Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's in the Box? What's in the Box?

Seriously, a component list somewhere would be great. I've seen a few threads that speculate as to what is in the box, but nothing concrete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have counts but here's a picture:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My review in the Reviews section has a complete component list, give me a sec and I'll copy it over.

EDIT:

Contents:
[6] New Mythos cards (YN, YH, GN, GH, BN, BH)
[4] New Generic Encounters
[6] New Expeditions
[6] New Other World Encounter
[8] New Mysteries, 2 per per GOO (total 6)
[12] New GOO-specific Encounters (total 8), 2 for Yog/Cthulhu, including a new set of [8] for Yog.
[64] New GOO-specific Research Encounters, 16 per GOO (total 24)
[24] New conditions: 1 copy of each existing condition card except Blessed and Cursed (total 4), plus 4x Poisoned, 4x Lost in Time and Space, 3x Blessed and Cursed (total 6)
[28] New spells, 2 copies of each spell (total 4), plus 4x Poison Mist, 4x Healing Words.
[8] New Artifacts
[16] New Assets
[24] New Location-Specific Encounters, 8 per continent(total 16)
[7] New Epic Monsters (including Yig), with more variety re: tests
[1] New GOO, Yig
[24] Yig Research Encounters
[6] Yig Mysteries
[8] Yig Special Encounters
[1] New Cultist (total 6)

Final totals:

8 monsters (7 epic + 1 cultist)
4 STA tokens, 2 SAN tokens
168 large cards (6 Mythos, 40 Encounter, 122 GOO)
74 small cards (16 Asset, 8 Artifact, 24 Condition, 28 Spell)

For reference, the base game contains 189 large cards and 120 small cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing that is in the box that no one has commented on yet......

A surprisingly useful cardboard insert. I honestly think this cardboard insert works really well for this small box.

Top section fits 2 groups of large cards perfectly, then the little raised cardboard part separates it from the section that holds the small cards.

I mean, I'm still not using it, everything fits perfectly in the main box but I was impressed with the insert this time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Can we get a few more details spoiled pretty please?
Availability over here in Yurop seems to be rather hit or miss. (Some Hanover based online store I don't use claims to have it, but all my other usual suspects don't yet)

Would like to know:
What does that Heal spell even do?
At least names of new Artifacts and Assets so we get a feel for what's up.
Maybe some example of the new flip sides for relevant spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Can we get a few more details spoiled pretty please?
Availability over here in Yurop seems to be rather hit or miss. (Some Hanover based online store I don't use claims to have it, but all my other usual suspects don't yet)

Would like to know:
What does that Heal spell even do?
At least names of new Artifacts and Assets so we get a feel for what's up.
Maybe some example of the new flip sides for relevant spells.

You really want to know the back of the spell cards? major spoilers, if anyone does that please use spoilers. I don't like seeing the back until I've played them!

As for other things. The only one I remember off the top of my head is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Cursed Sphere. If I remember correctly it gives you a +2 to all skills but it has a chance of being lost on a reckoning. see below post for actual card

If no one else posts by this evening I'll try to give you a few more teasers when I get home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
BertMcCloud wrote:
You really want to know the back of the spell cards?

I'd be interested if the relatively prevalent current theme (one version with worse fail effect but strong high-success bonus, and one who cant get some super bonus but can usually be cast consequence-free and/or has mild fail effects) is largely maintained. Don't need a full spectrum spoilage of spells for that, but a sample of one or 2 would be neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get my copy today
My girlfriend comes back from the US and I ordered it there from amazon. She will have it in her luggage meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so here are a few examples for those that want to know them.

I've not read the backs of any spells and so on so none of that will be in the below but I'm using spoiler formatting just to be on the safe side!

Likewise, these are not all cards. Just a few that I think are worth noting.

Artifacts
Cursed Sphere - +2 to all skills - on reckoning roll a die and become cursed on a 1 or 2.

