United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/36468537/alexander-vs-p...

I'm really excited about this product. The designers have done a fantastic job bringing these two armies to life in a way that is historically appropriate and also really fun to play, whether against each other or against other Battleground armies.

Thanks in advance for your help in spreading the word and/or ordering product! I'll (naturally) be online a lot during the project so I'll try to respond to your questions quickly.

Thanks and regards,
Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see the series continued. I'm on board.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael lee
United States
vacaville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see the historicals continued. The new unit art looks really good.
Backed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've backed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting -- been interested in BHW for some time.

Just a few questions:

(1) Can you explain why the price point is so high? I mean, as a potential international backers, I'm not seeing great value -- at the 'Foot Companion' level I'd be paying $40USD for a little over 100 cards...? It'd hard to justify that.

(2) The delivery date is listed at Nov 2014. How confident of that are you?

(3) How extensively have these factions been playtested? Can you tell us a bit about your process here?

(4) Also: any chance for improved card art? e.g. as a stretch goal?

Thanks -- and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1. International shipping is always unpleasant for kickstarters but the value of the product is excellent. You can field full armies to cover a table with a starter set and with reinforcements you could cover a floor. The value is definitely in comparison with a miniatures game where an equivalent sized army would cost thousands and require months of painting and modelling.

2. Most of the past factions were released on time; the November date seems reasonable as the faction is fully designed and playtested and only requires printing.

3. The playtesting has been ongoing for several years and although I didn't participate the playtest reports and design notes are all on the publisher website forum to read.

4. I've always found the art to be excellent and the top-down view ideal for the game. No idea if different art is practical; what do you mean by better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
prd1982 wrote:

Just a few questions:

(1) Can you explain why the price point is so high? I mean, as a potential international backers, I'm not seeing great value -- at the 'Foot Companion' level I'd be paying $40USD for a little over 100 cards...? It'd hard to justify that.

(3) How extensively have these factions been playtested? Can you tell us a bit about your process here?

Thanks -- and good luck!

We're charging less for shipping than our direct cost. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but we really can't charge any less. I know that for several of the projects I've sponsored I would have waited and bought through regular retail if I'd had to pay international shipping.

I'm confident, although delays are always possible with anything that has to go through customs. It normally takes two months to get product back once it's been sent to print, so if we go to print by end June we should receive product in September. That's a good margin of safety.

The faction has been in development for three years. We're going to have an update about the design and development process and I'll copy it here as well.

The art is what it is. The kind of precise top down images we need for the battle effect are only possible with CGI. I know our art is polarizing, but I actually think its good and getting better each faction. Short answer...no, we're not changing it.

Thanks for the great questions and good wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
1. International shipping is always unpleasant for kickstarters but the value of the product is excellent. You can field full armies to cover a table with a starter set and with reinforcements you could cover a floor. The value is definitely in comparison with a miniatures game where an equivalent sized army would cost thousands and require months of painting and modelling.

I mean, sure, there's a lot of work that goes into designing a game. But, here it's hard to get the feeling that you're getting value -- especially if you haven't played the game -- when the physical components are few. At the end of the day there are a lot of great games, on Kickstarter and in the FLGS, that also provide you with plenty of "stuff" which makes the purchase feel like money well spent (in addition to the quality gameplay).

At the very least, in terms of components alone, this doesn't look like value. I guess what I'm saying this: in light of the info on BGG and the kickstarter page, I'm not yet convinced my precious gaming dollars are best spent here.

Quote:
2. Most of the past factions were released on time; the November date seems reasonable as the faction is fully designed and playtested and only requires printing.

Thanks!

Quote:
3. The playtesting has been ongoing for several years and although I didn't participate the playtest reports and design notes are all on the publisher website forum to read.

Thanks!

Quote:
4. I've always found the art to be excellent and the top-down view ideal for the game. No idea if different art is practical; what do you mean by better?

I guess what counts as improved art is subjective. I do like the top-down view cards; I should have been clearer that I meant the art on the command cards (e.g. Alexander). It reminds me of the graphics from a which PC game circa 1993.... but not in an ironic way!

CJ: What's your relationship to the project?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
prd1982 wrote:

Just a few questions:

Thanks -- and good luck!

We're charging less for shipping than our direct cost. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but we really can't charge any less. I know that for several of the projects I've sponsored I would have waited and bought through regular retail if I'd had to pay international shipping.

I'm confident, although delays are always possible with anything that has to go through customs. It normally takes two months to get product back once it's been sent to print, so if we go to print by end June we should receive product in September. That's a good margin of safety.

The faction has been in development for three years. We're going to have an update about the design and development process and I'll copy it here as well.

The art is what it is. The kind of precise top down images we need for the battle effect are only possible with CGI. I know our art is polarizing, but I actually think its good and getting better each faction. Short answer...no, we're not changing it.

Thanks for the great questions and good wishes.

Thanks for the reply! (Saw this after my last post.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks great! Very interesting. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McMahon
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backed and looking forward to the new factions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
prd1982 wrote:

CJ: What's your relationship to the project?

I don't have a direct relationship with the project or with the designers/project leads. I was an early adopter of the fantasy version since it was first released in 2005 and have been a participator on the yahoo group and then publisher forums since 2006. I'm also a member of the playtester and rule amendment forum that is open only to long-time contributors although I haven't managed to play in several years so my contributions are infrequent.

I did provide some comment and critique of the campaign details prior to launch but other than that I am merely an interested observer. I haven't actaully backed the game as the historic variant doesn't appeal but I do own all of the fantasy factions and will buy Wuxing when it is released. Whether I kickstart that or wait for retail will be driven by the details of the campaign because international shipping and custom charges can make it excessively expensive.

In regards your decision to back this project I will state that the game system is excellent and although I haven't played either faction I've followed the design notes during their creation and the lead knows his stuff. The terrain pack offering in this campaign is a good deal but if you have it already then the value is limited for international backers. If you do baulk at shipping costs then do seek out the game in retail as it is great and spending £25 on a faction of 12,000pts+ (think Warhammer equivalent) is a steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
I'm in for $45. Looking forward to getting my Romans, Carthaginians, Alexandrians and Persians! Also looking forward to the Wuxing Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Prisciandaro
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed this kickstarter, in fact I just found out about it today 1/10/2015 but I'm looking forward to this set, I have Rome vs Carthage including the reinforcements for it. When will this game go public?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
California
flag msg tools
So when will it be in stores for those of us that missed the Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Prisciandaro
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got it, game looks great. Thanks for all the extra goodies Chad, I am looking forward to playing this game soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.