Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I'm preparing for a big open tournament, but despite the games I've played of Netrunner and having got all the cards, I'm still relatively inexperienced and am getting practice as often as I can. I'm hoping this tournament will be a big eye-opener (in a good way!)

I've got two decks that I want to try out - one is a Jinteki Replicating Perfection deck which I know has been reasonably popular in tournaments lately (I did try to build something with the new Honor & Profit identities but struggled to come up with something reliable, even had a Medtech deck using the Accelerated Diagnostics combos as well which was ok, might post that up as an alternative soon. As for Tennin/Nisei, I just couldn't get them to work any better than other identities.

As for the Runner I want to do something more obscure, a deck idea that probably isn't that popular in the Meta - to try and catch people out who knows - a dangerous plot as I'm usually more comfortable playing the Corp than I am the Runner, but hey.

SO here's the decks - hopefully the links will work.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Jinteki: Replicating Perfection (Trace Amount)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (9)
Nisei MK II (Core) x3
Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit) x1
The Future Perfect (Honor and Profit) x3
NAPD Contract (Double Time) x2

Asset: (16)
Sundew (Mala Tempora) x3
Snare! (Core) x3
Shock! (True Colors) x3
Shi.Kyū (Honor and Profit) x3
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x2 ■
PAD Campaign (Core) x2

ICE: (16)
Eli 1.0 (Future Proof) x3 ■
Enigma (Core) x3
Heimdall 1.0 (Core) x1 ■■
Komainu (Honor and Profit) x2
Pup (Honor and Profit) x2
Susanoo-no-Mikoto (Honor and Profit) x1
Tollbooth (Core) x2 ■■
Inazuma (Honor and Profit) x2

Operation: (6)
Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3

Upgrade: (2)
Caprice Nisei (Double Time) x2

Total Agenda Points: 21

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 5
Jinteki: 67
NBN: 6
The Weyland Consortium: 0

Identity:
The Professor: Keeper of Knowledge (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: (46)

Event: (18)
Diesel (Core) x3
Freelance Coding Contract (Creation and Control) x3
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) x1
Modded (Core) x2
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) x3
Scavenge (Creation and Control) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus) x3

Hardware: (5)
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core) x1
Clone Chip (Creation and Control) x3
The Toolbox (Core) x1

Program: (22)
Magnum Opus (Core) x2
Net Shield (Core) x1
Torch (Mala Tempora) x1
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x3
Alias (Honor and Profit) x1 ■■
Corroder (Core) x1 ■■
Datasucker (Core) x1 ■
Djinn (Core) x1 ■■
Faerie (Future Proof) x1 ■■■
Femme Fatale (Core) x1 ■
Garrote (True Colors) x1 ■■■
Imp (What Lies Ahead) x1 ■■■
Medium (Core) x1 ■■■
Mimic (Core) x1 ■
Morning Star (What Lies Ahead) x1 ■■■■
Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus) x1 ■■
Parasite (Core) x1 ■■
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x1 ■■■
Yog.0 (Core) x1 ■

Resource: (1)
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core) x1

Anarch: 21
Criminal: 12
Shaper: 63

Here is the MEdtech Operations deck I was trying.

Identity:
Harmony Medtech: Biomedical Pioneer (Honor and Profit)

Total Cards: (40)

Agenda: (6)
Executive Retreat (Trace Amount) x3

Asset: (2)
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x2 ■

ICE: (11)
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Chimera (Cyber Exodus) x2
Guard (Honor and Profit) x3
Quandary (Double Time) x3

Operation: (21)
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3
Precognition (Core) x3
Mushin No Shin (Honor and Profit) x3
Accelerated Diagnostics (Mala Tempora) x3 ■
Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts) x3 ■
Fast Track (Honor and Profit) x1
Interns (Mala Tempora) x2
Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing) x3

Upgrade: (0)

Total Agenda Points: 18

Haas-Bioroid: 3
Jinteki: 24
NBN: 5
The Weyland Consortium: 3

I feel I've done alright with the Runner deck, but maybe need advice on some changes to the chosen programs/icebreakers I've put in. The Medtech deck was doing ok, but maybe could use a tweak - I am struggling to finalise the Replicating Perfection deck though.

Any help would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I entered my first tournament with 1 core set and 3 data packs and I made top 4, you'll be fine. Just try to have fun with it, and use it as a learning experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Yes your first tournament is going to be a ton of fun and a huge learning experience Know that you'll probably lose horribly, but if you enter with the mindset that you'll get creamed, but come out of it a better player, you're going to have a good time.

