Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at the stage where I would like to play my prototype. Sadly my game has more than 200 cards (this number could significantly drop after playing it a few times and fine tuning).

I have my cards made in a card program.

I would like to print all of my cards out to play them. I will be printing on regular Letter sized printer paper. Printing is no problem, it's the cutting part that's the road block (I've been procrastinating on this for a while). Last time I tried to use a paper cutter on regular print paper, it mangled it. What's the best way to cut a bunch of paper? So I can quickly cut out a ton of cards.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Clark
Scotland
Aberdeen
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He he, i had this trouble a while back. What i did was get a cutting board, steel ruler and craft knife from a hobby shop. Place the pages down 5 at a time and firmly cut using the ruler as a guide. It will be done in no time at all!

Also buy some card sleeves so you don't even have to be that accurate while cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.amazon.com/Guillotine-Capacity-Commercial-Photoco...

This is what I use... It will cut a whole ream (500 sheets) of paper at once...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind your cards being 2 1/2 x 3, microperforated business cards is much more convenient.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/683177/Avery-Inkjet-Mi...

You can tear them quickly and sleeve them if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who quite regularly cuts out tons of cards (my prototype has about 1500 cards between various pieces that obviously won't all be the same product) and regularly tests and updates them, I have to admit, I've never beaten scissors. I've tried various cutters, but they never come out cleanly cut enough for my satisfaction. So I just do it while we watch TV. I'd say the cutting is probably less work than finding and replacing the old cards, taking them out of their sleeves, and resleeving.

Once you do it enough, you'll get it done pretty quickly, and at least I find the task fairly pleasant/comforting. It is the feeling of progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

It's remarkable how useful a band saw is once you own one.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
baza26b wrote:
He he, i had this trouble a while back. What i did was get a cutting board, steel ruler and craft knife from a hobby shop. Place the pages down 5 at a time and firmly cut using the ruler as a guide. It will be done in no time at all!

Also buy some card sleeves so you don't even have to be that accurate while cutting.

This is exactly what I did with Nightfall. To help hold the pages in place while cutting I also staple the pages around the edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
As someone who quite regularly cuts out tons of cards (my prototype has about 1500 cards between various pieces that obviously won't all be the same product) and regularly tests and updates them, I have to admit, I've never beaten scissors. I've tried various cutters, but they never come out cleanly cut enough for my satisfaction. So I just do it while we watch TV. I'd say the cutting is probably less work than finding and replacing the old cards, taking them out of their sleeves, and resleeving.

Once you do it enough, you'll get it done pretty quickly, and at least I find the task fairly pleasant/comforting. It is the feeling of progress!

I use a good pair of scissors and in about 30 minutes I have a done around 120 cards. As long as there is a line to cut along is it nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the awesome replies.

I think I might try the cutting board, steel ruler and exacto knife. That sounds like it should be a cheap set up.

However for those using scissors, is there a specific type of scissors to do it? I tried multiple sheets with my current scissors, and the paper just bends and gets stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
Thank you so much for the awesome replies.

I think I might try the cutting board, steel ruler and exacto knife. That sounds like it should be a cheap set up.

However for those using scissors, is there a specific type of scissors to do it? I tried multiple sheets with my current scissors, and the paper just bends and gets stuck.

I just watch a movie to kill time, and cut one page of card stock at a time. I don't sleeve mine.
I used quickcards once, and the paper is already perforated and very easy to cut out (push out), but it is expensive for the pages and spray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Washburn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a good pair of scissors and cut one sheet at a time. It does not take me that long and I have over 300 cards in a base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I was introduced to the technique I now use, I've never looked back.

- Print your cards, making sure they have shared cut lines to minimize your work.
- Take 8+ pieces of paper (depending on thickness), and staple them together in all 4 corners.
- Use hobby knife and steel ruler to cut, without ever cutting all the way to the edges.

From start to finish I literally cut 50 cards in 5 minutes. Moreover they are also some of the most uniform cards I've ever cut.

Regards
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kardkutter!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/765941/kardkutter-review-and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
You guys are awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baza26b wrote:

I use a rotary cutter ... the kind you might find at fabric stores. Easier to make long straight cuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
A guillotine cutter would work well.

I haven't had good experience cutting cards with a guillotine. For one thing, I'd lose the guidelines I have on the outer border of the sheet, which forces me to rely on a ruler.

I guess it depends on how your cards are laid out, and whether you draw all the card borders out as a guideline, or if you just use little tick marks on the outside.

herogamer wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Guillotine-Capacity-Commercial-Photoco...

This is what I use... It will cut a whole ream (500 sheets) of paper at once...

Wow. 500x9 is 4500 cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am, cutting out thin paper tiles/chits. Same technique I use for cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Brown
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminate my cards, then use a roller cutter. They turn out pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's not perfect, but I print on card stock (purchased at Walmart) and cut each sheet individually with a pair of scissors. I'm just at prototype/playtest stage, so it's not like I need perfection.

Besides, it gives me the opportunity to see each individual card and identify any defects - misprints, typos, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Strickland
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to wait about a week or so, Print & Play does an amazing job, perfect cuts and they have templates you can download and lay out your cards on. They are very reasonable and the quality of print and card stock is outstanding for what you pay. I think it's somewhere around $2 per sheet (which fits 18 cards), front and back color printing on glossy or matted stock with rounded edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My card game we designed had close to 200 cards. My wife has this cutting board I used then cut the corners on the cards. With me it was 100 cards then as time went on added a page of cards so I didn't cut 200 at 1 time. It took sometime but not to bad. I sleeved the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Cue
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I had to cut 108 cards for my prototype. I used a cutter and traced through two perfectly cut paper.

As for doing cards into sleeves (in case you need it) Here's what you can do:

1. Take an old playing card deck
2. Put a plastic sleeve among all of them.
3. Cut out your cards in rectangles, and place them at the front face of the card.

This really helps speed things up. You can quickly add/remove cards, and you can even reuse the old playing card deck and sleeves with your future prototypes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.