flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and Gentlemen,

recently I have noticed an intriguing question BITE/BITW related:

Tanks and Air needs HQs infantry not. Why?

Anybody can answer this?

ALL THE BEST

emanuele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ULTIMO wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Anybody can answer this?

ALL THE BEST

emanuele

LOL OMG.... a serious question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Infantry drink water not fuel?
Infantry march on their stomachs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

This. For me it simulates the fuel consumption of armor and air units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flupperdeflup wrote:
hipshot wrote:

This. For me it simulates the fuel consumption of armor and air units.

Ok, I see your point...

this should be obvious if you live on this planet, but is it written in the rules manual?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilots and tank commanders have a tendency to be headstrong and somewhat incapable of understanding instructions and so need to be constantly monitored and motivated by threats of taking away their toys. Infantry tend to be more of a mob mentality which is okay because once aimed in particular direction they tend to just go that way, unless distracted by alcohol or women.

So HQs are directly involved in "coordinating" the efforts of the tank leaders and pilots to keep them reminded of what to do and occasionally reminding the infantry that the enemy is "that way".

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Netherlands
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ULTIMO wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Anybody can answer this?

ALL THE BEST

emanuele

This is a good example when comparing gameplay between this game and East/West Front II. HQs had to be activated to move and attack (in full supply) for all units. If any unit was in range (limited to the steps of the HQ) activation was possible, otherwise they couldn't move at all. In addition, playing EF II during the first russian winter paying for these HQ was increased with 50%. I think it is not a question why infantry should not be actived by a HQ rather why would a HQ should have unlimited activation in a certain radius.
Not even mentioning the option of limited supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith hatch

Texas
msg tools
mb
Raoul,

I don't think that either of these HQ approaches is any better than the other.

BitE, etc. is using the HQ's to represent the fuel reserves and extra 3C personnel necessary to effectively prosecute an offensive with mech and aircraft. Infantry and artillery on the move also have a greater need for the transportation assets (and their coordination) of their bulk requirements such as food, ammo, medical, etc., which HQ's also represent.

Eurofront chooses to simplify the issue by using HQ's to control and supply all kinds of troops within a set radius, while BitE chooses it's method of simplification in only focusing on the needs of the more dynamic troop types. Neither is any better than the other, and thank heavens they are both simplified as most of us would rather pretend to be generals rather than quartermasters.

Of more interest is the realism of the shrinking radii, blitzing options in Eurofront, and 2 week turns versus monthly, but enough for now.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Rwargamer wrote:
ULTIMO wrote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Anybody can answer this?

ALL THE BEST

emanuele

This is a good example when comparing gameplay between this game and East/West Front II. HQs had to be activated to move and attack (in full supply) for all units. If any unit was in range (limited to the steps of the HQ) activation was possible, otherwise they couldn't move at all. In addition, playing EF II during the first russian winter paying for these HQ was increased with 50%. I think it is not a question why infantry should not be actived by a HQ rather why would a HQ should have unlimited activation in a certain radius.
Not even mentioning the option of limited supply.

hQ and Fuel tie together the more complex operations of Mech and air. Lets just look at air.

Inf units had simpler (relatively) requriements. So their is 'planning' built into the unit. There were of course many more HQ units in real life. but let us not clutter the board with un needed elements. So your Infantry can move freely with out 'ANOTHER' HQ on the board - it would be a ARMY HQ in any case not a XXX level like the Tank HQ.

the Panzer HQ's show how you must concentrate force - 'Schwerpunkt', and ensure supply is used wisely, and plan to put Pzrs in Reserve or Not, do exploit or not, attack or not .... nearly EVERY substantial East Front game imposes use restrictions, command and control limits on Tank Armies in a HISTORICAL WARGAME.
No Retreat! The Russian Front,The Russian Campaign,The Dark Valley,Hitler Turns East,Fire in the East

EFII is not historical I dont think from my groups play of it, and you wont get a historical result, or effect over the course of a war. The Russians can stop the Germans almost at the border.

So while there are different mechanics and rules to create an effect to cause a certain result, BitE choose what I think to be a more historically accurate AND Richer playing approach as you MUST CHOOSE wisely, plan ahead, and think about what is going on across the board in relation to your goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before another flame war starts, which I don't like, maybe opening this thread was my main personal fault, and you guys should not feel too much involved.

Everybody plays the games he likes.

As an Eastern Front addicted, I love all of them and spend much time at watching other games and reading rules manuals. Thus, I only rate and comment a game after I have studied the rules manual and played the game, and this is my personal home rule.

I can help, but I can not stop someone to put the cat in the microwave.

ALL THE BEST

emanuele

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
No Flames just an opinion after play of both games and how I see the relationship of HQ and Panzer.
Every one have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.