Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are still trying to make hotel arrangements for BGG.CON 2014, you have a few options.

d10-1 First, see if the Hyatt Regency is still sold out:
https://resweb.passkey.com/go/BoardGameGeek2014

d10-2 Though the Hyatt Regency is currently "sold out", you can try to get an unneeded reservation transferred to you here:
BGG.CON 2014 HyattDFW Reservation Transfers

d10-3 You can peruse the offerings available here:
Official 2014 Roommate request thread

And we have two overflow blocks setup:

d10-4 Hyatt Place Grapevine
The Hyatt Place is matching the convention block rate of $115/night + tax.
The Hyatt Place offers complimentary hot breakfast and wifi.
All rooms at the Hyatt Place include cozy corner sectional seating area and refrigerator.
The Hyatt Place provides complimentary DFW Airport shuttle. Please have your guests call the hotel directly at 972-691-1199 upon landing and collection their luggage. We will ask for gate and terminal number and ask them to meet the van at the lower level for ground transportation. We return to DFW on request every ½ hour.

"The Hyatt Place will run a scheduled shuttle to the Hyatt Regency 2 times a day during peak conference times. We will pre-schedule with BoardGameGeek and let the guests know at check-in."

Also worth noting is that tickets for the Grapevine Shuttle will again be available complimentary at the convention registration desk and the Hyatt Place is near stops "F" and "G".

Here's how to book:
You can call the Hyatt Place reservations directly at 972-691-1199, press "3" and request the "BoardGameGeek" group rate. For online reservations you can visit the website at
www.hyattplacedallasgrapevine.com in the space for CORPORATE or GROUP code use code G-GAME to book the rate.

d10-5 Holiday Inn Express & Suites
The Holiday Inn Express is matching the convention block rate of $115/night + tax.
The Holiday Inn Express offers complimentary hot breakfast and wifi.
Most rooms (80%+) at the Holiday Inn Express include microwave and refrigerator.
The Holiday Inn Express provides complimentary DFW Airport shuttle. Please have your guests call the hotel directly at 817-442-5919 to be picked up from a terminal or the Hyatt Regency. The shuttle will return to DFW/Regency on request every ½ hour.

Also worth noting is that tickets for the Grapevine Shuttle will again be available complimentary at the convention registration desk and the Holiday Inn Express is near stop "K".

Here's how to book:
You can call the Holiday Inn Express reservations directly at 817-442-5919 and request the "BoardGameGeek" group rate. For online reservations you can visit the website at
http://www.hiexpress.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=ex&local... in the space for GROUP code use code "BGG" to book the rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff. Do you know if the Hyatt Regency would pick up people at the airport even if they don't have a room there? What I was thinking of is to take the airport shuttle from the Hyatt Place Grapevine to the airport and then take the Hyatt Regency shuttle to the Regency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Thanks Jeff. Do you know if the Hyatt Regency would pick up people at the airport even if they don't have a room there? What I was thinking of is to take the airport shuttle from the Hyatt Place Grapevine to the airport and then take the Hyatt Regency shuttle to the Regency.

Hey Jennifer,
I've never known a major airport hotel with a shuttle that asked for your room number or name...just pick up the courtesy phone in the terminal and ask them when they next one will be "coming around to terminal x". Some hotels run their buses on a set schedule and fall back to 'on demand' during slow times, a few hotels will run 'on demand all the time'.

It seems like it would be just as easy to use the Grapevine Shuttle (complimentary by virtue of BGG registration) since the "F" stop is about 3 blocks away (across the street, through the parking lot of the mall). Red, Yellow, Green lines are scheduled there basically 10am-10pm. Use google maps to zoom in on the south entrance, you can see where the sidewalk is painted like yardline markers and there is a big wireframe football sculpture...that's where the bus stops at the mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GBCooper wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Hey Jennifer,
I've never known a major airport hotel with a shuttle that asked for your room number or name...just pick up the courtesy phone in the terminal and ask them when they next one will be "coming around to terminal x". Some hotels run their buses on a set schedule and fall back to 'on demand' during slow times, a few hotels will run 'on demand all the time'.

It seems like it would be just as easy to use the Grapevine Shuttle (complimentary by virtue of BGG registration) since the "F" stop is about 3 blocks away (across the street, through the parking lot of the mall). Red, Yellow, Green lines are scheduled there basically 10am-10pm. Use google maps to zoom in on the south entrance, you can see where the sidewalk is painted like yardline markers and there is a big wireframe football sculpture...that's where the bus stops at the mall.

