David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically see the subject, I'm worried that using fighters as research allows you to win with Elusive Victory too easily and I'm tempted to house rule that Warfare Technology can't be used for the Elusive/Exclusive Victory Promo.

Comparison:
Old Requirements: Prestige Planet, Utopian Planet, 12 Research Symbols
New Requirements: Prestige Planet, Utopian Planet, Metallic Planet, 2 Cruisers or 5 Research Symbols then a total of 12 between research symbols and fighters.

Basically my worry is that by far the hardest part of Elusive Victory was getting 12 Research symbols and getting an extra Metallic Planet and researching a 5 Research cost tech and using fighters is just too much easier. Maybe I should come back after dominating a few games with this strategy, but I wanted to know what you guys think (With the expansion rule of choosing between a random base and random expansion planet, you should be able to start most games with Metallic or Prestige).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighters and research symbols can't be combined, and when something lists only research symbols as a cost, you can't use fighters at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Fighters and research symbols can't be combined, and when something lists only research symbols as a cost, you can't use fighters at all.

Normally yes, but I'm talking about using the Metallic Technology "Warfare Technology" which page 17 of the expansion rules clarifies allows you to freely mix fighters and Research Symbols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. What is the card on the other side of that? For some reason, I've never seen it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Whoops. What is the card on the other side of that? For some reason, I've never seen it!

That's ok, the card on the other side is "Wealth of Knowledge" which lets you use standard Survey cards to boost (not follow) any role.

Edit: I guess if someone works out what your doing they can research Exclusive Victory to stop you getting Elusive Victory, but I'd hate to be the guy who has to research an almost useless card instead of a proper decent 5 cost research in 3+ players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
david707 wrote:
I'm worried that using fighters as research allows you to win with Elusive Victory too easily and I'm tempted to house rule that Warfare Technology can't be used for the Elusive/Exclusive Victory Promo.

... Maybe I should come back after dominating a few games with this strategy, but I wanted to know what you guys think (With the expansion rule of choosing between a random base and random expansion planet, you should be able to start most games with Metallic or Prestige).

I'd be interested to know how your games go trying for that alternate victory.

To be absolutely honest, Elusive/Exclusive Victory is a promo that, as far as I was concerned when designing Escalation, didn't really exist. Especially considering that many EmDo players do not have access to a copy of the card.

I suspect it's still fairly difficult to get Elusive victory, even the way you describe, but you may be right. If you find that it's too easy, then the obvious solution is that Elusive Victory is for base game use only, and is not compatible with Escalation.

A house rule you could use is that the start Planet doesn't count toward the planet requirements for Elusive Victory - so no starting 1/2 way there with a Prestige planet. That might help make it appropriately difficult to get the tech.

I suppose your concern could apply to Black Market as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Especially considering that many EmDo players do not have access to a copy of the card."

I have a copy of the card but I don't use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
david707 wrote:
I'm worried that using fighters as research allows you to win with Elusive Victory too easily and I'm tempted to house rule that Warfare Technology can't be used for the Elusive/Exclusive Victory Promo.

... Maybe I should come back after dominating a few games with this strategy, but I wanted to know what you guys think (With the expansion rule of choosing between a random base and random expansion planet, you should be able to start most games with Metallic or Prestige).

I'd be interested to know how your games go trying for that alternate victory.

To be absolutely honest, Elusive/Exclusive Victory is a promo that, as far as I was concerned when designing Escalation, didn't really exist. Especially considering that many EmDo players do not have access to a copy of the card.

I suspect it's still fairly difficult to get Elusive victory, even the way you describe, but you may be right. If you find that it's too easy, then the obvious solution is that Elusive Victory is for base game use only, and is not compatible with Escalation.

A house rule you could use is that the start Planet doesn't count toward the planet requirements for Elusive Victory - so no starting 1/2 way there with a Prestige planet. That might help make it appropriately difficult to get the tech.

I suppose your concern could apply to Black Market as well.

I've played a few games with the expansion and the promo and at the moment it seems that whilst Warfare Tech would make getting Elusive Victory easier, someone will usually research Exclusive Victory to stop you, but luckily you still have a decent tech and planet setup and can still win normally.

I'm going to try the following house rule variants for the next few games to see how it goes:
- Warfare Technology and Black Market can't be used to research any card with "Victory" in the name.
- Exclusive Victory has the same planetary requirements as Elusive Victory
I'll let you know how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.