Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
It's obviously an advantage to be able to keep count of cards in this game, but for some reason it took me ages to figure out the most efficient way.

The important thing is that the only cards you need to track are the ones you've passed to your neighbour. Every other card you know anything about is either in your hand or face-up on the table.

So at the beginning of the game, remember which 3/4 cards you passed, and then knock one off your mental count each time your neighbour plays one of those cards. It gets a little harder after the second pass, because now you need to knock off unaccounted-for cards from the first pass when they're played by the player two seats round too.

Anyway, this should allow you to have some idea of the last few cards left in players' hands at the end of a round, which is incredibly useful.

There's also a corollary - all else being equal, it's best to play the cards you've just been passed as soon as possible, as this denies information to the player who passed them to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
The difficulty comes in when I pass, say, a blue card in round 1 and then in round 2 my neighbor's neighbor plays that blue card - are they playing the blue card I originally had, or did my neighbor pass them a "different" blue card?

Yeah, that's what I meant about it getting more difficult after the 2nd pass. If you want to keep track of cards you're certain are out there, you have to assume it's the same card and deduct it from your running total.

Quote:
I never pay as much attention as I should in this game, mostly because it seems overwhelming. I'll try your simplified approach and see how it goes.

Yep, since I figured this out I've found I can pay much more attention to the other aspects of the game.

Quote:
And your corollary is only meaningful if your opponents are paying attention. If they're like me, they've enough to think about already.

Absolutely! That's partly why I wanted to share it rather than keep it to myself

Quote:
Good post about a great and underappreciated game. (I've never seen anyone playing it outside of my game group, but we all really enjoy it.)

It gets a fair amount of play at London on Board and also with my group in Bristol. I think it's a wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:

Or, another way of putting it is that your bets should (in theory) add up to 24.

Yes, that's another thing I've been paying more attention to recently. Last time I played, I didn't get a single negative chip in the whole game, so I must be doing something right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your bets should only add up to 24 if you aren't trying to induce other people to do things.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example? But yeah, it's only by the end of the round you want to end up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to try and pass a single color of cards to make this card tracking easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett J. Gilbert
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time — Funforge / Passport Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Last time I played, I didn't get a single negative chip in the whole game, so I must be doing something right

Bravo, Martin!

Meanwhile, I am only tangentially reminded of that line from The Hitchhiker's Guide:

"It startled him even more when, just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness, he got lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had finally realized that the one thing they really couldn't stand was a smart ass."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.