Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Hungerkamp
Germany
Bocholt
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

i played the Gondor scenario about ten times now and I managed it only once to capture Minas Tirith. It was about incredible dice luck in between.

In every game, the Gondor Player chooses to defend the outposts Cair Andros and Osgiliath till the last man standing. It seems to be far the best strategy for him.

Is threre any possible way to win with the Shadow on average luck? I'm desperate. I want to throw the game away after each game as the Shadow player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Long
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
You've played the Gondor scenario more than me, it seems, so perhaps you're better placed to give advice than I. I definitely agree that for beginning Shadow players, the Gondor scenario is extremely tough (I have a theory to this effect for the Shadow player in both scenarios actually). Getting across the river seems to be a major challenge for sure, which is why I think it must be a major priority.

I have a recent session report where I describe the 'Osgiliath One-Punch.' I was thinking of writing it up in more detail in another article, but basically the idea is to bust through Osgiliath on your second die of the game. The key is to pick Position 3 on the very first turn. The orcs go where they have to and the Troll goes in Minas Morgul, as well as all 3 leadership. Your first die, you use your one guaranteed sword to move 4 armies, and with your second die (army or character), the Minas Morgul army attacks. The maximum possible Osgiliath defense (barring cards) is 4 troops and a leader. You have 5 troops, 2 of which are mighty Trolls, and 3 leaders. They've got the river, but it should still be a sweep, especially if your opening combat card is any good. And if you really need them, you have Nazgul for Winged Terror (not that that ability ever works, so I don't recommend it...).

If you're really lucky, you can even do it on the first die...

I've found this works very well for getting the crucial foothold on the other side of the river. Once you've done that, you can flank Cair Andros from both sides and it will fall too. Minas Tirith will still not be easy-going, but then nothing worth doing is, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to hit either Cair Andros or West Osgiliath with your third or fourth action die on turn 1. The FP player cannot adequetly man both forward defenses if you attack on turn 1. If you get there fast enough, he will only have 2-3 units defending. Cair Andros takes a lot of FP action dice to man properly. Once you take one of these river crossings, take position 3 for the rest of the game, position the 4 free units to your front line and use those character dice to do lots of marching.

For taking Minas Tirith, position your armies in the Pelennor Fields, build 4 or 5 trebuchets, take down the gate, maybe soften up the defenders inside with a vew volleys, then storm it. If Aragorn enters play before this happens, you're doomed. You can manage to pull it off with Theoden/Eomer entering the fray, but you need to make sure you have your right flank strongly defended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.