Thanks Gary. Problem is I don't understand that shuttle map at all. How exactly would I get from the Hyatt Grapevine to the Hyatt Regency?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you would have to walk to Stop E or Stop F, and ride the Red Line to Stop H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Jennifer, the Regency is a very short walk from Terminal C. Just take whatever hotel shuttle to Terminal C, and either navigate visually, or follow the signs. No need for a second shuttle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to switch my reservation over to the Hyatt Place Grapevine!
Sometimes a nice complimentary hot breakfast is just what you need.

...yes, I'll offer up my block if I decide to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with the Grand Hyatt right across the street? Are they too good for BGG'ers? yuk arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Your BLOCK? How many rooms did you reserve?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
What's wrong with the Grand Hyatt right across the street? Are they too good for BGG'ers? yuk arrrh

I wanted to setup a block at the Grand Hyatt, and I've heard some of you already have reservations there. But when they couldn't do any better than $299/night as a block rate I felt it wasn't worth pursuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Your BLOCK? How many rooms did you reserve?

Whoops!!!

My room! lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Apocryphile wrote:

I wanted to setup a block at the Grand Hyatt, and I've heard some of you already have reservations there. But when they couldn't do any better than $299/night as a block rate I felt it wasn't worth pursuing.

Really? I got a discount on my rate and got it for $140/night, but on their site, even their daily rate is only $199/night (only meaning as compared to $299).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Shortz
United States
Fall City
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you're looking at the correct Hyatt? I see $289 as the regular rate and $245 as the best rate I could find (AAA). These are the rates for the other Hyatt at the airport: the Grand Hyatt DFW. There are a ton of Hyatts in Dallas; is it possible you booked at one outside the airport? If not, can you let everyone know where you found rates that good for the Grand Hyatt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate The Great
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hello all i would love to stay in the main hotel if anyone decides to cancel please let me know.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pellegrini
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Both me and the wife use this account.
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:

The Hyatt Place provides complimentary DFW Airport shuttle. Please have your guests call the hotel directly at 972-691-1199 upon landing and collection their luggage. We will ask for gate and terminal number and ask them to meet the van at the lower level for ground transportation. We return to DFW on request every ½ hour.

I'd strongly discourage anyone who has an alternative from staying at the Hyatt Place Grapevine. The shuttle service was egregiously bad last year. They claimed it ran hourly, and that was not even close to true. It was almost always late, and very often had insufficient capacity for the number of people who were using it. It was not uncommon for people to wait 2 hours (or more) for rides to and from the Grapevine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
DrMark wrote:
I'd strongly discourage anyone who has an alternative from staying at the Hyatt Place Grapevine. The shuttle service was egregiously bad last year. They claimed it ran hourly, and that was not even close to true. It was almost always late, and very often had insufficient capacity for the number of people who were using it. It was not uncommon for people to wait 2 hours (or more) for rides to and from the Grapevine.

Wow! Anyone else have similar experiences? If that's the case, I'll cancel my BGG Con registration right now before the 30 days are up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeshortz wrote:
Are you sure you're looking at the correct Hyatt? I see $289 as the regular rate and $245 as the best rate I could find (AAA). These are the rates for the other Hyatt at the airport: the Grand Hyatt DFW. There are a ton of Hyatts in Dallas; is it possible you booked at one outside the airport? If not, can you let everyone know where you found rates that good for the Grand Hyatt?

http://granddfw.hyatt.com/hyatt/reservations/roomsAndRates.j...

This is where I got my rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Shortz
United States
Fall City
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you book a room for over a week? I see a nightly rate of $169, booking Saturday the 15th through Sunday the 23rd, and a rate of $259 booking Sunday the 16th to Sunday the 23rd.

But booking Tuesday the 18th to Sunday the 23rd, it's $289/night.

Most folks aren't looking to get a room for a week/before the Con starts, and the per night savings run out pretty quickly paying for 3-4 extra nights. HOWEVER, if you are looking for a room for Tuesay through Sunday:
staying Tuesday through Sunday costs 1445 (@289/night)
staying Saturday to the next Sunday costs 1352 (@169/night)
but staying Sunday to Sunday costs 1813 (@259/night) - quite a bit more.

Therefore, your cheapest option if you were planning on checking in on Tuesday or earlier (without any special deals) at the Grand Hyatt is to pay for an eight-night stay @169/night. If you were only looking for a hotel for Wednesday or later, the 8-night special will be more expensive overall.

I now feel like I have done far too much math, seeing as I have a room at the Con hotel and this is all moot for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeshortz wrote:
Did you book a room for over a week? I see a nightly rate of $169, booking Saturday the 15th through Sunday the 23rd, and a rate of $259 booking Sunday the 16th to Sunday the 23rd.

