Hide
3 Posts

Sword of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about empty cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike H
msg tools
Played my first game of SoR and have been sifting through the rules, determining what was done correctly or incorrectly and I've come up with one question that I'm not 100% confident I understand how to handle correctly.

When an enemy army moves into a fortified city loyal to an enemy power but with no CUs in it (it and the zone are both empty)?

I believe that if the enemy army wishes to take control of the city, they must siege and conquer the city, which allows them to put their own level 1 loyalty marker on the city. But I believe they can also spend an operations card to reduce the loyalty of the city to 0, at which point I believe it becomes an independent city? If I grok the rules correctly, the only way to actually take possession of a city is to (1) win a siege or (2) win a battle in the zone or adjacent to the zone and reduce the loyalty of the city using the "political fallout" influence.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Thanks!

-QF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot spend OPS to *reduce* loyalty (7.1, 7.3.1).

If you win a battle *anywhere* against the controlling power and thus reduce the city's loyalty to 0, it becomes your loyalty 1 city if you already control an adjacent space (7.3.4). It is your political, not military, proximity to the ungarrisoned city that makes it vulnerable.

And, of course, you can win it through siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
msg tools
dirubin wrote:
You cannot spend OPS to *reduce* loyalty (7.1, 7.3.1).

Of course! Not sure why my brain didn't internalize that one. Thanks for reminding me of that.

dirubin wrote:
If you win a battle *anywhere* against the controlling power and thus reduce the city's loyalty to 0, it becomes your loyalty 1 city if you already control an adjacent space (7.3.4). It is your political, not military, proximity to the ungarrisoned city that makes it vulnerable.

Right. Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.