Elixir of life - action: test will; on a pass spend 1 sanity to recover helath and discard illness, injury & madness conditions

Milk of Shub Niggurath - action: test will, on a pass spend 1 sanity to recover all health, improve strength twice and a monster ambushes you

Serpent crown - action: test will, on a pass spend 1 sanity to gain an ally from the deck - on a reckoning discard an ally.

Sword of Y'ha-Talla - +2will & +3 strength, during combat. Gain a clue if you defeat a monster during combat.

Assets

Fresh Fruit(1) - discard when you rest to gain an extra 1H & 1 S.

Lantern(1) - Once per round re roll a die during a test.

Police Ledger(1) - when you rest test observation, on a pass discard to gain a clue.

Research Student(1) - Action: roll a die. On 5or6 gain a clue; on a 1 discard the nearest clue on the board.

Elder sign (2) - may reroll 1 die when resolving a will test during combat; reduce horror of monsters you encounter by 1.

Mystic Bounty hunter (2) - +1 strength during combat; +2Lore for resolving spell effects.

Intellignece report (3) - immediately gain 2 clues then discard.

Conspiracy theorist (3) - +2 observation during research encounters; on Reckoning roll a die, gain a clue on 4,5,6.

Conditions (no info on back of cards, just front)

Poisoned - don't recover H or S during a rest, instead flip the card. On reckoning lose 1 helath.

Lost in Time and space - you are removed from the board, unaffected by game affects and can't perform actions. Flip the card when you would have an encounter.

Spells (no info on back of cards, just front)

Healing words - Test Lore when an investigator in your space rests. On a pass that investigator recovers an extra 1H&1S

I hope that satisfies any curiosity anyone has before buying or before being able to get hold of it.

There are a lot more cards than just these and there are an awful lot more Encounter cards that I won't bother going through either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Most excellent, thank you very much.

The Elixir artifacts are cool. I take it they are indeed reusable and not discarded on use? (So basically will-triggered "tomes", mechanically, just called elixir for flavor?)

Love the "sanity fishing net", that kind of effect seems much more useful there than for health, where you'd overwhelm with fistful-o-dice anyway.

Various ways of clue generation from the asset deck is a nice help.

Figured the heal would be 1/1 boost, just wasn't sure if local or global, thanks for clearing that up. Still pretty helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
3 more asset spoilers spied in the Dice Tower review
Lucky Ring (3) - may reroll 1 die when rolling a test (no 1/turn limit)
Enchanted Blade (3) - 3 str 1 will in combat encounters
Bodyguard (2) - 1 str, reduce damage of monsters you encounter by 1

That Ring is pretty sweet. Only at first glance another rabbits foot/lantern clone, it lacks a certain sentence to great effect (and is thus a good bit more expensive)

Overall, the increased redundance pleases me. Decks being bloated to the point of not being strategically usable anymore is often a worry with these "moar stuff" expansions, but we're getting more rerolls, more +2 spellcasting, more decent weapons, etc stuff *without* bloating the deck by twice the size, so in effect these effects become more reliable to aquire (and more varied in what exactly grants them, flavor-wise).

Still slightly worried about some key services though, they could do well with a second copy in the deck about soon.

Edit: You know, if i'm not getting a notification of availability from my friendly non-local game mailer today, I'm going to summon Yig myself. goo *takes Dark Pact condition*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
Edit: You know, if i'm not getting a notification of availability from my friendly non-local game mailer today, I'm going to summon Yig myself. goo *takes Dark Pact condition*

*flips Dark Pact condition*
"Betraying all you hold dear (=the slack of ordering where you are already registered), you order from somewhere else than your Usual Suspects.
Search the Artifact deck for a Forsaken Lore tome artifact, then search the Asset deck for an additonal new Usual Suspect institution asset, because delivery to up here in 1 day is pretty phenomenal. Then discard this card."

So, finally in my hands. Probably could've had it for a week now if I'd been less stubborn about where to order. shake

On topic, lets finish up those player card spoilers.

