Popular Tags: [View All]
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Various cards can reduce dice to zero Defense (Dr doom, venom). Can such characters be fielded before being knocked-out or not? This might be important for abilities which take effect on fielding eg Hawkeye, widow, or fir triggering abilities of alreadyfuelded dice eg Johnny storm.

My inclination would be no, characters that would be at zero D cannot be fielded. However some of the threads in this forum imply different interpretations of this situation. Any opinions?

Cheers - Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters don't have a defense to lower until they have been fielded. As there is no 'stack' the character is fielded (triggering any fun tricks) and immediately knocked out even if the fielded ability would knock out the character giving negatives (aka Hawkeye Longbow knocking out Venom).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sure they could be fielded, but then they are immediately KOed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Sure they could be fielded, but then they are immediately KOed.

I agree with this. And also I believe that when you field a character that it's automatically KOed by a card ability it will still trigger his ability or other char abilities (like hawkeye and human torch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cunningham
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that the "when fielded" would be triggered. The interesting question is in what order the two are KOed, if it is Dr Doom, ie the opposing players character since in a tie the active players trigger first, then perhaps Hawkeye doesn't get KOed. I think Wizkid may start to see the value of a stack eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it is now, based on how the rulebook notes KOs it would work like this:

Field Character - When Fielded effect triggers
Character is immediately at 0D and is KOd and sent to the Prep area
Resolve "When Fielded" effect

Since a character is KOd as soon as its D is zero, it would leave play before the effect resolves. This is similar to the end of combat, where characters are KOd after taking damage, but before their "when damaged" effects resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll agree that the intent seems to be to allow for them to be fielded.

I disagree that the KO happens before the effect.

The character is fielded at full strength.
Now two things want to occur: a reduction in D and the 'when fielded'.
Active player first or chooses.

Edit: so in regards to the original question. I think the intent is for dice in the reserve pool to not be affected unless specifically mentioned. So there are no 0D non fielded characters. When they are fielded then they are reduced and would be KO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally that was my thought as well, and I'd love if it did work that way.

If that were the case, if you fielded a 1D storm that rerolled the die that was giving -1D and it rolled energy and left play, would the storm get to stay on the field since the -1 is gone?

While I would like it to work this way, I don't think the rules support it at present. The rulebook states specifically that "While Active" powers take place when the die is fielded. This would say that it "happens" when the die is fielded and is a static effect afterwards.

To support this, a similar situation happens in the attack step. When a character takes damage any "when damaged" effect activates but if it took enough damage it still gets KOd before the effect takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have no idea of the intent because there has been no official correspondance. All the kings rules lawyers can not put this game back together again. The cheese shall flow.

I can not see how any organized play enviroment can exist without a massive amount of clarification.

I say sure...field your 0 def/toughness characters. It is not as if the effect the is causing the reduction was not in play and active first or anything. May the ban hammer be in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.