Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and have read all the reviews on it. Pretty much, the only major complaint anyone has about this game is the level to which the dice affect the outcome of the game. In other words, there is TOO much randomness in the game.

I spent some time pondering this issue. I really LOVE the theme of this game... and the improvements on the basic Monopoly mechanics is fantastic. In order to alleviate some concerns that some people have about the dice in this game (so that this game will gain a larger fan base), I have crafted a potential solution to this issue! And it is a relatively easy fix!

Added components: 1 extra 6-sided die per player in the game.

Modification to Set-up: Each player rolls a die and places that die on their play mat.

Modification to Play Procedure: Any time during your turn, when you roll the dice (for ANY reason), you may exchange one of the rolled dice for the die on your play mat. When you do this, take one die of the pair rolled and place it on your play mat.

The Net Effect: What this basically translates to is that you have a choice of 3 numbers every time you roll the dice (unless you roll doubles). While the number of dice rolls won't change, you DO have a little more control over the dice. This will affect a couple of things in the game however. One of the Ancient Ones has the ability to adjust his movement by spending cultists. His ability will be used less often. In addition, doubles can be "avoided" now so that triple-doubles will not happen as often.

I think this will be a very suitable fix for the basic complaint that I perceive people have with this game. Hopefully, if this fix is used, the number of fans for the game will grow!

Have fun! Let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your fix. Quick and simple. But I don't exactly know that it will expand the fan base. After all, there are some other ways to mitigate the dice rolls through cards and abilities.

Bottom line is randomness is just going to be part of this game, and that's ok. I think what really turns people off on this game is the whole Monopoly thing. And thats ashame because other than being the root inspiration for this game, and of course a roll and move, it really plays nothing like Monopoly.

And this is a game to play when you want some fast fun without having to burn brain cells. So diehard euro gamers will more than likely turn their nose up at it and keep a closed mind. Therein lies the problem.

Keep an open mind and try Doom That Came to AC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.