Assets
Lantern (1) - 1 additonal die for a test once per round (correction from upthread, its not a rabbit foot clone)
.45 Cold Revolver (1) - 3 str in combat once per round
Tear Gas (1) - discard to reroll 2 str dice in combat, monster dmg -2
Police Assistance (1) - immediately discard 1 monster with toughness 2 or less, then discard
Appeal to the Council (1) - may immediately spend 2 clues to retreat Doom by 1, then discard
Syndicate Agent (2) - 2 str in combat, may reroll 1 str die in combat

Lots of really cheap pretty useful stuff, nice. Also a good broad selection of mid-stength combat help now. I like.

Artifacts
Massay di Requem per shuggay - see image section
Zanthu Tablets - +3 (!) when resolving spells, Action: test lore, on pass may spend 1S to draw 2 spells, then discard 1
Satchel of the Void - cannot gain Litas condition, Action: look at top gate in stack, gain clue if matches current omen

Dat Tablets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Weltenreiter wrote:
I'd be interested if the relatively prevalent current theme (one version with worse fail effect but strong high-success bonus, and one who cant get some super bonus but can usually be cast consequence-free and/or has mild fail effects) is largely maintained

So, this is going to be hugely spoileriffic for those who prefer to explore card backs in game, but I am extremely impressed with that they did to the spell patterns and want to talk about it, so have a big wall-o-spoiler. (mostly analysis, only 1 text spoiler as example)
The main thing that catches the eye is that "staple" spells that were used and relied on a lot (Plumb, Feed) mostly merely got additional copies that don't have particular super effects, or only one mild bonus effect and one no effect. Also mostly keep some expense at moderate success numbers.

Previously somewhat underrated spells tend to get 2 copies that BOTH have bonus effects, but milder ones than your usual 3 success ones, and get them at 2 successes already. A few even got really strong new effects (Most spectacular example: Conjuration-3 at 4 successes allows you to gain an artifact instead of an asset.)
I really really like this "sugar" approach to rewarding a broader spell use, over, say, "whip" approaches such as nerfing Plumb would be.

Apart from that, new possible effects are "lose spell if you rolled any 1s" as a 0-sux effect, and penalizing related activities as a low-medium success penalty (like any tests after using Clairvoyance and Mist), Health loss and penalties to the target also seem more common.
So we got a nicely broader and more interesting spectrum of consequences than ye olde lose 1 San.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Milk of Shub Niggurath - action: test will, on a pass spend 1 sanity to recover all health, improve strength twice and a monster ambushes you

Fresh Fruit - discard when you rest to gain an extra 1H & 1 S.

Isn't it funny that - being in the Lovecraftian Realm - the Fresh Fruit appears way more weird and out of place to me, than the Milk of Shub Niggurath ?

Although the idea of the latter is the most disgusting thing I have yet encountered in any of the Lovecraft boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Woo, first game 3p/4i against Yig.

Lost severely. It was pretty awesome. goo

I mostly blame gross mishandling of turn 1 "can't close gates" Rumor, but:
- damn, that's some hard everyday encounters
- Poison is totes the suck
- Heal spell is cool (assuming you may heal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost in Time and space - you are removed from the board, unaffected by game affects and can't perform actions. Flip the card when you would have an encounter.

Terrible decision to bring back that condition from Arkham Horror. The delayed condition on its own is already buzzkill enough and I hoped that they would at least re-design those effects.

It's not that I think that those effects are too tough for the players, it's just not fun for a player to skip/lose an entire turn - especially if you see the other players planning and doing their turns and having adventures.

My only gripe with this game so far, too bad. Let's just hope that this condition is rare and no others will follow, since we now have a) delayed, b) detained and c) lost in time and space.

I know that some will (of course) disagree with me on this one, but seriously: losing an entire turn is on the same page with rolling dice for movement. Bad game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
mbmbmbmbmb
debiant wrote:

Huh, where did I say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BadPritt wrote:
debiant wrote:

Huh, where did I say that?

Cute Funny Friends avatar.

Man, do I hate that game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.