Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I finally received my KS package yesterday, minus any dice.

First impression is very positive, fantastic quality components if we for now ignore typos and misprints. Theyy are a minor annoyance and didn't actually affect my first playing. Though it does only use a tiny fraction of the components so time will tell.

I can never leave any unpunched components in a box so first job was to punch all counters, which was easy as they are well cut and all the boards and counters are thick and of high quality with the linen finish that I always prefer.

Threw away the box insert which was only bland white card anyway. The box then took all the map boards, wooden order tokens, cards, squad templates and turn track comfortably. I put the cards into 4 ziplock bags, 2 for each side which allows the lid to go on flat. This leaves all the cardboard terrain, unit, command and equipment tokens outside the box which is full and heavy anyway.

I put the Dust, Ctulhu, Free French, German and American counters each in their own large ziplock bags, and within each large bag I segregated the sub species of tokens into smaller ziplock bags.

Finally I put all the terrain overlays, Buildings, generic equipment and game tokens, once again segregating them within smaler ziplock bags.

All 6 large ziplock bags have a new home in a small tupperware style plastic container. It is physically impossible to fit everything in the base game box so don't waste time trying.

So, today I set up the tutorial 'hunt the briefcase' mission and played it solo. Not much to say other than the Germans escaped with the briefcase on turn 4 due to some sneaky card play. I was referring to the rulebook quite a lot at first, but didn't have any real problems.

Love the components, and gameplay is intuitive. Will be much better against an opponent and with a more complex scenario, but it was just a tutorial after all.

One thing, the scenario book doesn't name the map boards, so the first time you play each scenario write the board ref numbers on the scenario beside the picture of the layout to save a few minutes in future games.

Setup time is quite quick, particularly compared to games like M44 and especially Tide of Iron.

The longest part being setting the card decks up for each scenario.

Thaaaat's all for now folks !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear that you have now received the game after your wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Pretty lousy as a review; more of a session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion and you obviously didn't read the headline.

Hundreds of folks in America and all points around the world are anxiously awaiting their copy of this game so I put this out there for info about quality and such.

I will do a detailed review once I have played a number of games.

Feel free not to read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil happy to see you received the game... :)
I suggest you find a willing opponent as this game really shines only agaimst another player. The order mechanic and the card thing make it quite impossible to play an entertaining match solo.
Anyway you can have fun designing new scenarios...this is a part I really enjoy doing by myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patgarret77 wrote:
Phil happy to see you received the game...
I suggest you find a willing opponent as this game really shines only agaimst another player. The order mechanic and the card thing make it quite impossible to play an entertaining match solo.
Anyway you can have fun designing new scenarios...this is a part I really enjoy doing by myself.

I have become adept at solo gaming after many years of experience and had a lot of fun in the process. i did say it would be better against an opponent , obviously, but it is far from impossible to enjoy solo if your mind works that way. You get used to compartmentalising information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davide pessach
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understan your point, I use to play a lot of combat commander solo. Still I find HON to be harder to enjoy solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:

I don't know why anyone would feel the need to post such a rude response. It would be easily possible to POLITELY suggest that this is more of a session report than a review - although that would be wrong - I find far more information about the game and the rules than I do about the scenario. All I know about the scenario is it's name and the game was lost on turn 4 due to "sneaky card play"! Hardly a session report!

In contrast to the "session report", let's look at this "lousy" review. From this brief read, I've learned :-

philmcd wrote:
First impression is very positive, fantastic quality components if we for now ignore typos and misprints.

all the boards and counters are thick and of high quality with the linen finish that I always prefer.

It is physically impossible to fit everything in the base game box so don't waste time trying.

Love the components, and gameplay is intuitive.

Setup time is quite quick, particularly compared to games like M44 and especially Tide of Iron.

Quite a bit of stuff there - good and bad. (typos, can't fit everything in box.) I've learned less about games in some longer reviews. This game is new - few people have played it much - it's great that someone has taken up their time to give us an early first impression. Yes, a more detailed review would be very welcome, but in the meantime let's respect the effort made so far. If people take the time out to post information about games on here, I take exception to their efforts being called "lousy". If the OP was an enthusiastic newcomer to BGG, he might well feel disinclined to post again if that's the sort of knee-jerk response to his efforts he is likely to receive.

I'm grateful for Phil's time and effort in putting this short but informative review together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
"Threw away the box insert which was only bland white card anyway."

Please recycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
"Threw away the box insert which was only bland white card anyway."

Please recycle.

I did and it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
mi_de wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion and you obviously didn't read the headline.

Hundreds of folks in America and all points around the world are anxiously awaiting their copy of this game so I put this out there for info about quality and such.

I will do a detailed review once I have played a number of games.

Feel free not to read it.

1 So you might equally have posted it under the heading of strategy or rules? whistle
2 Is there now a detailed review after a number of games or have other distractions precluded further play? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.