Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Strangest reason you've made a game purchase/added a game to wishlist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was just on Instagram (@kmumansky shameless plug) because someone liked a game picture of mine. So Naturally I check out his pictures and he had a picture of Quantum a game I've never heard of, but his character looks exactly like Michael Jackson....so it's now on my wish list.

What's the weirdest reason you've purchased a game? Because I WILL be buying this game, if only for that reason alone...but need to wait due to the insane weekend of game purchasing I've just had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RBM's box art was what originally drew me to Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games all the time to keep my collection at an odd number. Same goes with any other collections I have. ( video game, PEZ, character promotional glasses, poker chips.) My OCD will NOT let me mess with even numbers, including the volume on the radio and such. Always odd.

Quick edit. I know my user name is 76 but I can't help what year I was born and as such anything I can't control that is even such as arms legs fingers and toes I tend to forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine was giving me a very quick run through of a game he'd just bought when suddenly his pet unicorn started hammering down my front door... I sent my bouncer out to have a quiet word but he punched it in the nose instead... and that's why I bought Duel of Ages II...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
checkrazor76 wrote:
I buy games all the time to keep my collection at an odd number. Same goes with any other collections I have. ( video game, PEZ, character promotional glasses, poker chips.) My OCD will NOT let me mess with even numbers, including the volume on the radio and such. Always odd.

The problem with that is that in order to maintain an always odd total count, you must invariably increase your count by even numbers. How many evens have you used to maintain the odd? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put Doge on my wantlist because I was amused by it sharing the name of a dog-related internet meme. And then someone offered me a trade for it and I was like, sure, why not.

So now it sits on my shelf and people say "is that really a game about doge?" and I get to explain to them about the Doge of Venice. Haven't actually played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put Star Trek: Expeditions on my wishlist specifically because I wanted NO ONE TO GET IT FOR ME!

I win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum is a pretty cool game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xgamerms999 wrote:
Quantum is a pretty cool game!

I'm gonna have to read up on it. I just cant pass up an opportunity to play a game as MJ. Especially a space game....you know..moonwalk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
checkrazor76 wrote:

The problem with that is that in order to maintain an always odd total count, you must invariably increase your count by even numbers. How many evens have you used to maintain the odd? gulp

Too many to count but thanks for the reminder. I've been looking for a way to balance that my whole adult life. At one point with videogames I was at the point that I would own an odd number buy three and return one before ever going home to keep the odds in check as often as I could. After a few years of this I realized it wasn't helping since I was still going home with an even number. But it did feel good at the time to buy and odd number and return a smaller odd number. But it was way too often to keep up. My collection was around 3500 videogames and too many returns to count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Valentine 2013 I need to meet the free shipping threshold for Amazon so I ordered Jaipur with my gift.

Or at least that is what I told her....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
I should be able to get a good grip on my Elephant when it arrives!
mbmbmbmbmb
My knee jerked - beads of addictive sweat formed on my forehead. My finger clicked around on the mouse and I let it. I blame it on my finger and the mouse - then I wait by the door for the package to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Fiji in a bargain bucket and noticed the game had little shrunken heads counters. Who can refuse shrunken heads? So I bought it. zombie

It is now up there with Kabaleo in that I know the rules and how to play it but I have no idea how to play it! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since yesterday when I found it I've a huge itch to get Ivor the Engine when it's launched next week. A light train game based around a Cartoon that was before my time and I didn't like watching. Sold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
checkrazor76 wrote:

This may be one of my favorite Internet troll posts I've ever seen. I mean this in the best humor possible but this cracked me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rose
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games I've never played just because this guy likes them:
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb

No kidding, and I've yet to be let down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Ice Flow mostly because it has polar bear meeples.

It's not a bad game and it was cheap, but the bear meeples did it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching Calendale's video series on Chariots of Fire, and he mentioned that Samurai included Seppuku. I bought it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
checkrazor76 wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:
checkrazor76 wrote:

Too many to count but thanks for the reminder. I've been looking for a way to balance that my whole adult life. At one point with videogames I was at the point that I would own an odd number buy three and return one before ever going home to keep the odds in check as often as I could. After a few years of this I realized it wasn't helping since I was still going home with an even number. But it did feel good at the time to buy and odd number and return a smaller odd number. But it was way too often to keep up. My collection was around 3500 videogames and too many returns to count.

Why wouldn't you just make two separate purchases of one game each? Or if it bothers you to make two purchases, make three purchases, one game each, simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilPandaPirate wrote:
checkrazor76 wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:
checkrazor76 wrote:

Why wouldn't you just make two separate purchases of one game each? Or if it bothers you to make two purchases, make three purchases, one game each, simultaneously.

Three separate purchases without a return means when I get home and add them to my collection I will have an even number since my number at home is always odd.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gen-Con 2012.

Bought a copy of Thunderstone Advance just to get the very large bag that AEG was giving away with purchases.

Had very little interest in Thunderstone but we just had SO many games to carry.

And no. Didn't end up liking Thunderstone. Gave it to a friend actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunk and online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa Porter

Bellingham
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't back the KickStarter campaign. The game didn't interest me.

But once Cryptozoic Entertainment said that they were going to save the game AND give it to the KickStarter backers for no further cost. I made a promise to myself that I would pick up a copy of The Doom That Came To Atlantic City when it was published, to support this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Josiah
msg tools
I saw a photo of Tzolk'in and thought it looked neat, then I saw THAT IT HAD FREAKING GEARS and bought it off that fact alone. Was not disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm drawn to games with hexagonal tiles. I'm pretty good at not buying everything I see that has them, but they always draw my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.