Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asl [+] asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a tactical-level wargame.

The two titles above have caught my eye.

I haven't played either, but have studied the rules to Conflict of Heroes.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
This is a great place to start:

Pros and Cons--WWII Squad-Based Wargames
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44657/pros-and-cons-ww...

...and this will give you a good idea of what ASL is like (even though it only covers the ASL Starter Kits):

An ASLSK Tutorial (Part 1)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/157922/an-aslsk-tutorial...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game to look at is the Band of Brothers series. It's on the easier end of the difficulty scale along with Conflict of Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear, here we go ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rather play CoH or BoB every day of the week and twice on Sunday over ASL. I think at some point there's complexity for the sheer sake of it and that's what ASL is. Looking at your collection and ratings, I would go CoH first. I think it will offer a nice next step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no huge war gamer, not least becuase I still don't have a proper proper war game (TS, 1775, a Distant Plain and others don't seem to count) so I am looking at one, and I'm pretty sure it'll be CoH Awakening the Bear when I get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I should add that I particularly like the fact that CoH can accommodate up to 4 players. I'm a big fan of multiplayer games.
What hold me back is the lack of love I see for CofH.
On paper, it looks great (I've studied the rules).
But it has nowhere near the following of ASL, M44, CCA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
I should add that I particularly like the fact that CoH can accommodate up to 4 players. I'm a big fan of multiplayer games.
What hold me back is the lack of love I see for CofH.
On paper, it looks great (I've studied the rules).
But it has nowhere near the following of ASL, M44, CCA.

ASL's fan base is hardcore. It is more of a lifestyle than a game really due to the sheer depth of rules the game offers. In terms of mainstream games, it would be similar to Magic. M44 is a decent game, but even after a 6th play were I came to terms with the game, I still think it has been fired in multiple ways. The ease of play and the presentation really made this a huge seller despite being okay as a game. I think there are better gateway games for wargames, but since the presentation is lacking in some way compared to MM4, they are far less mentioned. Yes, I know The Dice Tower just did a Top 5 intro wargames and MM4 was #1 for two of the three reviewers. Whatever. CC:A gets love because it is the first good attempt at historical wargaming with the C&C system and finally gave the system proper depth.

You also have to understand that using chits in a game tends to be an instant way to have a game be less popular. Games in the CoH series still rank rather high considering they are waragmes in the more proper sense versus the C&C system's more pseudo attempt at wargaming. CoH would have been one of the first wargames I bought if Marco's review of BoB:SE hadn't swung me to pick that up first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.