7 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Draco influence across the galactic center? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kester 42
msg tools
mb
In my Eclipse strategy article, I described what I called the "Draco Maneuver" (see link below). I was correctly challenged on doing this for an explore action, but after re-reading the rules, I'm not so sure about the validity of this for an influence action.

This is the Draco Maneuver:
1. Opponent explores their Ring 1 hex, find an ancient (or double) and does not attack this round.
2. Draco player moves an interceptor into the galactic center, where it is pinned and will likely be killed during combat.
3. Draco player uses an influence action to place an influence disc on the opponents Ring 1 hex (with ancients but no player ships) on the other side of the galactic center.

Rules state the following about where you can place an influence disc:
Quote:
to a hex that does not contain an Influence Disc or an enemy Ship and is adjacent to a hex where you have a disc or a Ship

There is no restriction that the ship must not be pinned (which is the case during the explore action, so this cannot be done to explore hexes across the center).

So, the question becomes: are the ancients considered any enemy ship to Draco? The rules imply that ancients are "enemy ships" to other races for attacking/pinning/retreating, but considering that Draco and ancients are either allies, or more likely, just ignore each other, are ancients considered "enemy ship" to Draco? If not, then the "Draco Maneuver" should be a valid play, right?

My strategy article where this topic came up:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1163520/advanced-eclipse...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valid move.

You are right that EXP requires unpinned ship, but INF doesn't.
And as always Draco may influence any hex with ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester 42
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tried this in the iPad app and it worked - was able to influence from a ship pinned by the GCDS.

This is a nice surprise move, even against experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't forget, Ancients will still pin a Draco player, if he tries to move his interceptor from his home system to the Galactic Center, through a ring 1 tile containing an Ancient ship.

Pg 14, in the rules, reads:

If your Ships move into a hex, or out of a hex, containing other players' or Ancient Ships, at least one ship per opposing Ship must stay...

I can't see where is explicitly states that Ancient Ships will not pin Draco ships. Or are we saying that that is implied, because the Ancients and the Draco cannot fight each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the F.A.Q. from 2013:
Q: May the Descendants of Draco have ships in hexes with Ancient ships?
A: Yes. They may move their ships to (and through) the hex freely. Also, if they have an Influence Disc there, they may build new ships in the hex.

It would also be oddly crippling to claim that a racial benefit (not being attacked by Ancients) would be a penalty (since it's impossible for them to destroy Ancients, they'd have to build and sacrifice a ship in every single sector they own with one, just to be able to move through their own territory?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
ATT_Turan wrote:
In the F.A.Q. from 2013:
Q: May the Descendants of Draco have ships in hexes with Ancient ships?
A: Yes. They may move their ships to (and through) the hex freely. Also, if they have an Influence Disc there, they may build new ships in the hex.

It would also be oddly crippling to claim that a racial benefit (not being attacked by Ancients) would be a penalty (since it's impossible for them to destroy Ancients, they'd have to build and sacrifice a ship in every single sector they own with one, just to be able to move through their own territory?).

Ah, thanks for that Seth. Yes, it make perfect sense that the Ancients would not pin Draco ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.