But booking Tuesday the 18th to Sunday the 23rd, it's $289/night.

Most folks aren't looking to get a room for a week/before the Con starts, and the per night savings run out pretty quickly paying for 3-4 extra nights. HOWEVER, if you are looking for a room for Tuesay through Sunday:
staying Tuesday through Sunday costs 1445 (@289/night)
staying Saturday to the next Sunday costs 1352 (@169/night)
but staying Sunday to Sunday costs 1813 (@259/night) - quite a bit more.

Therefore, your cheapest option if you were planning on checking in on Tuesday or earlier (without any special deals) at the Grand Hyatt is to pay for an eight-night stay @169/night. If you were only looking for a hotel for Wednesday or later, the 8-night special will be more expensive overall.

I now feel like I have done far too much math, seeing as I have a room at the Con hotel and this is all moot for me.

OK, I see the deal now. I booked Friday the 21st through Sunday the 23rd at the Grand Hyatt, and I got the $140/night deal on those nights ($189-$199/night on those nights civilians). I live fairly close by and had booked for myself at the conference hotel for earlier in the week only. I was going to go home Friday and Saturday night, but when my wife decided she wanted to go for a couple days too, I had to book at the Grand Hyatt since the conference hotel was sold out for those nights. I only needed Friday and Saturday, so I got the deal on those nights.

It looks like you can still book for Friday and Saturday night at the Grand Hyatt for $189/night rate. If you try to book for earlier in the week, the price goes up substantially.

So, maybe book Friday and Saturday night at the Grand Hyatt and look for something a little less pricey nearby for the weeknights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrMark wrote:

It was not uncommon for people to wait 2 hours (or more) for rides to and from the Grapevine.

That sucks yuk

It does sound like from Jeff's post that someone made management aware of last year's problems and they are trying to rectify the issue with an additional 2 buses during peak hours of the con. Jeff seems to be leaving nothing to chance and this year there is the option of the Holiday Inn Express however they don't post anything about their shuttle schedule/availability times.

That said, why wait 2 hours when the Grapevine shuttle is 5 blocks away and runs hourly 10am-10pm?

Seems to me the thing to do is wait till exactly xx:00 and if the Hyatt Place shuttle bus is not present and empty, doubletime over to stop F at the Mall for the xx:09 Grapevine Visitor's shuttle. Same thing for the Holiday Inn Express, if their bus is not empty and present at xx:05, walk the 1.5 blocks over to stop G near Uncle Bucks for the xx:13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pellegrini
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Both me and the wife use this account.
mbmbmbmbmb
GBCooper wrote:

It does sound like from Jeff's post that someone made management aware of last year's problems and they are trying to rectify the issue with an additional 2 buses during peak hours of the con. Jeff seems to be leaving nothing to chance

It was obvious last year that the hotels were badly under-provisioned for transport. After all the problems that occurred, I do sincerely hope someone on the BGG staff had a word with the hotel management about it.

The transport issues were, by far, my biggest knock against the con. It took a lot of sweet talking to convince my wife to go back again this year. And we made it a point to book the main hotel

GBCooper wrote:

That said, why wait 2 hours when the Grapevine shuttle is 5 blocks away and runs hourly 10am-10pm?

Speaking only for myself, I didn't know it existed last year. I expect that's true for most con-goers who don't live in Dallas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Shortz
United States
Fall City
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery solved! It never occurred to me that the hotel would be cheaper the nights of the Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura B
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
What shuttle service will be running between the overflow hotels and the Regency? Just the Grapevine Shuttle?

Just trying to figure out logistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
galchan wrote:
What shuttle service will be running between the overflow hotels and the Regency? Just the Grapevine Shuttle?

Just trying to figure out logistics.

From Jeff's initial post it appears that:
1) Hyatt Place
They will have a dedicated shuttle to/from the BGGCon 2x a day...times to be announced/provided at checkin.

DFW Shuttle available every 1/2 hour on request (don't know if this option will drop you at the Regency...worse case scenario: it can drop/pick you up at Terminal C, Gates 26-39 and then you can cross the parking deck from there to the Regency).

2) Holiday Inn Express
DFW/Regency Shuttle available every 1/2 hour on request

3) Grapevine Shuttle
Both hotels are within 2-5 blocks of Grapevine Shuttle stops (free passes available when you register at the BGGCon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Turnbaugh
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just cancelled my reservation at the Hyatt Regency under the BGG con price. So there should be a double queen room available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.