Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Triple Letter Target Lock tokens? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Was looking at the posting of the Bajoran Interceptor at Wizkids and noticing the WW target lock tokens. I'm curious how far we might get over the course of this game. Certainly it looks like we should be hitting AAA by Wave 6. May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year? I wonder, I'd be amused to see how many letters will be crammed into an expansion's target lock token in the future
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could also do letter combos

AB
AC
AD
AE
AF

etc
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Could also go numbers.

Realistically they could have just done a pool of about a dozen in the starter, and that would be more than enough for nearly anything, six for each player without doubling up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For Star Wars, I had gotten into the habit of issuing each ship a third numbered token. That functioned as the target lock. Lock a ship, put your number out by it. The overall effect was less clutter on the table and fewer markers to track.

I think you could do the same with this game. If you have double of a particular ship, you'll have spare Captain tokens for it. Why not use a spare as a lock, too? For example, if you have two base sets, you have two E-Ds and so two sets of Picard tokens. Use a third Picard token as the Target Lock for any ship he's on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Goodman
United Kingdom
St. Neots
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:

Realistically they could have just done a pool of about a dozen in the starter, and that would be more than enough for nearly anything, six for each player without doubling up.


Absolutely. I've kept two of A through F and thrown the rest into the bitz box or the recycling bin. There is no need for new ones in every ship.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year?


I'm reserving that one for use with the Transphasics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing we'll be doing AB, AC, AD, etc. first before triple letters. I was surprised to see the WW though. I know the OP stuff has used some of the double letters, but the normal releases were only as far as AA. With the Gorn and wave 5 (including the fighters), I'd think we'd only be up to 40 ships.

Colin Goodman wrote:
alepperd wrote:

Realistically they could have just done a pool of about a dozen in the starter, and that would be more than enough for nearly anything, six for each player without doubling up.


Absolutely. I've kept two of A through F and thrown the rest into the bitz box or the recycling bin. There is no need for new ones in every ship.


Doesn't really hurt anyone that they put them in every expansion. People with enough aren't obligated to keep any of the tokens they don't need, and for someone who's starting out, its nice having every token you need to play the ship included in its expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year?


I'm reserving that one for use with the Transphasics.


If we go with letter combinations instead, hold out for FU for transphasics?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
kobold47 wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year?


I'm reserving that one for use with the Transphasics.


If we go with letter combinations instead, hold out for FU for transphasics?


I'm sure by then we'll get a card that's much nastier than transphasics...

I for one like having (almost) one of every letter in the alphabet. It's nice to have "P" for Picard, "K" for Kirk, "J" for Janeway. Or "V" for Valdore, "W" for Worf/Weyoun, etc. etc.

But yeah, once they get heavy into double letters, we probably won't try so hard to keep one of everything in each of our two Plano boxes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:
Was looking at the posting of the Bajoran Interceptor at Wizkids and noticing the WW target lock tokens. I'm curious how far we might get over the course of this game. Certainly it looks like we should be hitting AAA by Wave 6. May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year? I wonder, I'd be amused to see how many letters will be crammed into an expansion's target lock token in the future


holy cow how did I not see those pictures on the WizKids site lol. Still can't see what slots are on the generic cards! oh well
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stpitner wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
Was looking at the posting of the Bajoran Interceptor at Wizkids and noticing the WW target lock tokens. I'm curious how far we might get over the course of this game. Certainly it looks like we should be hitting AAA by Wave 6. May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year? I wonder, I'd be amused to see how many letters will be crammed into an expansion's target lock token in the future


holy cow how did I not see those pictures on the WizKids site lol. Still can't see what slots are on the generic cards! oh well


I know, right? I rushed over thinking I'd be able to discern the upgrade slots for the generics and input them into Rob Tsuk's Space Dock forms, but no luck.

Also, do we know what the special number tokens are for the Bajoran Interceptor? I assume they're mission related.

EDIT: I just realized that we now know what the Tactical Cube's maneuver dial will be. It looks like it's the same as the Sphere, except the 3 Straight is now white instead of green, and the 2 reverse is red. I was actually really hoping it would have more red Spin maneuvers.

Also, the Bajoran Interceptor (as I suspected) has an identical dial with the Fed Fighters, and the D'Kyr is almost the same as the Excelsior (1 reverse instead of 2)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have changing Double letters.

Not sure if anyone else does this, but since we got most of the alphabet, whenever I use multiple target locks, I tend to find words to spell across my opponent's ships. My default set aside one right now is, F U N, and typically means they have 3 ships target locking 1 of their ships.

Double letter will hopefully get better for writing stuff on ships, but I need to wait for the good ones.

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I find it to be a good side joke while playing around.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
charles_skrobis wrote:
I'd rather have changing Double letters.

Not sure if anyone else does this, but since we got most of the alphabet, whenever I use multiple target locks, I tend to find words to spell across my opponent's ships. My default set aside one right now is, F U N, and typically means they have 3 ships target locking 1 of their ships.

Double letter will hopefully get better for writing stuff on ships, but I need to wait for the good ones.

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I find it to be a good side joke while playing around.


how about modding the magnetic fridge poetry to your target locks as well?


Illyth wrote:
stpitner wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
Was looking at the posting of the Bajoran Interceptor at Wizkids and noticing the WW target lock tokens. I'm curious how far we might get over the course of this game. Certainly it looks like we should be hitting AAA by Wave 6. May we see AAAA sometime towards the end of next year? I wonder, I'd be amused to see how many letters will be crammed into an expansion's target lock token in the future


holy cow how did I not see those pictures on the WizKids site lol. Still can't see what slots are on the generic cards! oh well


I know, right? I rushed over thinking I'd be able to discern the upgrade slots for the generics and input them into Rob Tsuk's Space Dock forms, but no luck.

Also, do we know what the special number tokens are for the Bajoran Interceptor? I assume they're mission related.

EDIT: I just realized that we now know what the Tactical Cube's maneuver dial will be. It looks like it's the same as the Sphere, except the 3 Straight is now white instead of green, and the 2 reverse is red. I was actually really hoping it would have more red Spin maneuvers.

Also, the Bajoran Interceptor (as I suspected) has an identical dial with the Fed Fighters, and the D'Kyr is almost the same as the Excelsior (1 reverse instead of 2)


I'm tempted to try spinning the D'Kyr on its nose like a top, and the kid in me who loved trips to the science museum in Boston wishes there was a gyroscope where the warp nacelle ring is....or a compass.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.