Sails of Glory» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you look at your "next" turn card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C K

CHESAPEAKE
Virginia
msg tools
I have only played the basic rules so far and enjoyed them. I was thinking about trying out the standard rules. I understand that on the first turn you play 2 cards, and then every subsequent turn, you are playing the maneuver that will be played in 2 turns. Are you allowed to look at the card that is currently face down while you are selecting your maneuver for the 2nd turn out? All I could find in the rules is that you are unable to pre-measure the wind, and you have to be within the veer rating of your ship.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it both ways. Not sure it makes a big difference either way.

It's not meant to be a memory game but some folks like suprising themselves.

Totally up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine any reason why you can't look at the card you've already put down. It represents a decision you already made in the recent past about the steering of the ship. The decision is irrevocable, but certainly knowable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall seeing something about not being able to look at the second card, been a while since I saw the rules.

I think it has to do with adding some semblance of "seamanship" to the game. In the Wings of "whichever" aircraft game, you were not supposed to look at the other maneuver cards.

It does make the game interesting and is one of the easiest house rules to implement either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It also represents the reality that 60 year old captains in 1800 had better memories than 60 year old plastic Hornblowers now have....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boyle
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I seem to recall seeing something about not being able to look at the second card, been a while since I saw the rules.

I think it has to do with adding some semblance of "seamanship" to the game. In the Wings of "whichever" aircraft game, you were not supposed to look at the other maneuver cards.

It does make the game interesting and is one of the easiest house rules to implement either way.

Nothing in the rules prohibiting looking at your preplanned card to refresh your memory (just checked to make sure I remember it correctly!). You may be thinking of not being allowed to check the ships attitude to the wind before planning the second card.

In Wings of War/Glory WWI you plot all the cards at the same time so no need to check them again. Not sure about the WWII game.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.