowing everyone is having fun.

I think the game mechanics are really just a vehicle to a great game if alliances, plotting, and backstabbing! Our communication is always open

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruben,

When I interfere in someone's battles or play, I do it in a Monty Python style where no one can really tell if I am serious: "You don't want to attack him there... no, no, no, no, no, no... well maybe yes..." and the other players attempt the same. As long as everyone is enjoying his or herself then anything goes.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule: offer advice only if asked for or the player looks as if he really needs one. Otherwise if I wanted to play for other players than I wouldn't even need them there.

That said, GoT *is* a game where you should manipulate other players to a certain extent. However I feel doing so very... umm.. unsubtly would do little else beyond making a lot of enemies very fast...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have a house rule about combat. No one (save the two players in conflict) are allowed to say anything unless asked directly. It's not so much out of some sense of morality, but battles drag on when everyone has an opinion. Generally, the same thing applies to movement, but we are not as rigid as movement to an empty space concerns one or more players long term interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean the mean
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
read the room, as long as they're not frustrated by your constant stirrings then all is ok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.