2) Your last two decks both lack economy badly. Professor only has Freelance Coding and Aesops, both which are pretty unreliable and depend on the board state and your hand to give you money. Your Medtech deck has 3 Sublimal Messaging for economy. That's it. That's 1 credit per turn. That's a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're going to become a better player so much faster by entering tournaments. Good luck, and have a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has taken the prof to a tournament - my advice would be "don't", but because that is unhelpful - i'm going to reiterate what the others said - you're light on econ.

Also - keyhole wins games - I'd drop morningstar for it without question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm very much a "against the META" type player if I can help it. I know the Professor isn't popular, but I'm tired of seeing nothing but Criminal Andy/GabeSiphon decks and Kate Shaper decks everywhere. I have a Criminal deck, but it's Silhouette using Quest Completed/Notoriety - i.e. not a very reliable archetype but different from the norm.

I did consider Anarch, but everyone again uses Noise, I don't quite "get" the concept of all the Caissa stuff with Reina so that leaves me mainly with Whizzard who looks cool, but I don't see being used much.

The Medtech deck never really required much economy as everything in the deck costs so little in value. But I could perhaps replace:

Subliminal Messaging x 1 (maybe even 2)
Interns x 2 (never liked it much anyway)

with 3-4 cards that focus on economy - I'm guessing Hedge Funds or maybe even Green Level Clearances? Oh wait stupid, Celebrity Gifts maybe?

Keyhole - gets talked about a lot, but I fear I'm missing something in terms of how awesome it is. Granted trashing a card is nice, but isn't agenda busting better?

Edit - oh wait, trash an agenda, run Archives - stupid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Well I'm very much a "against the META" type player if I can help it. I know the Professor isn't popular, but I'm tired of seeing nothing but Criminal Siphon decks and Kate Shaper decks everywhere. I have a Criminal deck, but it's Silhouette using Quest Completed/Notoriety - i.e. not a very reliable archetype but different from the norm.

I did consider Anarch, but everyone again uses Noise, I don't quite "get" the concept of all the Caissa stuff with Reina so that leaves me mainly with Whizzard who looks cool, but I don't see being used much.

The Medtech deck never really required much economy as everything in the deck costs so little in value. But I could perhaps replace:

Subliminal Messaging x 1 (maybe even 2)
Interns x 2 (never liked it much anyway)

with 3-4 cards that focus on economy - I'm guessing Hedge Funds or maybe even Green Level Clearances? Oh wait stupid, Celebrity Gifts maybe?

Keyhole - gets talked about a lot, but I fear I'm missing something in terms of how awesome it is. Granted trashing a card is nice, but isn't agenda busting better?

Run R&D. Throw an Agenda into Archives (or failing that, a card the Corp would greatly benefit from). Shuffle R&D. Repeat a few times. Collect your prizes from Archives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an updated Medtech Operations list - I would have preferred to stay at 40 cards, but I just couldn't do it. Added some more economy cards to bolster the deck to 44 - though adding Blue Level Clearance did require some sacrifices/changes on the influence front.

Identity:
Harmony Medtech: Biomedical Pioneer (Honor and Profit)

Total Cards: (44)

Agenda: (6)
Executive Retreat (Trace Amount) x3

Asset: (0)

ICE: (11)
Chimera (Cyber Exodus) x2
Guard (Honor and Profit) x3
Quandary (Double Time) x3
Himitsu-Bako (Opening Moves) x3

Operation: (25)
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3
Precognition (Core) x3
Mushin No Shin (Honor and Profit) x3
Accelerated Diagnostics (Mala Tempora) x3 ■
Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts) x3 ■
Fast Track (Honor and Profit) x2
Subliminal Messaging (Fear and Loathing) x2
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Blue Level Clearance (Fear and Loathing) x3 ■■

Upgrade: (2)
Caprice Nisei (Double Time) x2

Total Agenda Points: 18

Haas-Bioroid: 9
Jinteki: 38
NBN: 3
The Weyland Consortium: 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Well I'm very much a "against the META" type player if I can help it. I know the Professor isn't popular, but I'm tired of seeing nothing but Criminal Andy/GabeSiphon decks and Kate Shaper decks everywhere. I have a Criminal deck, but it's Silhouette using Quest Completed/Notoriety - i.e. not a very reliable archetype but different from the norm.

Playing against the meta is fine - there are plenty of viable IDs out there that aren't Andy / Gabe / Kate that can be used to surprise unprepared corps.

I'm just saying in my experience with the current card pool, picking the professor is intentionally playing with a hand tied behind your back instead a surprise winning play.

If you're a strong player like Sebastion, I'm sure you can do fine, but if this is your first tournament and you're still getting your feet wet - I'd recommend exploring something else if you really want to shock your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have a look at others (Peddler was tempting), but it could be worse, I could be trying to use Ian Stirling or Chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.