Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: New player question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Sorry if this is obvious, but how many times can you use a target lock in a complete game. After using it and attacking a player is that pilot done using target locks for the rest of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever a pilot in a ship that has the target lock action available does an action, he or she can spend that action to acquire a target lock. If the ship already has a target lock, it simply moves to the new ship, because it can only hold one target lock at any given time. If it doesn't have a target lock, it'll get a shiny new one. When it spends the target lock, it's gone, but it can acquire a new one in a later action (and through some other effects like pilot abilities or upgrades).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit. When you use a Target Lock, you can reacquire a Target Lock in the next Activation Phase and use it in any following Combat Phase.

So, acquire Target Lock. Use when you want. Rinse and repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Ok so you can reacquire but once you spend the target lock you cannot use again unless you have a pilot ability or upgrade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two concepts here:

The target lock tokens are what you get through the target lock action. Once you spend target lock tokens, they're discarded.

The target lock action, as given by the action bar of a ship, is always available whenever the ship takes an action. So an X-Wing can...

Turn 1: Move, action: Target Lock and acquire a target lock token, attack a TIE and spend the target lock token
Turn 2: Move, action: Target Lock and acquire a target lock token, attack a TIE and spend the target lock token
Turn 3: Move, action: Target Lock and acquire a target lock token, let's say it has nothing to attack and thus doesn't spend it
Turn 4: Move, action: Target Lock and acquire a target lock token on a different ship, still has nothing to attack
Turn 5: It still has the target lock token from turn 4. It moves, Focuses, attacks the ship with the red target lock token and has both a focus and a target lock token available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
So whats the difference between a target lock action and a target lock token? Torpedoes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The action is what you-the-player choose to do. Lock, Focus, whatever.

The token is the status marker conferred by the action. A token is placed and removed according to the rules for that specific token. Taking the Target Lock action means placing the Target Lock token pair (one on your ship, one on the locked ship).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
So you can continuously target lock with an x-wing and keep re-rolling your dice every time? Also appreciate you guys informing me, learn a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-rolling yes, but typically once per turn. Spend the Target Lock to re-roll. Next turn acquire a new target lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! Now this one is pretty simple, after making a k-turn and being stressed. Can you still attack with a stress token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antares CD
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryguy86 wrote:
Thanks guys! Now this one is pretty simple, after making a k-turn and being stressed. Can you still attack with a stress token?

The effects of having a stress token are as follows:
-You may not take any actions*.
-You are not supposed to pick a red maneuver.
-Some abilities/upgrades require you to not have stress tokens to use them.

That's it. Nothing about stress stops you from attacking.

*Note that this does not stop things that assign you tokens or are otherwise *not* actions (like being allowed to acquire a target lock as opposed to being allowed to take a target lock action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Figures, I confused an attack as being an action. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action is done in the Activation Phase, after revealing the dial and moving.
Attacking is part of the Battle/Combat phase.

I think the back of the core set rulebook has a "turn summary"

Are you having loads of fun yet? In about 2 weeks I went from a core set to 3 core, and about 20+ other ships up to wave 3...gotta love amazon bucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah i'm already planning on expanding my set with a couple more core sets.
Got another question, if you target lock on a ship, spend the token to attack. Can you then use another target lock on the same enemy ship, with the same ship you attacked with before? Or can you only do it once and have to use your other ships to target lock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bryguy86 wrote:
Got another question, if you target lock on a ship, spend the token to attack. Can you then use another target lock on the same enemy ship, with the same ship you attacked with before? Or can you only do it once and have to use your other ships to target lock?

Suppose Luke Skywalker has a target lock on an Academy Pilot. Luke attacks the TIE Fighter and spends the target lock to reroll two of his attack dice.

If a Red Squadron Pilot has its own target lock on the same TIE Fighter, it can spend that lock when it attacks later in the round. But the Red Squadron Pilot doesn't gain any benefit from Luke's target lock, nor does Luke gain any benefit from the Red's target lock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally not...some ships/pilots/weapons/etc. have exception.

Here's a breakdown:
I activate my X-wing by revealing the dial and moving. For my action, I acquire a target lock on a ship within range.
--other ships activate, move, take actions --
My turn in battle, I spend my target lock to launch my proton torpedoes. Doing so removes the target lock tokens from the play area. I cannot use it to re-roll any dice this attack because it no longer exists on the playing area. *(Had I not used the target lock for my proton torpedoes, I could have used it to re-roll dice. I can only do one thing with it before I must acquire another)*
--other battles happen --

Next Turn I do EXACTLY the same as above for Activation
--other ships activate --
My turn in battle, I shoot with my lasers (torpedoes are gone) so now I can spend my target lock to re-roll dice.

Does that make sense? Set it up and play through it - even if just soloing - and it will all come together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Makes sense, I was just making sure, say with luke skywalker I lock on to a tie fighter #1. I use the target lock and get my hits in, can I in the next turn use the target lock again with luke skywalker, on the same tie fighter #1. Wasn't sure if you could. Thanks for laying it out for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryguy86 wrote:
The answer to your main question is "there is no limit", either on ships that do the locking or ships that are locked, but I'm going to point something else out:

As a general rule, you do not "spend the token to attack". You can optionally spend a Target Lock token (or a Focus token) as part of an attack, but you need not have any token to make an attack, nor are you required to spend a token if you have one (the key exception here is torpedoes and other expendable munition cards, which do generally require you to spend a target lock to make the attack in the first place -- but such exceptions are always explicitly noted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryguy86 wrote:
Makes sense, I was just making sure, say with luke skywalker I lock on to a tie fighter #1. I use the target lock and get my hits in, can I in the next turn use the target lock again with luke skywalker, on the same tie fighter #1. Wasn't sure if you could. Thanks for laying it out for me.

No, when you spend it you remove it from play. That does not stop you from taking a target lock on the same TIE fighter next turn and using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Great posts, very helpful thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Fleming
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Turn 3: Move, action: Target Lock and acquire a target lock token, let's say it has nothing to attack and thus doesn't spend it

This probably doesn't need to be stated but I will anyway as it comes up in other threads.

If you acquire a target lock on an enemy fighter and don't use it that turn, the lock doesn't go away from that fighter for the next turn (unlike the focus and evade tokens during the cleanup phase.)

So if you acquire a lock on TIE(1) and do not use the lock on TIE(1), on your next turn you can still use the lock on TIE(1) - if you're still in range - and perform a different action (e.g. receive a focus token.)

Now, if you decide to lock onto TIE(2) during the next round instead, the unused target lock on TIE(1) goes away. Only one lock at a time from the same fighter.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please. I want to be sure this is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Have a new question, got a tie advanced and plan on using vader. His ability is he can "perform two actions". Does that mean I can place say a target lock and a focus token in the activation phase? Then spend both of those in the combat phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. However, you can't declare the same action twice on a single ship in a turn, so Vader can't Focus x2.

Note that Vader (or any pilot) can spend 2 or more Focus tokens in a turn -- you just need proper card effects to get those stacked tokens without violating the rule about action selection. See this article for an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fisk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Perfect thanks, also if you have a stress token do you have to perform a green maneuver or can you do a regular move then obviously you'd still have the stress token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do a white maneuver with a stress token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.