Subject: Unable to complete any moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Humphreys
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
So, had a situation in a friendly game happen where a Tholian ship made a bad move and move dead on towards the planet and bumped into it. Because of the move set that it possesses, specifically no 4 forward or 3 sharps, there was not a single move that it could complete to escape bumping into the planet for the rest of the game. Was this played out correctly or is there some rule for this sort of situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burns up on entry or makes it to the ground and creates a nice crater?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
Burns up on entry or makes it to the ground and creates a nice crater?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying you should not fly your spaceship into the gravity well of a planet that you lack the delta-v to escape?

Hmmm... sounds about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
GrandHarrier wrote:
So, had a situation in a friendly game happen where a Tholian ship made a bad move and move dead on towards the planet and bumped into it. Because of the move set that it possesses, specifically no 4 forward or 3 sharps, there was not a single move that it could complete to escape bumping into the planet for the rest of the game. Was this played out correctly or is there some rule for this sort of situation?

That's how I'd play it. I don't believe you can overlap planets, so you're stuck at the last point where you don't overlap. If you can't clear the planet on any subsequent move, you'd basically be stuck there, not being able to take any actions (due to continually bumping).

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think in this case I would allow the ship to stay where it is for a turn and then do a double manoeuvre the following turn to clear the obstacle. This would represent a slow "burn" that gradually changed its orbit until it reached escape velocity. I know things like burns and delta-v mean nothing in the Star Trek universe but this is how it would work in reality for a ship with low thrust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can create a house rule if you really want to, but the rules-as-written say you're kind of screwed. The moral of the story is: don't do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my 12 year old niece would say 'To bad, so sad'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:

That's how I'd play it. I don't believe you can overlap planets, so you're stuck at the last point where you don't overlap. If you can't clear the planet on any subsequent move, you'd basically be stuck there, not being able to take any actions (due to continually bumping).

Kevin

Yet. Can't overlap planets yet. The 'maneuverability' upgrade from the upcoming Bajoran Interceptor 5 lets you overlap planets.
[It's going to be awesome]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.