Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd recommend playing with what you've got. There is plenty of variety and tons of choices. How many players? Is it a personal game night, or like a 50 person event? That may change my opinion...

But honestly assuming it's a group of people you know/not a huge number, play with what you've got, teach them the games, see what you/everyone likes playing together and then use those tastes to seek other games when you're ready to add some more.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
most reasonable people would be satisfied with that list. if you have some heavy gamers they may feel the need to bring their own favorites, but I wouldn't go out of my way to appease them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overwhelm them. One thing I found was that we used to introduce peopleto one or more new games every time they came over. A lot of people, eespecially new gamers like to have the chance to replay games so they can improve and enjoy the playing, not only the learning part. Having a smaller list of games can be a good thing. Plus as the group grows, they can branch off and teach others the games you've already taught them. That can't reallyhhappen if they only play a game once.

Good list of games too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jospanther wrote:

But honestly assuming it's a group of people you know/not a huge number, play with what you've got, teach them the games, see what you/everyone likes playing together and then use those tastes to seek other games when you're ready to add some more.

+1 to that. It would be a shame if say you ran out and got a handful of say worker placement games only to find out no one else likes them, or something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Taillefer
Canada
La Broquerie West
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am voting for Tikal as a good starting point! It's the first boardgame I bought (simply because of the box art!) and it's the game that got me hooked on the hobby. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7rigg3r wrote:
Thanks for the tips, the list is what I have in my collection so far. I wouldn't dare drop all that on a new gamer. What would you suggest be a good starting game to ease them in with but to also peak their interest?

King of Tokyo: Do this to loosen everyone up and it's silly and fun, but still challenging, has some player interaction, but it's a simple light game that's just really fun and dazzling to newcomers.

Legendary: Do this if you have people that are interested in Marvel/Saw the Avengers and you can show them the concept of cooperative (or even semi-cooperative) games, as well as the idea of deckbuilding, which may be unlike what they've seen.

Settlers: This is a classic for a reason, it's a way to introduce the idea of eurogaming and everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it, even my mother. EVEN. MY. MOTHER.

Ticket to Ride: Many people use this game as a gateway...I personally don't enjoy it, but I seem to be in a minority there. That being said, many people like it, even my mother. EVEN. MY. MOTHER.

Those are the four I'd be looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7rigg3r wrote:
What would you suggest be a good starting game to ease them in with but to also peak their interest?

Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers is still a reliable introduction to modern gaming. I've been trying to get a friend of mine into gaming and after going through a number of games (Stone Age and others) we decided to play Settlers...and that is all that he wants to play now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a game group of mostly non/casual gamers of about 6-10 people. Here are our go to games:

- The Resistance: Avalon
- Bang! The Dice Game
- Say Anything
- Wits and Wagers
- Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son of Burrito Bean III
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably leave out munchkin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jospanther wrote:
7rigg3r wrote:
Thanks for the tips, the list is what I have in my collection so far. I wouldn't dare drop all that on a new gamer. What would you suggest be a good starting game to ease them in with but to also peak their interest?

King of Tokyo: Do this to loosen everyone up and it's silly and fun, but still challenging, has some player interaction, but it's a simple light game that's just really fun and dazzling to newcomers.

Legendary: Do this if you have people that are interested in Marvel/Saw the Avengers and you can show them the concept of cooperative (or even semi-cooperative) games, as well as the idea of deckbuilding, which may be unlike what they've seen.

Settlers: This is a classic for a reason, it's a way to introduce the idea of eurogaming and everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it, even my mother. EVEN. MY. MOTHER.

Ticket to Ride: Many people use this game as a gateway...I personally don't enjoy it, but I seem to be in a minority there. That being said, many people like it, even my mother. EVEN. MY. MOTHER.

Those are the four I'd be looking at.

You can't predict what people will and won't like. I would personally ignore anyone that said not to include games - just don't force games on people; and with newbies and casuals, don't force people to continue playing a game that noone is enjoying, or that is dragging on. People can work out on their own which games they like or dislike.

I highly recommend both KoT and Ticket To Ride, and to a lesser extent (depending on how quickly people play - there have been a few instances in our newbie group of this dragging on) Settlers of Catan. Deckbuilders also work surprisingly well with newbies, though I haven't played Legendary.

Small World (if you don't mind explaining 20x per person how many fighters they need to take over each space), Takenoko and Pirate's Cove are also great introductory games.

I'd perhaps round out your collection with a few shorter/filler games, e.g. No Thanks!, 6 nimmt!, or Tsuro, particularly if you're expecting to have multiple games going at once, or people arriving/leaving at different times. This isn't strictly necessary though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.