Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there we were. Wanting to play a quicker game than a drawn out battle of power plants or of suburb construction. We pulled out the big guns. It was time to recruit some heroes of Legendary proportions.

...I apologize for that.

Anyway, the players were the usual suspects, Myself, My fiancee Julie, and our friend MW. After many times using a randomizer and playing Legendary we'd gotten the same couple of heroes, so the rules on this going in were "Please no more Storm or Deadpool?"

Our setup was:

Heroes: Cyclops, Emma Frost, Nick Fury, Rogue, and Spider-Man (which led to us all repeatedly saying "Shpidaman" over and over...and over).

Scheme: The Midtown Bank Robbery! (Which if you're unfamiliar means that for every scheme twist, if there's a villain in the bank, they get two bystanders and regardless you play the next villain card). This may not seem like a big issue, bystanders are points, right?! Well, in this case, each bystander gives the villain a +1 claw/strength.

Our Villain Lineup: Mastermind was Magneto, who makes you discard cards if you don't have an X-Man hero in hand (luckily we had plenty of X-Men) and he was accompanied by the Brotherhood, Hydra, Radiation, and the Savage Land Mutates. Also, there was a Skrull that got shuffled into Hydra by mistake...so that led to an interesting surprise attack later on.

My overall strategy was to get Emma Frost cards to allow me to draw extra cards (and it helped she was an X-Men character for the master strikes and the brotherhood that required it) and then use Cyclops (who is typically powerful but forces you to discard cards to play him). I was hoping the two would synergize well, and they both happened to be X-Men heroes...and also I love X-Men in general, so I always use an excuse to get them because, well, it's fun for me. And games are fun.

Julie's overall strategy was to acquire many Shpidaman cards and use his ability to keep pulling cheap cards (that she tried to get each time they were out) and to hopefully have some fodder for the few Cyclops cards she was able to buy. Pretty nice strategy. I probably would have considered doing something similar if I liked Shpidaman more...but no matter, I thought my X heroes could handle that!

MW seemed to be going for Nick Fury and upgrading his SHIELD people. He also started to drift toward using Rogue to imitate that effect and weed out his deck of SHIELD low level guys in order to bring in the SHIELD Officer (who we always refer to as some M- name, or occasionally Aunt Robin. My personal favorite of last night was Mariah Carey).
Now this game was particularly interesting because we each had a distinct strategy utilizing all the cards...now this probably sounds like no big deal to you, but to us we end up going for the same thing, or some hero gets thrown to the side or something similar.
As we flipped villain cards we were lucky...or unlucky...enough to pull the heavy hitters of each faction quickly, and then bystanders immediately after. We had villains in the line that were actually more powerful than Magneto was with the help of their bystanders. As a group, we worked each turn to at least take -something- out if we could to prevent escapes, since if enough bystanders escape we would all lose the game.

As we were maintaining the villain track and building our decks happily, MW made an interesting comment that "Hey, the villain deck is running low...maybe we need to focus on Magneto." With that, we all noticed he was in fact right. Immediately we all turned our attention to finishing off the Mastermind, but MW had such a well-oiled machine going (having the rare Nick Fury card and many rogues with him) that he was able to pull off some ridiculously high numbers. He was able to hit Magneto on the turn he brought this up. Then Julie hit him. I thought I'd get a chance but...no, my cards' strength was just lacking. On MW's next turn, he of course drew the rare Nick Fury (Pure Fury that allows you to defeat any villain/mastermind whose attack power is less than the number of shield heroes KO'd) and there were so many KO'd SHIELD people...so...many.

In one fell swoop he finished off Magneto (who needed 2 more hits) and won the game handily.

Overall, it was a solid session. We all got to try out some heroes and combinations that we hadn't used much. Though it may go without saying, if you do own/play this game and tend to see some of the same heroes a lot, definitely try some new combinations to see what other strategies might exist. It's really enjoyable to try and piece together how the heroes can synergize each other, and of course beating up a villain is always a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Mikic
msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought the nick fury card could only KO one that was less then the number of shield cards in the discard?

If that isn't the case I have been playing him wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sainoq wrote:
I thought the nick fury card could only KO one that was less then the number of shield cards in the discard?

If that isn't the case I have been playing him wrong

I was using Fury this evening. I think it's KO'ed....

-rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.